Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Giggs and Bellamy not singing GSTQ

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Surely those principles have been abandoned by agreeing to represent GB?
No they haven't. Do you really believe it is impossible to feel pride for your country but apathetic towards the national anthem?

I refer you to a woman who IS representing the nation and DOESN'T sing the national anthem again:

"I personally probably won’t sing (the National Anthem) but we’ll be standing there proud to represent the country. It’s just a personal choice for me."

I wish people would just accept that a significant portion of the country doesn't like it's anthem. If you are one of those who feel pride towards GSTQ then feel pleased about it, rather than intolerantly sniping at those who don't, when a dignified silence is offered instead.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
A truly dreadful article. The argument appears to be "Don't like our national anthem? Well abandon your principles because you are representing Britain, because I say so"
They abandoned their principles by agreeing to become part of the british team.
Kim Little told a reporters after the match
‘I’m delighted to be representing Scotland in the Great Britain team.’
She is a chippy jock who has abandoned her principles by joining the GB team so she can take part in a high profile event such as the olympics .

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
No they haven't. Do you really believe it is impossible to feel pride for your country but apathetic towards the national anthem?

I refer you to a woman who IS representing the nation and DOESN'T sing the national anthem again:

"I personally probably won’t sing (the National Anthem) but we’ll be standing there proud to represent the country. It’s just a personal choice for me."

I wish people would just accept that a significant portion of the country doesn't like it's anthem. If you are one of those who feel pride towards GSTQ then feel pleased about it, rather than intolerantly sniping at those who don't, when a dignified silence is offered instead
i dont particularrly like the anthem , but i'd sing it for the sake of politeness and respect, in fact i HAVE sung it out of politeness and respect.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They abandoned their principles by agreeing to become part of the british team.
Kim Little told a reporters after the match
‘I’m delighted to be representing Scotland in the Great Britain team.’
She is a chippy jock who has abandoned her principles by joining the GB team so she can take part in a high profile event such as the olympics .
That is a different argument. You might be right, but that quote hardly proves the point you're trying to make.

The point being argued here is whether or not anyone playing for GB has a duty to sing the national anthem, and I don't think they do. I'm as proudly English as you are, and I wouldn't sing it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
i dont particularrly like the anthem , but i'd sing it for the sake of politeness and respect, in fact i HAVE sung it out of politeness and respect.
I hate the anthem, so when asked, I will stand out of politeness and respect, but won't sing it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
And you'd refuse to sing it because you dont agree with the sentiments behind it , even this is a bit silly as it wouldnt really hurt would it ? do you think its a coincidence that giggs and the rest of the of the pursed lipped welshmen are all staunch republicans, or that they wont sing it purely because they are welsh ?

See post 197 above.

Notwithstanding that our National Anthem is an misnomer - it isn't about my country, it's about one person - I'm also awful at singing. If we could sing about England or Britain, I'd belt it out. But to sing about one person, whom I can't strictly relate to (which is different from the political dimension of monarchy v republicanism), quiet contemplation is far more respectful.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Apols if posted before, but watching Team GB's dire performance last night, I couldn't help being reminded of the Allies team in Escape to Victory, a hotch-potch of players thrown together for a one-off event type of thing (with Stuart Pearce being sent to the Eastern Front as a human shield if we lost):

Escape-to-victory-6-13-101.jpg

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
That is a different argument. You might be right, but that quote hardly proves the point you're trying to make.

The point being argued here is whether or not anyone playing for GB has a duty to sing the national anthem, and I don't think they do. I'm as proudly English as you are, and I wouldn't sing it.

