Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Interesting how the LibDems are nothing there now. In the 80’s always in a tussle with the Tories, I knew a LibDem councillor at my first employers.
When you say 'in a tussle'.... Bit like describing the Germany / Scotland game last night as 'close'!

1718476217836.png

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's got to be one of the most remarkable zero to hero to zero journeys there has been...

2015 - elected as an MP
2018 - given a junior ministerial position
2020 - promoted to Chancellor of the Exchequer
2022 - Prime Minister
2024 - as you suggest - walks off into the (Californian) sunset.

Obviously a talented young thing with some serious financial backing. I think he was lucky to find himself in prime position when Johnson had kicked out or alienated all the serious conservative politicians, just a shame that when it came to the crunch, like so many of Johnson's Brexit cabinet, he turned out to be utterly useless but, also in common with many of them, will still sail off into the sunset far more loaded than when he arrived. Purely consequential, I'm sure :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
That’s the first Cons sign I’ve seen. There are loads of Lib Dem boards around, even in Kingston and Seaford.
Boards and posters clearly aren’t what they used to be, unfortunately I think it’s perceived as almost making your property a target to others who don’t share your political beliefs.

A sad indictment of modern day democracy 😞

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
That’s the first Cons sign I’ve seen. There are loads of Lib Dem boards around, even in Kingston and Seaford.
Me too.

There are 3 of them at the same place (opposite the Ripe turning).

All have been graffitied. One says something about traitors and the other is a slightly bizarre, yet amusing 'Vote for Jam' and 'Pre' written over the first 3 letters of Conservatives :lol:

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Boards and posters clearly aren’t what they used to be, unfortunately I think it’s perceived as almost making your property a target to others who don’t share your political beliefs.

My teenage daughter thinks it brilliant that politicians over the years have had stuff thrown at them. As long as they’re not Green’s.

Democracy in action.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I beg to differ with your first sentence. It was very much a Remain v Brexit vote in both of those elections, and whilst Lewes as a district were 54% Remain, there were loads of working class who would never normally vote Tory were wanting Brexit.

I clearly remember a raft Tory haters here (with no Lewes or Hastings connection) openly planning their schadenfreude and celebrations at Caulfield and Rudd losing their seats on live TV. Spoken about for weeks ahead.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking

A reminder that many of us live in a bubble. I’m as a big a tofu eater as you could wish to find and one of the first things I’ve noted whilst up in the Lakes is my first Tory and Reform boards… and no others. The nation at large does not think like our corner of the country.

Working up here care of the ace folk at Sussex Sport Photography :)

Attachments

• JIH12858.jpeg
    JIH12858.jpeg
    481.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
A reminder that many of us live in a bubble. I’m as a big a tofu eater as you could wish to find and one of the first things I’ve noted while be being up in the Lakes is my first Tory and Reform boards… and no others. The nation at large does not think like our corner of the country.

Working up here care of the ace folk at Sussex Sport Photography :)
Maybe in the rural central lakes areas - but pop into the towns and you'll find few to none. South Lakes urban areas are dominated by 'Lib Dem Winning Here' boards. Barrow swops between Tory & Labour almost every election, and will almost certainly be Tory this year. And the Unitary Authorities formed last year out of Tory County and mixed Districts hardly had any Tory councillors at all. There was a bit of Gerrymandering going on with the boundary changes, which if everyone voted as in 2019 would have seen another Tory seat. But the latest predictions are for no blue in Cumbria at all. But, yes - still different from Sussex!

1718486619902.png
1718486661161.png

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Travelling from Wivelsfield to Haywards Heath earlier it seems that the ghost of Mims Davis is still haunting us with bloody great posters on farm gates 😝.
I arrived home and checked - it seems that Wivelsfield ( Inc part of Burgess Hill) has been dragged into the new Uckfield/ East Grinstead constituency...... Why?? .

