Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gary Neville rant

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It just won’t happen will it... They’d have to break away - Bayern have thankfully already said no - I just can’t see it. Stunned these 6 clubs have tried it though - goes against everything this game has always stood for and the history and tradition. Disgrace.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
He was right about them 'bottling it' and them re-writing the statement as he speaks.

Touted as a 9pm statement release. Two hours later, and nothing.

Edit:. Statement out now. El Pres interrupted on radio 5 for it.

Last edited:

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Good to see that Alex Ferguson has come out against it. Not even consulted about it. I can see real issues for the owners of these 6 English clubs as their fans turn against them, and possibly players as well, what with FIFA suggesting that players would be excluded from playing for their national teams.
What a complete PR clusterf*ck. even Boris has come out against it. They surely can’t have expected this reaction and I’m sure it has stopped their follow up announcement tonight.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Ferdinand was also very eloquent on it post FA Cup. Easy to see the players as part of the problem but great to see their passion on this.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
slightly confused here - isnt this to replace the champions league? or they are threatening to leave their domestic leagues?

The proposal is to create a 'Super League' to replace the domestic leagues for those teams involved.

In other words, Man Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool would no longer be in the Premier League and we would not play them at any point unless they are still planning to be in the domestic cups (I have no idea).

Imagine the fans travelling all over Europe week in week out to Barca RM, Athletico, PSG, Juve. Milan etc.. It would get very expensive and the number of fans would dwindle. Again its not about the fans but the money exactly per Neville's rant.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
The proposal is to create a 'Super League' to replace the domestic leagues for those teams involved.

In other words, Man Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool would no longer be in the Premier League and we would not play them at any point unless they are still planning to be in the domestic cups (I have no idea).

Imagine the fans travelling all over Europe week in week out to Barca RM, Athletico, PSG, Juve. Milan etc.. It would get very expensive and the number of fans would dwindle. Again its not about the fans but the money exactly per Neville's rant.

PSG haven’t agreed to join it.
However, completely agree. The fans just wouldn’t want it. Fans of the big English clubs love the big European nights because they are stand out games. Saying that all their away games would involve travel abroad would be one of many things that would turn them against it. No involvement in the main English league, I just can’t see fans wanting it.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
Whole things just a heist - all of these club owners have either lost Substantial amounts of money on their investment to buy the league (Chelsea/ City) or are forced to work to a more limited player budget because of stadium debts (arsenal / Tottenham) or are listed companies controlled by American private equity groups (Liverpool / Utd). Barcelona are potless and the two Milan’s are both controlled by Chinese & American investment groups -

One off large cash bump from TV rights, cash in the future receivables as well , saddle the clubs full of more debt and all funded by us

I think I’ve given up on watching football if this really is being considered

AlbionInUs

Oct 11, 2019
US

Competition Format
- 20 participating clubs with 15 Founding Clubs and a qualifying mechanism for a further five teams to qualify annually based on achievements in the prior season.
- Midweek fixtures with all participating clubs continuing to compete in their respective national leagues, preserving the traditional domestic match calendar which remains at the heart of the club game.
- An August start with clubs participating in two groups of ten, playing home and away fixtures, with the top three in each group automatically qualifying for the quarter finals. Teams finishing fourth and fifth will then compete in a two-legged play-off for the remaining quarter-final positions. A two-leg knockout format will be used to reach the final at the end of May, which will be staged as a single fixture at a neutral venue.

https://www.thesuperleague.com/press.html

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Top rant Gary, these people are in football for the wrong reason

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
PSG haven’t agreed to join it.
However, completely agree. The fans just wouldn’t want it. Fans of the big English clubs love the big European nights because they are stand out games. Saying that all their away games would involve travel abroad would be one of many things that would turn them against it. No involvement in the main English league, I just can’t see fans wanting it.

We have to remember the vast majority of each clubs fan are armchair fans, yes i understand they have 50k ish fans each week in normal games in normal times so they we alienate those, but the vast majority that sit at home watching every game won't care. the only difference to them is they will only see them play the top teams every week and never get relegated.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Stinks of the Kerry Packer breakaway.

20 yrs time it'll be 9 a side , 20 minute quarters , no keeper , holograms of goalscorer projected into the sky above the stadium .........the game has been taken away from it's roots , same as everything else it's all about making obscenely rich ******** even more so.:annoyed:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
slightly confused here - isnt this to replace the champions league? or they are threatening to leave their domestic leagues?

No. They want the best of both worlds. Nothing but a money grab.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here