Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay Footballers...Appreciated or Unwelcome?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They're not *that* unfriendly at all. It's just that most people find this a bit pointless, and I have to say I agree with them.

Appreciated or unwelcome? Colour me totally indifferent to a player's sexuality.

Well then you have in part answered an important question on the subject haven`t you ? In that a footballers sexuality matters not one jot to you - and quite rightly so - and so you`re probably not going to contribute to any terrace chants denigrating any gay players.

I reckon that fans of Brighton might just have a more liberal view on the matter than fans of some other clubs anyway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
where's the option, "dont care as long they are good"?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well then you have in part answered an important question on the subject haven`t you ? In that a footballers sexuality matters not one jot to you - and quite rightly so - and so you`re probably not going to contribute to any terrace chants denigrating any gay players.

I reckon that fans of Brighton might just have a more liberal view on the matter than fans of some other clubs anyway.
*shrugs*. You're probably right but I'd be amazed if this survey provides anything we don't already know.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've completed it.

To those asking what use it is, suppose this shows that the majority of fans would be supportiove of footballers coming out, this leads to a player coming out, leads to more coming out and it helps kick homophgobia out of football.

Or as others have mentioned, it simply helps stop someone killing themselves over fear of being outed.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
:wozza: Fashanu didn't kill himself because he was scared of being outed. He was well and truly out, having sold his story to The Sun 7 years before he committed suicide.

Really, does anyone give a shit in this day and age whether a footballer is straight, gay or Ashley Cole?

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I think professional sport is one of the few places left where homophobia persists (in fact, I'm pushed to think of many other places - the armed forces maybe). Gays can come out in politics, business, the arts and the media but not sport.

I think you may be living a sheltered existence. I worked for a company based in central Brighton. We had numurous gay and lesbian people working for us ranging from Louie Spence flamboyance to David Laws levels of privacy.
Yet still we had a head of HR and directors who would be openly homophobic in meetings and at company functions.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
They're not *that* unfriendly at all. It's just that most people find this a bit pointless, and I have to say I agree with them.

Appreciated or unwelcome? Colour me totally indifferent to a player's sexuality.

That may be an attitude prevalent among, say, Brighton fans. It may be the case among a fair whack of fans across the country, but that doesn't follow that all fans welcome homosexuality within football. Or society. And I can think of one or two on here who are insecure enough about their own sexuality to harp on about 'gays' and 'benders' etc.

I think the research would have merit because these figures can possibly be used by football bodies to help shape policy on any 'Stop homophobia' campaigns, much in the same way as 'Give Racism the Red Card' sort of thing.

Of course, it may be that the figures end up saying that there is no problem at all, in which case, it has been worthwhile to point this out.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Its nothing to do with whether some fans 'dont care' if a player is gay or not but about the fact that they do not 'come out' for fear of abuse from other supporters and an obvious lack of support from within the game. Max Clifford has said dont stick your head above the parapit wall and thats probably the best advice at the moment if he is generally trying to help an individual but Gordon Taylors stance - seeing he is actually involved with these players - was just typical from within the game.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think you may be living a sheltered existence. I worked for a company based in central Brighton. We had numurous gay and lesbian people working for us ranging from Louie Spence flamboyance to David Laws levels of privacy.
Yet still we had a head of HR and directors who would be openly homophobic in meetings and at company functions.

I didn't say that homophobia didn't exist any more, I said that prominent politicians, business people and artists could now come out as gay. That's not to say that every gay person has, because, as you say, there are still pockets of homophobia.

The point is that no footballer has come out as gay (while playing) and that's something that should be addressed. It's crazy in 2010.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I didn't say that homophobia didn't exist any more, I said that prominent politicians, business people and artists could now come out as gay. That's not to say that every gay person has, because, as you say, there are still pockets of homophobia.

The point is that no footballer has come out as gay (while playing) and that's something that should be addressed. It's crazy in 2010.

I agree with your last point it is crazy, but part of the problem is the homophobic attitudes still widespread in our society.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here