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
You were not the only one to take a hit,
My wife being Irish wanted to return to her country of birth after spending her life here from age 4, worked and paid into our health service throughout her working life, after thinking about it for years we decided to take the plunge, after all what could go wrong ? we sold our home in Brighton and found what we planned as our forever home in county Wexford, then to my dismay discovered that Cameron whilst initiating his austerity measures had quietly taken away the reciprocated health service for those who wished to live in Ireland whereby up until 2012 anyone leaving these shores to reside in Ireland had the benefit of receiving health care free at the point of delivery just as if they lived here in the UK. This was one austerity measure not publicised but imposed which came as a shock to me, here I was heading for retirement with plenty of health problems which were no longer covered by the NHS so in effect would have to take out private health care after we both had paid into the system here all our lives. Then to top it all along came Brexit, would I still be able to receive my worked for state pension when it became due when I was no longer living in the state ? There were so many challenges being bandied around at the time and I found myself constantly worrying what would happen, how would we cope if either of us became ill and required hospital care, how would we survive etc, our dream became a nightmare and I suffered what I now know as a breakdown of sorts! we managed to sell our ‘forever’ home and scurried back to the UK very soon after the referendum vote when my worst tears had become reality.
The financial implications in reversing our decision to emigrate meant we were in the position to not be able to afford to buy in Brighton as property values had leapt ahead while we were away so had to settle for a much cheaper area than we had previously resided but the mental anguish I suffered due to our life plan being possibly crippled by Brexit, now reversed and being back home was worth taking the hit for.
That was an awful read, and you have my utmost sympathy for being placed in such a dreadful situation. I'm genuinely upset by your post, and every self-serving, foolish Brexit voter should also read it and weep.
I hope that life is currently being kind to you, by way of making amends.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Travelling from Wivelsfield to Haywards Heath earlier it seems that the ghost of Mims Davis is still haunting us with bloody great posters on farm gates 😝.
I arrived home and checked - it seems that Wivelsfield ( Inc part of Burgess Hill) has been dragged into the new Uckfield/ East Grinstead constituency...... Why?? .
We didn’t want them in Mid-Sussex.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
At a guess I think it is just the housing to the right of valebridge road as you approach the Rocky Lane viaduct which slips into East Sussex and Lewes DC that might be in the Mims Badlands. Meantime the latest polls show Mid Sussex heading firmly to a LD victory, what a turnaround.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is an astonishing list. Almost every Tory from moderate to right wing/ERG type leaving the Commons. Including JRM, Johnson, Hunt, IDS, Truss. Similarly the SNP decimated. Sussex becomes a sea of orange and red. LibDems quadruple their seats. Greens win Pavilion and Bristol Central.

Not hyperbolic to claim a once a century event, the last time, the powerful Liberal Party being decimated in 1924.

Only 2m Tories planning not to vote at all, can mitigate this.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/gainloss.html

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I haven’t seen many Tory signs in 40 years. Before that photo, I always assume due to vandalism.

It is interesting living in a marginal, Brighton Pavilion, the parties are falling over themselves for our vote. Canvassing and a pile leaflet drops.

Whilst voters in Chorley or Maldon might be ignored.
Whilst here in Hove very little seems to be going on, no leaflets nor have i seen gangs of canvassing teams, i guess most are accepting the Kyle will walk it so better off deploying volunteers to the Pavilion constituency

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is an astonishing list. Almost every Tory from moderate to right wing/ERG type leaving the Commons. Including JRM, Johnson, Hunt, IDS, Truss. Similarly the SNP decimated. Sussex becomes a sea of orange and red. LibDems quadruple their seats. Greens win Pavilion and Bristol Central.

Not hyperbolic to claim a once a century event, the last time, the powerful Liberal Party being decimated in 1924.

Only 2m Tories planning not to vote at all, can mitigate this.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/gainloss.html
Agreed. To think that they were ahead in the polls two or so years ago, which is quite something for a sitting government. But the public think it's 14 years where they've got poorer, and public services are on their knees.
The easy thing for me to say would be "that's what they do", but this isn't like 1997 or 1964. Things were in a pretty good situation in both those years, now the decline is palpable. Brexit wasn't the cause of this, it was the sign of it. Thankfully more are waking up to this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here