Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It will be interesting to see the next You Gov poll , a possibility of the Tories reduced to 20 or less seats after the GE
Believe it when I see it. I know it’s fun to speculate about record lows etc and hope it happens, but this always happens with unpopular governments and it’s never as bad as the worst polls or as good as the best. They’ll get a shoeing but they aren’t going to end up with 20-odd seats. Double it as a minimum

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A lot of the swivel eyed loons on the Tory right will be switching their vote to Reform giving Labour even more seats.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think Labour can win in Clacton now. I think they could attract up to a third of voters from the Tories, if Reform do the same, Labour win.
about as likely as Labour and Green split leading to a Conservative win in Brighton Pavillion.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Beginning of this month electoral calculus were predicting a 51% chance of Labour winning Clacton with their predicted share being

Labour 40.2 %
Tory 39.7 %
Reform 13.2 %

I think Farage standing eliminates the possibility of a Tory win in that seat

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As much as I don't admire his politics, I admire his strategy

He said that a Labour government would be slightly worse than the Tories- in other words not a lot changes (don't vote Tory). He doesn't want to put people off Labour for now. That comes later.

He said Labour has already won the election ( a vote switch will make little difference)

He parachutes into Clacton (huge BREXIT area, massive Tory majority, 'right wing' Labour voters)

He wants Labour to wipe out the Tories in the election and sets up Reform as an opposition outwith parliament on the back of a waiting vote. In the meantime they cruise in the yearly council elections.

That's his theory anyway. First indications on July 5th.
His strategy was to go to help Trump get re-elected, but that went pear shaped with his 34 convictions. Now, his paymasters have decided Reform needs a leader.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Speaking as a “neutral”, as in I’m a neutral centrist with no love for any of the parties…

Campaign faux pas have and will always be a thing - Ed Miliband couldn’t eat a sandwich for instance, which was very funny albeit promoted from the right wing media. Then Corbyn’s nonsense…

But I can’t remember a worse election campaign ever than the Tories effort so far, it’s been absolutely horrific.

They have money to send me an expensive glossy newsletter in the post, but can’t prevent these catastrophic photo ops with Sunak looking like an idiot again and again and again…

It’s just The Thick of It but funnier. Absolutely atrocious.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Best thing was he went on the Sophy Ridge show later and got proper pissy about it and threatening to go to Ofcom, when any sensible politician would have had a laugh and turned it into a joke in the few hours since it happened

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
IMG_3383.jpeg

Even the BBC are overtly taking the piss with their sub-headline

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
How do you just announce that you're the leader of a political party? I know that the rules for the vanity projects of blowhard attention seekers may be different, but I would have presumed that to become a leader of a proper political party you would need to face some kind of election of the members, rather than just getting your friend to let you do it.

Can any of us announce that we're now leader of Reform? If so, I now baggsy Farage's job and my first decision as leader is for us to close the party political wing, change our name to 'The Village Green Preservation Society' and adopt a new single issue to replace Brexit: Bring back 'It Ain't 'Alf Hot Mum'.

All together:

"Preserving the old ways from being abused
Protecting the new ways for me and for you
What more can we do?"
Reform has only got one "member". Lol.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Interesting first TV debate last night in Scotland. By all accounts it was a good night for John Swinney, no wonder there was a huge roar of 'there's only one Johnny Swinney' in SNP HQ following the debate. I still think Labour will find it extremely tough north of the border.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Interesting first TV debate last night in Scotland. By all accounts it was a good night for John Swinney, no wonder there was a huge roar of 'there's only one Johnny Swinney' in SNP HQ following the debate. I still think Labour will find it extremely tough north of the border.
He did a great job backing the fossil fuel industry. Where were the Greens from this debate?

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Best thing was he went on the Sophy Ridge show later and got proper pissy about it and threatening to go to Ofcom, when any sensible politician would have had a laugh and turned it into a joke in the few hours since it happened
From what I could see, there was no fault with the reporter/presenter - Shapps called the reporter, who quite correctly and fairly immediately said that he was on-air, so there was no subterfuge or attempted trickery.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
From what I could see, there was no fault with the reporter/presenter - Shapps called the reporter, who quite correctly and fairly immediately said that he was on-air, so there was no subterfuge or attempted trickery.
Schappsy always nails it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here