Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

George Boyd could be signing

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I really like him as a player, but simply not what we need IMHO...

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Since when did a player of George Boyd's calibre become "not good enough to play for Brighton?" Some fans are getting a bit ahead of themselves me thinks. He may not be exactly what everyone wants/what Gus said he is after, but it doesnt make him not good enough surely?

You have taken the words right out of my mouth fella. We are Brighton and Hove Albion, not Man City. Boyd is a good player and could be the link up man for CMS. I do however think that we still would need a tough tackling midfield general.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Id be delighted with a central 3 of Bridcutt, Vicente and Boyd with Lua Lua/Buckley/Noone as wide men

Keep the ball and we dont need another midfield destroyer.

Boyd is top quality.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
We can do better IMO. Would be underwhelmed if he ended up signing.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
IMHO Boyd is ok but his reputation seems to be largely from his League 1 days. I didn't see him have a decent game last season in the Championship, plus he was injured for a while. I looked out for him in a couple of their televised games and he was pretty anonymous. I didn't think Posh's midfield was as sharp with both Boyd and McCann looking below par. I think a lot of Posh fans feel the same way, having looked at their forum over the last few months.

I think Boyd would have to sharpen his act up to make any real difference to what we already have.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If he knocks Dicker , Sparrow and Harley down the pecking order then he would be a progressive signing.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Boyd was played out of position last season in a diamond formation. IF he helps CMS find his scoring boots im all for it........

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Good player undoubtedly, but too similar IMO to Vicente to warrant spending £1m ish which is what I've seen branded about fee wise whenever his name's mentioned. Vicente is our man for threading balls through and link up play, what we need is a big strong midfielder, that's what Poyet has said himself, Boyd's not that act.
As for bringing him in for CMS, they played together last time Craig played in CHampionship and the result was no different to last season with us.

Wouldn't suprise me if we were after him when it seemed we were losing Vicente at all.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Good player, but not what we need. Perhaps next season when Vicente leaves, but not now.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
In my opinion he's proven as a very good player at League One level but not above after a very underwhelming season.

Yes he had some time off injured and perhaps he wasn't utilised to his greatest strengths but he has everything still to prove and as such would represent a risk if we compromise our budget on the more dynamic and physical midfield recruit we require (+ possible striker).

If we DIDN'T compromise our other targets I'd happily see how he fares as he COULD step on but I have my doubts.

My primary concern is the criticism he's received from many Posh fans for his inconsistency, lack of work rate (a very 'un-Gus-friendly' trait) and alleged ineffectiveness so far in The Cham'ship...he could be Ryan Harley Mark Two!...technically good but frustratingly unfulfilling in potential.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Lost count of the number of times Boyd has been speculated about us on this board since ripping us to shreds during Micky Adams second reign at Withdean. I'd be very surprised if he were to sign and although a great player, not sure if he is what we need right now.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Great player (not a good one). Needs a new challenge. I can't think of any other financially viable player that I'd rather see wearing the stripes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Similar standard of player to Dicker, Noone and Harley - ie Brilliant at League One level, not so much at Champ. Would be as worthwhile as signing a 3rd LB right now.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The only type of midfielder we will buy is a central one who will 'mind' the defence allowing Vicente to go walkabout

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here