Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Fully agree. Took this photo of a kestrel the other day. Wing is horribly out of focus but it (just about) works as the eye is in focus.

attachment.php

I think at that distance its unlikely that its out of focus, the depth a field would be deeper than that.

Most likely the wing tip was moving too fast to be frozen, and nicely captures the feeling of movement.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I think at that distance its unlikely that its out of focus, the depth a field would be deeper than that.

Most likely the wing tip was moving too fast to be frozen, and nicely captures the feeling of movement.

You'd be suprised at how narrow the depth of focus can be when shooting at 400mm F5.6 from just a few feet away. I have pics with the eye in focus but the beak blurred. Shutter speed was 1/1600 which would have frozen the motion blur. (especially as it was gliding rather than hovering)

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
It's definitely worth doing. You could create a personal 'album' on there, and/or put some in a shared 'group'. There's one HERE just called "Brighton & Hove Albion FC" - it's not one I've created or anything, just one I found by searching - others may know a better one.

I remember your photos back during the construction - they were great and I agree it would be better to have a collection together rather than fragmented.
I've just joined the group. Is it possible to put my photos in an album on that page, or can they only be posted in the main batch?

I took a few photos of the Amex during its build. Although of no artistic merit as such, would a few hundred photos of our stadium documenting its progress from a muddy field to the completed structure be the sort of thing that would enhance Flickr, or is this site not for this type of thing. Although you could find them here on NSC, the collection is fragmented, so by putting them on Flickr, they would instead all be in one place.
The photos are just sitting in my computer, and I'm sure there's lots of people who would be interested in them, even if they followed my "Falmer Watch" at the time.
Any thoughts?

Definitely put them on there. There were some interesting recently discovered pics on the BBC website last week of Tower Bridge in the course of construction - they probably were considered of "no artistic merit" at the time!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Your probably right :thumbsup:. Thanks for the extra info on shutter speeds etc.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fully agree. Took this photo of a kestrel the other day. Wing is horribly out of focus but it (just about) works as the eye is in focus.

attachment.php
Nice - you need to up the exposure a lot, will be much better.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Shutterstock ID - Passport.

Does anyone upload images to Shutterstock? If so, did you scan and submit your passport? I fancy doing this, but am uncomfortable with sending them my passport.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Nice - you need to up the exposure a lot, will be much better.

I know. Bloody frustrating that kestrel was.
I had been photographing a little egret (which is all white) and had to turn the exposure down to stop blowing the highlights. Kestrel that had been staying too far away for photos then chose that moment to fly over my head - didn't have time to adjust settings so they were all wrong :(

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know. Bloody frustrating that kestrel was.
I had been photographing a little egret (which is all white) and had to turn the exposure down to stop blowing the highlights. Kestrel that had been staying too far away for photos then chose that moment to fly over my head - didn't have time to adjust settings so they were all wrong :(
You can increase the exposure with software though. Obviously it would be best if we could nail every shot, but life's not that easy, and if you haven't already done it, increasing the exposure now won't be a problem. If you're not sure what to do, email me the original and I'll do it for you.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
You can increase the exposure with software though. Obviously it would be best if we could nail every shot, but life's not that easy, and if you haven't already done it, increasing the exposure now won't be a problem. If you're not sure what to do, email me the original and I'll do it for you.

Thanks. I have already upped the exposure as much as I dare without adding too much noise. I know there is more I can do but it is not one of my better shots so I can't be bothered. Hopefully will take a better kestrel shot soon.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks. I have already upped the exposure as much as I dare without adding too much noise. I know there is more I can do but it is not one of my better shots so I can't be bothered. Hopefully will take a better kestrel shot soon.
Ok cool. I wasn't meaning to teach you to suck eggs, I thought you knew what you were doing, didn't realise the shot had already had the exposure increased.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here