Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As will I, I just wish I didn’t have to vote Lib Dem to achieve it.
I always had a different take. As much as they went back on policy, I felt the Lib Dems curbed the Tory excesses during that parliament.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I always had a different take. As much as they went back on policy, I felt the Lib Dems curbed the Tory excesses during that parliament.
They broke my heart. I only went to study as a mature student based on their promise, my vote and their subsequent coalition with the Tories. No party has ever or likely will ever directly cost me so much money in my life. Disgusting charlatans.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Because Liz Truss specifically did things which caused economic harm. I don’t like Jeremy Hunt particularly but he did a great job stabilising things after she left.

It’s akin to Labour and the other Tories keeping a comatose patient on life support while Liz Truss bursts into the ward and starts smacking the patient with a rolling pin to try and wake them up.
it was more like goading the patient from the corridor, before being ushered out. merely leaving was enough to stabilising things.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They broke my heart. I only went to study as a mature student based on their promise, my vote and their subsequent coalition with the Tories. No party has ever or likely will ever directly cost me so much money in my life. Disgusting charlatans.
I won't argue with that point. Fair enough.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
sigh. disappointing someone argue Labour dealt with a world wide economic crash, then pretend we haven't just had world wide economic disaster. even if it was dealt with poorly. why do people believe "Liz Truss crashed the economy" when she lasted only 45 days, we had US banks folding last year, inflation rates 10% and GDP flatline or negative across Europe? very very gullible taken in by a meme.
Liz Truss was in place long enough to try to push through a budget that was the catalyst for events that very nearly resulted in a lot of people losing their pensions. As it is, she managed to wipe thousands off the value of my pension (a pension that for the last decade had done nothing but grow well beyond the total of my contributions was within weeks worth less than the total of my contributions, and while the situation has recovered somewhat since then the scars remain; my pension is worth less than it otherwise would be right now, and will take years to recover fully ... if it ever does).

More importantly, her decision while PM also did significant short term damage to the UK economy as a whole, which while it has recovered since she left is, as with pensions, still in a worse state than it otherwise would have been and will take longer to recover from the other pressures placed on it prior to her term (bungled Tory handling of both Brexit & Covid).

There is no plausible defense for Liz Truss. And the same applies to the current Tory party. They have run out of talent, totally clueless, chasing rabbits down dead ends only to find there was no rabbit in the first place ... just a rabbit shaped sock puppet on their own hands.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
sigh. disappointing someone argue Labour dealt with a world wide economic crash, then pretend we haven't just had world wide economic disaster. even if it was dealt with poorly. why do people believe "Liz Truss crashed the economy" when she lasted only 45 days, we had US banks folding last year, inflation rates 10% and GDP flatline or negative across Europe? very very gullible taken in by a meme.
Mad Lizzie crashed the ecomomy more than it would have crashed before Mad Lizzie entered the asylum.

My kids are still paying the price of higher mortgage rates than they would other wise have been - directly caused by Liz Truss

Do you ever watch any news, or just choose not to believe it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is possibly the funniest thing I've ever read on NSC and there's been some stiff competition over the years.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I would still be staggered to see it, but if the Tories aren't even in 2nd place then it will be a huge realignment of our politics. All those TV programmes which have (usually) 1x Labour and 1x Tory would have to go 1x Labour and 1x Lib Dem, the Tories would not longer be guaranteed spots on shows like Question Time under the BBC's rules for panel selection. The new Tory leader would have 2 questions at PMQs as opposed to 6 for Ed Davey. It would be a massive paradigm shift and I just don't think we appreciate how weird it would actually be.
It would also make it less attractive to lobbies to corrupt the tories

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Liz Truss was in place long enough to try to push through a budget that was the catalyst for events that very nearly resulted in a lot of people losing their pensions.
very nearly, right? the budget didn't even go to a vote let alone acted upon. the budget moved the bond market, some pensions got skittish the BoE stepped in. it never had to use the allocated budget, as the fear of major impact subsided in days. this is a long way from crashing the economy. reality was gas prices and commodities had already surged through 2022, inflation was going up before, interest rates followed up. it's not a defense of Truss, who was so bad she was found out and kicked out by her own party. it's about perpetuating myths because some have said the same mantra for so long people believe it's true. just like claims Labour crashed the world economy. though no one cares really, i suppose, it suits to continue.

Mad Lizzie crashed the ecomomy more than it would have crashed before Mad Lizzie entered the asylum.

My kids are still paying the price of higher mortgage rates than they would other wise have been - directly caused by Liz Truss

Do you ever watch any news, or just choose not to believe it.
mortgages are high because all the central banks have raised interest rate to beat inflation. news i follow tells me US are paying >7% mortgages, with base rate of 5.5%, not because of Truss actions a year before.

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
mortgages are high because all the central banks have raised interest rate to beat inflation. news i follow tells me US are paying >7% mortgages, with base rate of 5.5%, not because of Truss non-actions a year before.
There was a period of a couple of weeks or so when mortgage rates spiked following/around her budget, before falling to the general consensus. Some would have agreed new mortgage rates during this period, potentially @Nobby kids.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
very nearly, right? the budget didn't even go to a vote let alone acted upon. the budget moved the bond market, some pensions got skittish the BoE stepped in. it never had to use the allocated budget, as the fear of major impact subsided in days. this is a long way from crashing the economy. reality was gas prices and commodities had already surged through 2022, inflation was going up before, interest rates followed up. it's not a defense of Truss, who was so bad she was found out and kicked out by her own party. it's about perpetuating myths because some have said the same mantra for so long people believe it's true. just like claims Labour crashed the world economy. though no one cares really, i suppose, it suits to continue.

mortgages are high because all the central banks have raised interest rate to beat inflation. news i follow tells me US are paying >7% mortgages, with base rate of 5.5%, not because of Truss actions a year before.
Fact check. The budget that Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng announced is partly to blame for mortgage rates rising.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
There was a period of a couple of weeks or so when mortgage rates spiked following/around her budget, before falling to the general consensus. Some would have agreed new mortgage rates during this period, potentially @Nobby kids.
fair enough, directly screwed those renewing a mortgage in the weeks after. appreciate that would be a significant personal effect.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here