Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
My friend’s son is standing for Labour in Camborne and Redruth…

… my friend’s wife (not the candidate’s mother) has decided she’s supporting Reform.

Must be some interesting family discussions. 😲

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Interesting times ahead, hopefully tangibly different. Our offspring were never going to have a chance of owning a home under the status quo, for example. A large majority will hopefully give Labour the strength to dismiss mischief makers from within who really would like to ruin the term with their unelected demands on UK and overseas matters.

My two (late 20s) have both managed to buy (or currently buying). One has got a house with their partner in Swindon (where we are currently dog sitting) and the other a flat in central London. But those were both with very good salaries and significant help with the deposits from us. I really can't imagine any youngsters buying without help today, which was what myself and all my friends did :down:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There are some who really are beyond help. I wonder who they post as on NSC :wink:
To be fair, these people used to feel quite alone, but now they have lots of friends, also in poverty, thanks to Conservatives.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I thought just about everyone bar Mordaunt came across well. She had an opportunity to really spear Rayner with one question and absolutely blew it. Asking Rayner to deny that labour would raise Capital Gains Tax, which Mordaunt said would hit hard working families when they sold their houses. It was just lame.

Just catching up on this thread. Not sure that Mordaunt would have made a progress in that line of attack. Even if Labour do plan to incease CGT rates ( of which there is no evidence ), CGT is not paid on a primary residence and even the Tories haven't suggested Labour plan to expand CGT to primary residence. It would be suicide for any party to suggest it and crash the property market if done. Negative equity for all home owners.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My two (late 20s) have both managed to buy (or currently buying). One has got a house with their partner in Swindon (where we are currently dog sitting) and the other a flat in central London. But those were both with very good salaries and significant help with the deposits from us. I really can't imagine any youngsters buying without help today, which was what myself and all my friends did :down:

Yep. And until just now, it’s been a moving target accelerating away from wage growth.

IMG_2221.png

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
That was an awful read, and you have my utmost sympathy for being placed in such a dreadful situation. I'm genuinely upset by your post, and every self-serving, foolish Brexit voter should also read it and weep.
I hope that life is currently being kind to you, by way of making amends.
Thank you so much for the kind words and thought, I have to say that after coming to terms with our situation and a couple of setbacks we are now happily ensconced in Eastbourne, bought a tumbledown property and have spent the past seven/eight years completely renovating it which if I’m honest, being engrossed in diy has helped my mental health greatly. Best advice I have for anyone else who are or is going to go through depression etc is to never look back and push oneself to do things every day, as it’s so easy to lay down feeling sorry for yourself, that’s the way it gets you but fight it and don’t back down, just keep in mind that there are sunnier times around the corner. Thanks again.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I presume this is considerably related to Farage stealing votes from the Tories. If I were a Tory I'd be bloody livid.

And yet there are lifetime Tories on NSC claiming they will vote Reform. I....really don't think.....that will help you. And that's a gift from me as it certainly serves my preference, as it makes the whole lot of you, sensible and foolish, look like idiots.
It’s because Reform voters, as we suspected, are all a bit thick.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
driving across the shire today, some Lewes and Wealden constituencies, was struck by lack of any political signs. only noticed once i saw a Conservative one so looking out for them, counted one other and a couple for Liberals. places previously festoned with signs had nothing. realised none around the neighbourhood either. quite odd.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Maybe in the rural central lakes areas - but pop into the towns and you'll find few to none. South Lakes urban areas are dominated by 'Lib Dem Winning Here' boards. Barrow swops between Tory & Labour almost every election, and will almost certainly be Tory this year. And the Unitary Authorities formed last year out of Tory County and mixed Districts hardly had any Tory councillors at all. There was a bit of Gerrymandering going on with the boundary changes, which if everyone voted as in 2019 would have seen another Tory seat. But the latest predictions are for no blue in Cumbria at all. But, yes - still different from Sussex!

View attachment 184150 View attachment 184152
Incidentally, the boards were in Penrith. That’s a fairly decent sized town, which is why I was slightly surprised.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Incidentally, the boards were in Penrith. That’s a fairly decent sized town, which is why I was slightly surprised.
Interesting!

Penrith was previously in the 'Penrith & the Borders' constituency - which was indeed True Blue. Willie Whitelaw and Rory Stewart amongst them. The Conservative Association head offices are right in the middle of Penrith.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here