Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gazza's Tears on ITV

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
OK I know it was touched on in another thread ( Italia 90 Film - North Stand Chat )

but if the sex education prog gets a thread of its own then this certainly deserves one. If anyone missed it I would stongly advise you to watch it on the ITV player thing.

Not gonna lie to you - I've just shed many a tear at the end of this! The tears were there when showing Gazza crying at the end clapping the fans but when they showed the Sir Bobby clip at the re-union match last year the tears started rolling :smile: . Let alone when they showed the bit where they told Gazza that Sir Bobby had asked 'How did Gazza play?' on his way home from that re-union match when he was severely ill...

Got to say how refreshing it was to hear Butcher's team talk of pointing to the 3lions and telling them that's what they're playing for was. And how the England team stuck two fingers up at the media by doing so well...

I honestly am saddened by how society has changed from back then. There isn't as much patriotism which is very sad (there are still a few of us). I also think this is one of the problems with the current England team and they may (or may not) learn something from that programme. Let alone how the fans / football in general has changed since then...

I just hope one day we get even some of that pride back i really do...

Excellent programme :clap:

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
Just finished watching it on ITV4.

Top watch.

Wish I'd been alive long enough to remember it all for myself. Apparantly I was, although not even 1, sat in front of the tele :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I was 4 but Euro 96 is my first proper championship memory. And i do remember the San Marino qualifying game for USA 94... God i wish things were like they were then (1990 WC...)

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
Same. Euro '96 I can remember pretty much all of - especially that Gazza goal against Scotland :love:

2 good tournaments for us in the 90's (and 98 wasn't exactly horrific). We need that passion back. Maybe the players should watch this program!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Great program, and makes you realise just how much things have changed. The team seem so far removed now, the interviews are so staged and rehearsed like watching a load of politicians talking about football now! (even the ones straight after the game). Even though the players were boycotting the press they were much more open and real than now.

made me very sad after watching this world cup. I don't think things will change until the Premier League bubble bursts and football come home.

lucky007

Apr 12, 2010
West Sussex
Saw this on ITV last night, sad to see how Bobby Robson was at the end but shows you what is missing from the England team of today.
:amex:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Great program,looked a brilliant team spirit and we really did have some good players.Such a shame we didnt quite go all the way.

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
i thought the top of the pops thing was so funny, plus the players just seemed like a bunch of lads on holiday and that relaxed atmosphere transfer to the pitch and the team sprit of the lads was amazing. they clearly loved Sir Bobby

its funny how many nights can you think of when win or lose you were proud of the England team? I was 6 in 1990 my first world cup and remember it all.. i was so proud of the lads that night. (though heartbroken)

the only other night i was proud of the england team was the 0-0 against Italy to make it to world cup 98.I was so impressed with the team effort that night and still remember Del Peiro's header missing by inchs in the last minute

since then the players seem on another planet, saying the same bland things in interviews, no passion on the pitch and almost like they dont want to be there...

has the English game just become about money?? its so sad

and i will admit seeing Sir Bobby now always brings a tear to my eye. legend, autobio is a great read if you havent had chance to.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Italia '90 was meant to be a watershed moment for english football.

Our coaches were going to encourage ouy players/youths to retain possession and be creative like Gazza.

20 years later and we have gone rapidly backwards.

Gazza was the greatest English player I have seen. He was the star player at two tournaments (1990 & 1996)

No Englishman has even come close since.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
absoluety loved this, the best squad we have ever had at a world cup, even shed a tear at the end for Sir Bob, always wondered what happened to the ball, and its good to see it ended up in english hands, Value = Priceless

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It was a great squad we had but we were a bit light up front. There were some very good strikers at the time that missed out - Ian Wright, Tony Cottee and Alan Smith.

Italia '90 will always be my favourite World Cup though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The bit where they told Gazza what Bobby had said after the game in his honour:

"Did Gascoigne play well?"

Emotional to say the least

That bit really got me...

Agree with all the comments on here. The top of the pops clip was brilliant - Gazza saying 'That's got nothnig to do with the record' cracked me up.

As for the 0-0 draw with Italy in Rome - I'm sure Wrighty played that night (hit the post too) and if there's one thing I'd say about Ian Wright, it's that he loved the shirt and knows what it means to represent the country...

I think maybe I am starting to see how wrong things actually are these days and how things like the prem lg have affected football in a massively negative way :(

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
As for the 0-0 draw with Italy in Rome - I'm sure Wrighty played that night (hit the post too) and if there's one thing I'd say about Ian Wright, it's that he loved the shirt and knows what it means to represent the country...

That stupid bitch eileen drewery used her magic powers to make Wrighty miss :angry:

I missed that game live, I went to Chester away on the train :lolol:

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Watched it last night. Thought it was brilliant - especially the ending. When Gazza choked at the end, there were definitely a few tears in our household.

I actually preferred this to One Night in Turin.

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
That bit really got me...

Agree with all the comments on here. The top of the pops clip was brilliant - Gazza saying 'That's got nothnig to do with the record' cracked me up.

I think maybe I am starting to see how wrong things actually are these days and how things like the prem lg have affected football in a massively negative way :(

its a real shame isn't it!

Wright did hit the post when he rounded the keeper and from a tight angle...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here