Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gigs that make you go DEAF

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Motorhead birthday party at the Hammersmith Odeon (it'll never be the Apollo in my eyes) many years ago. Started to get my hearing back after 2 days!

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
I saw Ultravox in 1983 - made the mistake of standing next to some speakers. When the drums 'bonged' during Vienna it almost blew me over.

I get deaf when I hear Status Quo - I cover my ears, see.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I think it depends WHERE you stand. Right down the front and next to the speakers for The Stranglers at the Brighton Centre was pretty intense - but you never stay in the same place for long when EVERYONE is pogoing.

God I'm old.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think Nazareth were the loudest for me, although Led Zepp and Man were pretty close.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Lush said:
I think it depends WHERE you stand. Right down the front and next to the speakers for The Stranglers at the Brighton Centre was pretty intense - but you never stay in the same place for long when EVERYONE is pogoing.

God I'm old.

Pogoing?

How QUAINT.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Do they still 'mosh' at gigs ?? I think that's what was going on at VR... along with crowd-surfing and other assorted loutish behaviours!

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
My right ear is still bad from when I went to see the Victim's family at the basement. My first ever night out in Brighton.

That was about 15 years ago

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I got deafened @ Motorhead, twice. But being Worthing I fitted right in with everybody else.

I seem to remember a young punk outfit, (prob middle aged accountants now), Birdland @ The Zap being a bit noisy.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
In 1991 I saw a triple bill of: INXS, Jesus Jones and Ziggy Marley (bit of an odd line up I know), couldn't hear a thing for about a day and a half afterwards, stupid thing is I couldn't be sure which act had done the damage, they were all loud.

niknokseagull

Give us a biscuit
Oct 8, 2003
London
Anthrax at Hammy O in 1987. The night they 'officially' (according to the 'rock' press at the time) broke the decibel record for the venue (I believe Motorhead have since regained said record). During Danny Spitz guitar solo (aaah, the days when you had to sit through ten minute guitar and drum solo's, whatever happened to them?), you could see people on both sides of the stalls running away to the back rows. Ear splitting. Literally.

You knew you'd been to a good gig on a Friday if you could still hear it the following Tuesday.

Did you know ..... the Butthole Surfers used to use bass effects of such strength and low frequency, certain audience members were found to be susceptible to vomiting or would just pass out.

That is rock 'n roll.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Saw Oasis in London and stood infront of the speakers in the front row.

Had a German listening test the next morning.

Could not hear a thing but well worth it.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Lush said:
Right down the front and next to the speakers for The Stranglers at the Brighton Centre was pretty intense

I used to have a bootleg tape of the Stranglers at the Brighton Centre. They suffered some sort of technical problem after a couple of tracks and Hugh Cornwell was left to entertain the crowd for five minutes while it was sorted. Very funny. Was that the same gig?

Gigs that made you deaf? Killing Joke gigs. ALWAYS.

Last edited:

Lush

Mods' Pet
The Laughing Bluebird said:
I used to have a bootleg tape of the Stranglers at the Brighton Centre. They suffered some sort of technical problem after a couple of tracks and Hugh Cornwell was left to entertain the crowd for five minutes while it was sorted. Very funny. Was that the same gig?

Pardon?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The Who at Sussex Uni in that small hall they used to use

and

Simple Minds at Massey Hall in Toronto-I have never heard anything as loud, ears rang continuously for nearly a week and felt like they bled for days too:eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here