Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] George Floyd trial

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just seen the cross examination of that witness. Good as the defence counsel are. They never managed to shake his testimony in the slightest.

Agreed. Admittedly I've been flicking all afternoon between Floyd and The Masters, but from what I've seen, Tobin has not been led by Nelson's questions into agreeing with very much, and has disagreed strongly with several of Nelson's assertions particularly with regard to the effect (or lack of) on Floyds lung capacity when Chauvin was crawling all over his neck and back. Nelson is also trying to push the pre-existing condition of Floyd's lungs due to him previously having had covid, which didn't get much traction with Tobin. And again, this walks straight into the 'eggshell skull' aspect - the fact that Floyd *may* have had an underlying condition that made him weaker, does not in any way absolve Chauvin of causing his death through his actions.

Nelson is clearly a good defence lawyer. He is concise and well prepared, he's doing his best to thrown in curveballs, muddy the waters, sow seeds of doubt for the jury. He's been impressive. But he's basically got the job of the Sheffield Utd goalkeeper - far too much is flying past him into the back of the net, and he's gonna lose. He can only do so much with this shit sandwich of a case.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Putting aside the 'fair trial' arguments and looking at he ramifications of this trial on the city, Mineapolis council have dug their own grave here. They can't afford to convict Chauvin and they can't afford to aquit him. If they convict him, they will never be able to refund their police force which they are actively trying to do after foolishing defunding it entirely. If they aquit him, riots will ensue though i suspect riots will ensue for any verdict that doesn't put Chauvin on death row anyway. Shitty situation all around. I reckon he'll be aquited though.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Putting aside the 'fair trial' arguments and looking at he ramifications of this trial on the city, Mineapolis council have dug their own grave here. They can't afford to convict Chauvin and they can't afford to aquit him. If they convict him, they will never be able to refund their police force which they are actively trying to do after foolishing defunding it entirely. If they aquit him, riots will ensue though i suspect riots will ensue for any verdict that doesn't put Chauvin on death row anyway. Shitty situation all around. I reckon he'll be aquited though.

Cannot see him being aquited. I seriously hope not anyway. Would be a gross travesty of justice and the ensuing riots would cause countless other deaths. They would spread to the UK too

I have hope that justice prevails.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
if he's acquitted it will make last year look like a 9 year olds birthday party .......he will be found guilty of manslaughter and there will be an immediate appeal , his mental health will no doubt be used/called into question ........it's going to be a circus.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
if he's acquitted it will make last year look like a 9 year olds birthday party .......

He won’t be acquitted.

"After the officers have found themselves that there's no pulse, the knee remains on the neck for another two minutes and 44 seconds."

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

The link says:
"451: Unavailable due to legal reasons

We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, call 972-398-4200."

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The link says:

Via VPN

Today,the Dallas County District Attorney’s Office dismissed charges of misdemeanor deadly conduct against Dallas Police Sgt. Kevin Mansell and Officers Danny Vasquez and Dustin Dillard in the death of 32-year-old Rockwall native Anthony Timpa.

This case was the result of Timpa’s death, who was arrested for erratic behavior and later died at a hospital.

The Dallas County Medical Examiner ruled the death a homicide, saying Timpa died of cardiac arrest caused by the effects of cocaine and the stress of physical restraint.

On December 6, 2017, the case was presented to the Grand Jury. Presentation of the case lasted two days, and included testimony of three medical examiners, including Dr. Nizam Peerwani, a medical examiner hired by the family. The Grand Jury had concluded the officers engaged in reckless conduct that placed Timpa in imminent danger of serious bodily injury.

Today’s decision to dismiss the charges was made following a lengthy investigation and determination as to the official cause of death of Timpa on August 10, 2016.

Dallas County Criminal District Attorney John Creuzot met with all three medical examiners regarding their findings. They stated they do not believe the officers acted recklessly.

Additionally, they cannot, and will not, testify to the elements of the indictment beyond a reasonable doubt.

Creuzot met with family members and their attorney last Thursday to inform them of the decision.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Its not the 'Minneapolis council' - he has been charged by Minnesota State. And its obviously not their decision whether he ends convicted or not, but they have thrown EVERYTHING at this case in order to secure a conviction, including 13 lawyers, 9 attourneys, and have called up gawd knows how many expert witnesses to testify. I think you can be certain they want this (ex) cop to go down.

I'm not sure why you think Minnesota State will never be able to "refund" the MPD if Chauvin is convicted. Or even what that means tbh. ???

