Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] George Floyd trial

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not right, is it. It will change with time, though, like all things.

I think there’ve been some significant improvements.

You and I remember (or were told of) blatant racism by landlords, most probably racist bobbies I suggest in large numbers and racist commanders, corruptly racist police detectives (eg mates of the Lawrence accused’s families), gangs hunting down Asians and Blacks, NO black people in the professions.

Still work to do of course.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Still sentences are handed down within guide lines.

As for ushers making mistakes, I'm sure the errors are corrected and suitable apologies made - jumping to conclusions is hardly racism

Why would you assume that? The anecdotes I have read, don’t indicate that at all.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hmmmm.....jumping to conclusions is certainly 'unconscious bias' and this is rightly frowned upon in the mainstream workplace now - I even went on a training course on it.

I went to meet a small group of first year undergraduates 18 months ago, who were waiting for me at the lift lobby. I ushered then through the security door. A woman in her 50s, black, followed them. 'Can I help you?' I asked. 'I'm one of your tutees' she said.

Call it unconscious bias or racism or ageism or what you want. She was livid, and it took a fair bit of sweaty-palmed backsliding to reduce the looks of daggers I was receiving. My bad. Entirely. I'd like to think it was the grey hair and evident maturity that fooled me, but I can't be sure. Few of our students are of an African heritage (more than 60% of those I teach are of a south Asian heritage, but whatever) so . . . . yeah, my bad. :nono:

Call it whatever you like, Harry, but that ain't racism. You didn't hate her, or disrespect her; you were polite and helpful, and treated her like a fellow human being (which of course she was). If that is racism, we'd better all sign up to the Ku Klux Klan and bugger all those who 'rightly frown'! Rightly frown on what, FFS? Friendliness? Courtesy? Politeness? Helpfulness?

There are plenty of people in this world who do not 'look like' students - or what everybody expects 'students' to look like. This is more about stereotyping students (of whatever ethnicity) rather than bias against people of colour.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
As for ushers making mistakes, I'm sure the errors are corrected and suitable apologies made - jumping to conclusions is hardly racism

Of course not. Their jumping to conclusions is simply prejudiced stereotyping according to skin colour. Oh, hold on...

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of course not. Their jumping to conclusions is simply prejudiced stereotyping according to skin colour. Oh, hold on...

Oh hold on indeed. Making instant judgements (always subject to revision as further facts are revealed) is human nature, you and I do it all the time. Is this person a threat (and that's a decision women have to make all the time, sadly, as sadly demonstrated by thhe recent Sarah Everard case)? Is this person friendly? Why is your friend your friend ? - initially because you looked a each other and saw something you liked. All sorts of decisions are made instantly on sight. At job interviews, it's a well known fact that within seconds whether the interviewee has a chance of getting the job or not. It's called first impressions.

HWT isn't racist, and his actions weren't racist. He didn't stereotype black people (and it's significant that you feel the need to precede stereotyping with 'prejudiced'). He was very probably stereotyping students (just stereotyping, not prejudiced stereotyping) and the good lady didn't fit the profile - hence his polite question.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Hmmmm.....jumping to conclusions is certainly 'unconscious bias' and this is rightly frowned upon in the mainstream workplace now - I even went on a training course on it.

I went to meet a small group of first year undergraduates 18 months ago, who were waiting for me at the lift lobby. I ushered then through the security door. A woman in her 50s, black, followed them. 'Can I help you?' I asked. 'I'm one of your tutees' she said.

Call it unconscious bias or racism or ageism or what you want. She was livid, and it took a fair bit of sweaty-palmed backsliding to reduce the looks of daggers I was receiving. My bad. Entirely. I'd like to think it was the grey hair and evident maturity that fooled me, but I can't be sure. Few of our students are of an African heritage (more than 60% of those I teach are of a south Asian heritage, but whatever) so . . . . yeah, my bad. :nono:

It is quite refreshing to hear you take ''Ownership'' of that error '' H '' - many people don't

I see on here all the time loads of people get enraged when Brighton don't get afforded the same privileges on MOTD or other media outlets that say Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City do. Many of the same people fail to recognise similar bias perpetrated against others. This isn't a real strong analogy but I use it just because people on here will recognise it and have felt it.