How do you feel about "team GB " in the football ? genuinely , I have absolutely zero interest in it at all, and a large part of that is just not feeling that giggs etc are representing me , as well as not really feeling that football should be an olympic event, if i was ever selected to play for team GB ( impossible because i've never played at any standard higher than sunday morning pub teams) i'd quite simply turn it down , rather than live a bit of a lie for the sake of being in the olympics, as im pretty sure that giggs and all the others have.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So that's your argument is it? People who refuse to sing the national anthem out of a point of principle are weird because they don't mind singing a nonsensical Queen number when doing karaoke. Erm, righto.
That's nothing like what I said. BadFish said he didn't sing it because he did didn't see the point of asking someone who doesn't exist to save someone, and I pointed out it's just an anthem, and that we often sing words that don't equate to reality. You don't have to believe in god to sing your country's anthem.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
That's nothing like what I said. BadFish said he didn't sing it because he did didn't see the point of asking someone who doesn't exist to save someone, and I pointed out it's just an anthem, and that we often sing words that don't equate to reality. You don't have to believe in god to sing your country's anthem.
I bet there are people on here with the same feelings as simster and badfish who got married in church.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How do you feel about "team GB " in the football ? genuinely , I have absolutely zero interest in it at all, and a large part of that is just not feeling that giggs etc are representing me , as well as not really feeling that football should be an olympic event, if i was ever selected to play for team GB ( impossible because i've never played at any standard higher than sunday morning pub teams) i'd quite simply turn it down , rather than live a bit of a lie for the sake of being in the olympics, as im pretty sure that giggs and all the others have.
I'm a lot less apathetic than I was at the start of the tournament, but neverthless I'd much rather watch the swimming, although this is partly because we are embarrassingly crap and these players are over exposed in any case. I think I'll be a lot more interested if we make it to the quarters. The women's competition holds a lot more interest for me, as they rarely get the chance to take centre stage in Britain, and have played some good stuff. 75,000 sold for the Brazil match at Wembley tomorrow night, and deservedly so.

I really couldn't give a shite about the politics involved though, as I really think it's unimportant and being stirred up by mongs like that twat in the Daily Mail. If you're playing for Team GB, then you've got my support.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I bet there are people on here with the same feelings as simster and badfish who got married in church.
The issue of God is not the reason I don't sing it. I did get married in a church, but if I was vehimently atheist, then I wouldn't have.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I'm a lot less apathetic than I was at the start of the tournament, but neverthless I'd much rather watch the swimming, although this is partly because we are embarrassingly crap and these players are over exposed in any case. I think I'll be a lot more interested if we make it to the quarters. The women's competition holds a lot more interest for me, as they rarely get the chance to take centre stage in Britain, and have played some good stuff. 75,000 sold for the Brazil match at Wembley tomorrow night, and deservedly so.

I really couldn't give a shite about the politics involved though, as I really think it's unimportant and being stirred up by mongs like that twat in the Daily Mail. If you're playing for Team GB, then you've got my support.
You should look at some of kelly's previous articles and column's he has far more in common politically with you than me, even so i dont believe he deserves the epiphet of "twat" !

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is basically Gus's fault. Give us a decent signing and we can stop talking about singing.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
No they haven't.

Funny it's the Welsh that have decided en-masse not to sing! Like I said before I believe it's more about their Welshness than anything else so yes they have already compromised their so called principles. I dont care who sings and who doesn't just so long as no-ones trying to make some crappy nationalistic stand.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I'll wait to find out what the reason(s) is/are - should they needlessly wish to tell us.

And whatever reason they cook up between themselves and their agents you can guarantee it will be a top grade PR exercise aimed at deflecting any criticism from the players.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm not sure we should get overly vexed by them not singing the anthem, is it such a big deal? I'm not sure how many athletes sing it when they've won gold? I would say two things though, firstly that the players could just avoid the flack by just getting on and singing it, I think it says more about the insecurities of the Welsh than their commitment to 'Team GB'.... Secondly, we (England) should use a distinct national anthem anyway - Jerusalem. Again, the fact that we're not overly fussed demonstrates that we are confident in itself, no need to prove how 'English' we are, no need to go nuts on St Georges day etc....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here