Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Done, very quick and straightforward with the ID.

Not sure it well help much though as the tactical voting sites all withdrew from my constituency as traditionally it's VERY Conservative around here and there was nothing between Labour and Lib Dems so I fear we will probably be one of the rare Blue victories.

Took my two young boys along so they could experience it and try to get a bit of buy in to politics from a young age and job done. They were full of interesting questions on the way home.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Looking really good for Labour we should be able to vote everything through with this huge majority, I just hope we don't over spend with all the excitement.
Could Reform really get 89 seats ? I was told they have had a massive turnout in the midlands. Can people really be buying in to jungle Nigel? If all goes their way they could end up the second biggest party... How are they doing this?

They have apparently been highly visible on Tik-Tok, which means they’ve been invisible to everyone under the age of 30, making massive inroads into what we would describe as the yoof, but actually including a lot of frustrated young adults who all work incredibly hard for very little money, have a vote, and are still living with their parents because we (as a society) have failed them.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Just saw someone accuse an elderly, very sweet little old lady Tory teller of attempting to vote tamper by talking to them per usual - AFTER they voted

Edit: everyone knows volunteer elderly tellers in Seaford are attempting to rig the election. Never mind Russian bots, AI, deepfakes and Chinese influence. The real SCOURGE of democracy is Gladys, 82 from Walpole Lane.

:facepalm:

Some people are just nutters aren’t they!!!

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I won't count chickens yet. Still feel that it's gonna be a lot closer than the polls suggest.
chickens.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You can't blame a winner for winning. As someone who has seen the labour campaign closely it's interesting how it's about not piling up votes where they aren't of value. It's about using votes efficiently ( a bit how lib dems are doing). It's how the Tories have operated previously too. Their resources have been focussed that way. If the rules were different then the campaign approach would be too.

Were you so chilled about FPTP in 2010, 2015, 2017 and 2019?

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Regardless of anyone’s specific political leanings on here, a ‘super’ majority with a small potentially ineffective opposition is surely damaging to the UK’s democracy?

Whilst it’s clearly time for a change, and the Tories have brought a lot of this on themselves, will five years of Starmer ‘Carte Blanche’ really make the UK a better place?

My own observations on this are that most regimes get their strongest ideas underway in their first term, the effects of those changes are only tangible toward the second half of the first term, and if they’re good lead directly to a second term. There are “black swan” events (Brexit, Covid) that can break this general rule though.

It is the ideas that start to rear their head during a regime’s second term, where the government has spent more time in its own bubble and stopped listening to external sources where the danger tends to lie, and I personally advise against voting for any party’s third term.

My personal preference would be for future elections to be contested mainly between the Lib Dems and Labour, because both pass my personal “fit and proper persons” test.

Reform/modern Conservatism is pure and ugly populism, and is what we can expect next if Labour choose to ignore the working class over their fund-rich lobbying pals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here