Most people don't see '' the bias'' until it is directed against them or their team or their family. Perpetrators of '' the bias '' all to often dismiss it and claim that the recipient of the bias should ''get over it''

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is quite refreshing to hear you take ''Ownership'' of that error '' H '' - many people don't

I see on here all the time loads of people get enraged when Brighton don't get afforded the same privileges on MOTD or other media outlets that say Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City do. Many of the same people fail to recognise similar bias perpetrated against others. This isn't a real strong analogy but I use it just because people on here will recognise it and have felt it.

Most people don't see '' the bias'' until it is directed against them or their team or their family. Perpetrators of '' the bias '' all to often dismiss it and claim that the recipient of the bias should ''get over it''

Indeed. That's why they are called unconscious biases.

Related story: When I went on my unconscious bias training some years ago, it was on another uni campus, so I cycled over. It was summer so I had my prescription sun glasses on. I forgot to take my regular glasses with me (in a usual rush). I watched the first couple of slides but couldn't read them so I had to put on my snazzy shades. I looked a dickhead, in a dark room in shades. Anyway....at the end I was one who asked a question. The presenter was quite hostile, and patronizing. I did smirk at her reaction (because I thought I knew the reason for it) which made things worse. At the end I took the time to explain why I was wearing shades, and she backed off. A bit. Unconscious bias!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh hold on indeed. Making instant judgements (always subject to revision as further facts are revealed) is human nature, you and I do it all the time. Is this person a threat (and that's a decision women have to make all the time, sadly, as sadly demonstrated by thhe recent Sarah Everard case)? Is this person friendly? Why is your friend your friend ? - initially because you looked a each other and saw something you liked. All sorts of decisions are made instantly on sight. At job interviews, it's a well known fact that within seconds whether the interviewee has a chance of getting the job or not. It's called first impressions.

HWT isn't racist, and his actions weren't racist. He didn't stereotype black people (and it's significant that you feel the need to precede stereotyping with 'prejudiced'). He was very probably stereotyping students (just stereotyping, not prejudiced stereotyping) and the good lady didn't fit the profile - hence his polite question.

Hang on a minute, Oxy was specifically replying to your reference to ushers, not to what HWT said at all. You're confusing things.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

As already pointed out, I wasn't responding to any posts about HWT.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Watching CNN until the Brighton game starts. They are saying they are very surprised at the order in which the prosecution witnesses are being presented. They say typically you start strong and finish strong. So the were surprised that George Floyd's brother Philonise has already appeared where they thought his testimony would have been better heard right at the end when the prosecution is wrapping up. I thought his brothers testimony was very emotional but very well delivered

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Watching CNN until the Brighton game starts. They are saying they are very surprised at the order in which the prosecution witnesses are being presented. They say typically you start strong and finish strong. So the were surprised that George Floyd's brother Philonise has already appeared where they thought his testimony would have been better heard right at the end when the prosecution is wrapping up. I thought his brothers testimony was very emotional but very well delivered

The last Witness was brilliant as well though. Really knew his stuff and was quite '' unshakable ''

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The Minnesota officer who killed Daunte Wright will now be charged with second degree manslaughter.

I’ve cracked it! Here’s what America should do. Damn, I’m good.

With immediate effect, Police should STOP pulling cars over for suspected brake light failures, bent aerials, missing hubcaps, defect windscreen wipers, and, most of all, the crime that is a WONKY or loose number plate. Because, if they let such HIDEOUS offences go, to be dealt with by, for example, a garage or qualified car mechanic instead, this will prevent Officers from stopping - and therefore needing to shoot, obviously - thousands of BLACK drivers as a standard procedure. Thus saving thousands of lives p.a. and boosting the local automobile economy. Of course, in time, Police departments will need to target a different minority instead, but that detail can be worked out later. My choice? Republicans...

Last edited:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Disturbing on so many levels.

Yeah. I tend to avoid videos of graphic violence/people dying, but after reading about the story, did watch this one. Really unpleasant. The fear in his voice his palpable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here