Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gazza's Tears on ITV

Excellent program, the bit at the end with Sir Bobby was very moving. Such a shame to see Gascoigne the way he is as well. Sadly it'll be a miracle if he makes 50. Unfortunately, as brilliant as he was at Italia 90, it was almost the beginning of the end as well - crocking himself in the 91 cup final, the disastrous move to Lazio. What he needed was an Alex Ferguson to keep him on the straight and narrow.

A little-known quote from Bobby Robson after the 1990 World Cup: "I'm not saying we would have beaten Argentina [in the final], but my house would have been on it."

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Italia '90 was meant to be a watershed moment for english football.

Our coaches were going to encourage ouy players/youths to retain possession and be creative like Gazza.

20 years later and we have gone rapidly backwards.

Gazza was the greatest English player I have seen. He was the star player at two tournaments (1990 & 1996)

No Englishman has even come close since.

Amen to that, no English player (Beckham don't make me laugh) has any where near as come close to Gazza on the pitch in terms of skill and quality in my lifetime. He is the best English player I have ever seen and was probably the player of Italia 90 (only Mattheus could argue with that).

I watched this programme and it brought back so many memories, the thing I always remember is Waddle's shot in extra time (which was shown) we were probably 1 inch from going 2-1 up in extra time, the way the ball virtually came back off the post in the direction he shot it showed how close we were to probably winning that semi.

the thing I always remember is Waddle's shot in extra time (which was shown) we were probably 1 inch from going 2-1 up in extra time, the way the ball virtually came back off the post in the direction he shot it showed how close we were to probably winning that semi.

Hadn't the whistle already gone though, so it wouldn't have counted? That's how I remember it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There were also 2 England players waiting to tap it in and it fell to neither of them! So unlucky... Not sure about the whistle Steve bud.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Hadn't the whistle already gone though, so it wouldn't have counted? That's how I remember it.

No that was the first Waddle shot in normal time, he must have had a 35 yard shot that the keeper just tipped onto the bar and over and that wouldn't have counted (as the whistle had already gone).

Waddle's hit the post shot I think was in the first half of extra time and it would have counted, Platt was also very close to turning in the rebound (the Germans also hit the post in the 2nd half of extra time, which was also shown but it wasn't as nearly as close as Waddle's to going in).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Gazza's tears, along with Diana's death, turned this country into a nation of mummy's boys and bedwetters.

The 'great' team that we are referring to in 1990 won ONE game out of six in 90 minutes, and that was a 1-0 against the might of Egypt.

There has been some amazing revisionism of just how good the team were.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Gazza's tears, along with Diana's death, turned this country into a nation of mummy's boys and bedwetters.

The 'great' team that we are referring to in 1990 won ONE game out of six in 90 minutes, and that was a 1-0 against the might of Egypt.

Shall we talk about 1966 or will you pick a holes in that as well?

What did you think of the programme?

Last edited:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Got to say how refreshing it was to hear Butcher's team talk of pointing to the 3lions and telling them that's what they're playing for was. And how the England team stuck two fingers up at the media by doing so well...

Terry Butcher used to sing The Sash and Derry's Walls before England games according to Gary Lineker.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot

At least the 1990 team adapted different formations and tactics as the tournament progressed, to some success. Unlike their 2010 counterparts who stuck to a rigid 4-4-2 despite it clearly not working.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
At least the 1990 team adapted different formations and tactics as the tournament progressed, to some success. Unlike their 2010 counterparts who stuck to a rigid 4-4-2 despite it clearly not working.

I agree, and it did make football more popular than before, because of the nature of THAT goal from Platt in the 119th minute, coming from behind to beat a superior Cameroon and Gazza's tears.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008

Yep they completely changed their system and actually went from 4-4-2 to a sweeper system (primarily to accomodate Terry Butchers lack of speed) they also had to adapt through injury very early on, everyone thought John Barnes was going to be our star and he was injured and/or shite, also injured early on (first game I think) was Bryan Robson (shock horror) in came Trevor Steven and a player which this tournament also made, David Platt. Another fantastic player in this tournament for us was Des Walker.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I agree, and it did make football more popular than before, because of the nature of THAT goal from Platt in the 119th minute, coming from behind to beat a superior Cameroon and Gazza's tears.
Indeed. Also it started off on the right foot with non-football fans by having THE best football song (World in Motion) and also a bit of opera that appealed to 'normal' people (Nessun Dorma).

I take your earlier point about the team only winning one game in normal time, but there was also a very good draw against Holland (the Euro champs at the time), and the victory over Cameroon is often overlooked because England of course 'should be beating teams like Cameroon'.

I've always stuck up for the 1990 side because I HATED the hype in 2006 about how that side was the 'best team since 1970'. No. It. Wasn't. The 1990 team would have thrashed the under-achieving 2006 and 2010 collections of individuals quite comfortably. Can't be proved obviously but I like to think it could as it was a much better balanced TEAM as opposed to being some quite-good individuals losely playing together. And it had a LOT more flair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here