Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Germany v England

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm not sure that either Bowen or Grealish can be described as England's best player unless your prism / terms of reference are incredibly narrow.

Bowen's had 1.25 glorified friendlies and Grealish flatters to deceive more than Graham Potter circa 2020.

I would suggest then that your 'prism' etc etc are narrow.

It's a forum and I'm expressing my opinion that, whilst he is a complete arse, Grealish is our best player.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
So England played poorly but came away with a draw away to Germany. That's the sort of thing good teams do, right?

It is so bizarre how so many seemingly sensible and intelligent people lose their shit when it comes to England. There's an almost desperate need for England to fail. If that's not true then it's how it comes across.

Better players and better managers have consistently done worse than this squad and this manager. Just enjoy it.:shrug:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Good result . Hung in there when not at best . Sign of a good team

Great subs from Southgate .

Could of won it at the end with a bit of luck

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If I was Swanny I'd save that to bounce for when you post that you're tuning into the quarter-final. But I'm not that sad (or organised).

You are putting words in my mouth! I am contemplating giving the tournament a miss but when push comes to shove, being December with no Potterball available I will almost certainly be having a peak at quite a few games, not just England. Albion players in abundance, none for England though :smile:

I would like to think that as a point of principal I’ll be boycotting, not at all convinced I’ll manage it :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So England played poorly but came away with a draw away to Germany. That's the sort of thing good teams do, right?

It is so bizarre how so many seemingly sensible and intelligent people lose their shit when it comes to England. There's an almost desperate need for England to fail. If that's not true then it's how it comes across.

Better players and better managers have consistently done worse than this squad and this manager. Just enjoy it.:shrug:

The last thing I want is for England to fail but feeling that we could be so much better tactically and in the football we play, given the players available (if not picked by our current manager), is hardly losing your shit.

Good for you if that performance impressed you in any way but hardly a reason to have a go at fans who feel it was mostly clueless :shrug:

Enjoy it? Nah, I didn’t enjoy watching us being outclassed for all but the last 15

Can’t fault the goal attempts but they didn’t come from incisive football, more hoof and chase.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A quick scroll through the last few pages would suggest many need to embrace their inner bandwagon jumperinerer.

England, with no Albion representative, playing a glorified friendly in June.

What's there to be agitated about?

Ignore all the noise.
Wait till the quarterfinals.
Get all the frustration out in one game.

While in the meantime, support...

...Equador

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The last thing I want is for England to fail but feeling that we could be so much better tactically and in the football we play, given the players available (if not picked by our current manager), is hardly losing your shit.

Good for you if that performance impressed you in any way but hardly a reason to have a go at fans who feel it was mostly clueless :shrug:

Enjoy it? Nah, I didn’t enjoy watching us being outclassed for all but the last 15

Can’t fault the goal attempts but they didn’t come from incisive football, more hoof and chase.

I've not actually seen the game, I was fast asleep while we were apparently labouring to a draw.

My point is that there are too many people who have it in for England. We played badly and drew against one of the traditional major powers. Playing badly and not losing is usually seen as the trait of a decent side. Yet it's used as a stick to beat the manager. If we'd have won would anyone(well, obviously some of us would...) be saying what a great result it was? No, lots of people would be saying its only because Germany are shit. If we'd have lost it would have been because we always lose to the first half decent team we play.

How can southgate/England win if he gets slated if we lose and he gets slated if we win?

As strange as it may seem considering how much I've been defending him recently I'm not actually a massive Southgate fan. I just think his record deserves more respect. He has his flaws - strange to the onlooker squad selections and poor in game management being the most notable but whatever he is doing right is working pretty well.

Much like the last few years have been boon times for Brighton fans it's the same with England. A world cup semi final and Euros final is a big achievement. Instead of enjoying it though there are too many people who only seem happy when they can slag off the manager or team(well certain players at least) .

We could always go back to the years between 2006-2016 where our tournamnet record read: didn't qualify, struggled through the group before getting hammered in the first knockout game, defended our way to a quarter final penalty defeat, knocked out winless in the group, laboured through the group before being knocked out in the first round by ICELAND.

Those were dark days, where the players didn't look interested, the managers appeared clueless and the whole experience was joyless. Four finals wins in a decade, none in a knockout game. The last 4 years have been incredible in comparison.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

boik

Find it amazing that anyone who saw the slo-mo is accusing Kane of diving. Yes he cheats by backing in to win dubious free kicks, and no he was never getting to the ball, but it was clear as day that the defenders knee crashed into kane's calf which pushed that leg into the other one tripping him up.

Dubious penalty but never a dive. Some people always seem to need someone to hate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sums it up from the knockers

We did get a point last night

I'm not knocking anyone. Thought we played well last night in what was a bit of an experimental side, .....Musiala had a good game as did Kimmich :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Find it amazing that anyone who saw the slo-mo is accusing Kane of diving. Yes he cheats by backing in to win dubious free kicks, and no he was never getting to the ball, but it was clear as day that the defenders knee crashed into kane's calf which pushed that leg into the other one tripping him up.

Dubious penalty but never a dive. Some people always seem to need someone to hate.

For such a big and strong guy....he does come crashing down rather easily though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here