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
if he's acquitted it will make last year look like a 9 year olds birthday party .......he will be found guilty of manslaughter and there will be an immediate appeal , his mental health will no doubt be used/called into question ........it's going to be a circus.

If he is acquitted then we are back in the realms of Lynching on the Court House Lawns - It would send a signal that under no circumstances can a Policeman be convicted of killing a black man or woman, no matter what evidence there is.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
If he is acquitted then we are back in the realms of Lynching on the Court House Lawns - It would send a signal that under no circumstances can a Policeman be convicted of killing a black man or woman, no matter what evidence there is.

His colour has nothing to do with it. As has been shown the same thing happened to a white guy and those officers were acquitted.

The only difference is it's not MSM news when they do it to a white guy.

Jan 30, 2008
Cannot see him being aquited. I seriously hope not anyway. Would be a gross travesty of justice and the ensuing riots would cause countless other deaths. They would spread to the UK too

I have hope that justice prevails.

What has this country got to do with a trial in America ????
Regards
DF

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Regards
DF

*sigh*

29298046-8394281-Thousands_of_Black_Lives_Matter_protesters_piled_into_Parliament-a-70_1591460814419.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Regards
DF

I tend to agree with you.

Imho Chauvin is as guilty as hell, I hope he’s found guilty of murder. I am concerned though that a lone juror might be blind or dim to huge weight of evidence.

Either way, why should this lead to rioting in the UK? Rioting is not something anyone from their UK armchair should get rather excited about .... businesses get destroyed, livelihoods destroyed, people are hurt. Croydon 2011 shows this. Who exactly gained from that. No one.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I tend to agree with you.

Imho Chauvin is as guilty as hell, I hope he’s found guilty of murder. I am concerned though that a lone juror might be blind or dim to huge weight of evidence.

Either way, why should this lead to rioting in the UK? Rioting is not something anyone from their UK armchair should get rather excited about .... businesses get destroyed, livelihoods destroyed, people are hurt. Croydon 2011 shows this. Who exactly gained from that. No one.

Sadly he's going to get away with it one way or another. Imagine if a Black police officer had killed a white suspect in this way then imagine the legal consequences, would the Black policeman have just been sacked ? The racism in this case is pretty damned obvious and unless there is a major sea change in US societal racism then all that is left is rioting and insurrection until things change. UK society is a microcosm and echo chamber for what happens in the US. Yes, you can say that rioting and mob violence is wrong but if things do not change then what options are left as a way for people to protest ?

The current governments recent " Report " in to racism was a report by numbers that simply does not address the issues in any way. You only have to see the Twitter feeds of BAME footballers if their team has lost to see this, almost every post from Dianne Abbott is followed by a tide of racist vitriol, eventually very bad things are going to happen.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sadly he's going to get away with it one way or another. Imagine if a Black police officer had killed a white suspect in this way then imagine the legal consequences, would the Black policeman have just been sacked ? The racism in this case is pretty damned obvious and unless there is a major sea change in US societal racism then all that is left is rioting and insurrection until things change. UK society is a microcosm and echo chamber for what happens in the US. Yes, you can say that rioting and mob violence is wrong but if things do not change then what options are left as a way for people to protest ?

The current governments recent " Report " in to racism was a report by numbers that simply does not address the issues in any way. You only have to see the Twitter feeds of BAME footballers if their team has lost to see this, almost every post from Dianne Abbott is followed by a tide of racist vitriol, eventually very bad things are going to happen.

Two things.

1. Agree with you 100% about racism, I’m worried about Chauvin getting off.

Also that online racism in the UK has exploded.

I don’t do Twatter or Facebook. Why do folk like us do it, when it only makes one unhappy, sad, reading the haters?

2. Sorry, I simply don’t agree with thugs in the UK attacking the police, bystanders, businesses, peoples livelihoods. If white, dreadlocked thugs, police haters because they’re criminals, use this as a springboard to attack our police, then they’re scum of the earth. (Two of the recent Bristol rioters, now on very serious charges, fit that description, it’s online. One travelled 100 miles to fire bomb the police).

The recent report imho got it wrong about institutional racism. But it’s just a report. This is not the end of the road. Stephen Lawrence’s brother (condemns the report btw), says that the UK has come a long way in tackling racism over 25 years, other blacks say just too. For example individual police detectives were corrupt mates of the 6 thugs families. Still much work to do.

Police and/or UK government haters hoping that the UK has riots if Chauvin is found innocent, need to give their heads a wobble.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If there is one deaf, dumb and blind juror who ignores all the evidence, they can still convict with a majority verdict, surely?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here