Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Ah yes, thank you for pointing it out. I will watch the video and see if I can get rid of it.
Just don't physically blow on the sensor yourself - make sure you have a rocket air blower thingy. I damaged a sensor years ago by assuming that me puffing on it would do the same job....

Depending on the camera - some also have a self-cleaning function, which vibrates the sensor without you going anywhere near it. But it only dislodges large non-sticky dust.

If you go down the line of fully cleaning the sensor yourself with a kit - it's very scary the first time! But after that, it's easy to do.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Just don't physically blow on the sensor yourself - make sure you have a rocket air blower thingy. I damaged a sensor years ago by assuming that me puffing on it would do the same job....

Depending on the camera - some also have a self-cleaning function, which vibrates the sensor without you going anywhere near it. But it only dislodges large non-sticky dust.

If you go down the line of fully cleaning the sensor yourself with a kit - it's very scary the first time! But after that, it's easy to do.
I do have a kit that I have been a bit hesitant to use. I'll give it a go, if I mess it up I guess and can get a pro to do it somewhere.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I do have a kit that I have been a bit hesitant to use. I'll give it a go, if I mess it up I guess and can get a pro to do it somewhere.
Depends how badly you 'mess it up'. I'd watch the video and one specifically for your own camera first. And do it in good light.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You have a "Dust-bunny"!
View attachment 186478
You can get cleaning kits or little blowers, or get rid by editing, should you wish. (Hope I'm not teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs?!). Good photos by the way.

Depends how badly you 'mess it up'. I'd watch the video and one specifically for your own camera first. And do it in good light.

Thanks fellas, dust bunny is eradicated and camera is still operational :)

There does still seem to be a couple of much smaller ones still there. how clean can one actually get the sensor and does it matter? I guess i just monitor my pics for a while.

Last edited:

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
You need an arctic butterfly im afraid. It creates static electricity that sucks up the dust

You've still got to be careful though, you will need to keep the brush clean so as not to contaminate the sensor. Its easy once you get the hang of it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What I would call a nothing weather day ..and yet a bit of brightness..gloom..rain and lots of wind 🤔

IMG_8429.jpeg

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
So one of the things I’ve wanted to nail is insects in flight, as some of you know I purchased the OM-1 MarkII with the 90mm macro and have now added the 300mm F4 which is a dream of a lens and have been out today with it for the first time.

Happy with the results and I can see with a lot of practice and really understanding the potential of this combination that going forward could get some amazing images.

F7.1
Shutter Speed 1/3200
ISO 800
Continuous Auto Focus

Attachments

• IMG_6902.jpeg
    IMG_6902.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 41

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
So one of the things I’ve wanted to nail is insects in flight, as some of you know I purchased the OM-1 MarkII with the 90mm macro and have now added the 300mm F4 which is a dream of a lens and have been out today with it for the first time.

Happy with the results and I can see with a lot of practice and really understanding the potential of this combination that going forward could get some amazing images.

F7.1
Shutter Speed 1/3200
ISO 800
Continuous Auto Focus
Beautiful!

Do you have any tips for focus for a fast moving subject other than shoot loads of shots? I was trying to capture a bee the other day but my picture is not nearly as well focussed. The problem was it was moving so rapidly from flower to flower.
2024_0728_12510900.2 (1) (1).jpg

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Beautiful!

Do you have any tips for focus for a fast moving subject other than shoot loads of shots? I was trying to capture a bee the other day but my picture is not nearly as well focussed. The problem was it was moving so rapidly from flower to flower.
View attachment 186510
My 'bees in motion' pictures usually look something like this....

1722707289721.png

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

F7.1
Shutter Speed 1/3200
ISO 800
Continuous Auto Focus
I’m not keen on insects being nailed 🤔

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here