Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gary Neville rant

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
my biggest and only concern with this is that the only real solution that makes logical sense is that the CL will be reformed to suit the 'Big 6' which will no doubt mean a restructuring of funds.

So in effect they will get a load of dosh to appease them.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
my biggest and only concern with this is that the only real solution that makes logical sense is that the CL will be reformed to suit the 'Big 6' which will no doubt mean a restructuring of funds.

So in effect they will get a load of dosh to appease them.

This is what I cannot work out. Maybe @ElPresidente can help. But if this really is just to get a bigger slice of the pie / TV money from UEFA, then why are Arsenal or Spurs involved? Surely a risky strategy if based on recent performances don't regularly appear in the CL any way

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
This is what I cannot work out. Maybe @ElPresidente can help. But if this really is just to get a bigger slice of the pie / TV money from UEFA, then why are Arsenal or Spurs involved? Surely a risky strategy if based on recent performances don't regularly appear in the CL any way

guessing its because they fully expect to be back in the top 4 in the furture.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Nahh

The only reason they are doing this with Man U etc instead of starting franchises from scratch is because those clubs already have massive brands around the world.

The Tokyo team never will have. What country they play in is now irrelevant, just the brand of the club.

If what you were suggesting is true the the FIFA world club cup thing would be the biggest competition in the world

Wooosh!

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Seems extremely brave / risky.

my theory is that this is a lot of posturing and Arsenal and Spurs are being used as pawns to get the CL changed to provide greater cheques. So, if they (arsenal) are successful they will still be in the PL and hope that they qualify for the CL next season and therefore be in receipt of far greater amounts of dosh. Pretty good bluff if it pays off.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes it does. Do you watch countdown or just had a look in a dictionary?
Just normal everyday vocabulary for an erudite guy like me - no need of a dictionary for something so basic. Oh, and yes, I do watch Countdown - I particularly like the numbers.

By the way, I've added a question mark to your post where you ought to have put one. :thumbsup:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Apols if posted previously but he's carrying on where he left off yesterday although slightly less angry, lots of good points made with other contributions from different people including Klopp and some bloke called Simon Jordan with an annoying ring tone ...

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Gary Neville: Will Super League be approved? Not a chance...
"The proposal will get kicked out because the fans will hate it, the governments will hate it, FIFA will hate, UEFA will hate it, the Premier League have come out already and say they hate it, you'll hate it, I'll hate it. And they are so disconnected from reality to think they could put this forward at any time, let alone now. Honesty, I'd say I've got no words for them but I've had a lot of words."

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
It's irritating to see folk doing him down here.

He has a lot of integrity and is representing 90% of our views here.

i do agree with him, but he is a bit hypocritical when speaking out against anti-competition when he and others are pumping millions into Salford FC getting them promoted several times in a few short years. They are doing in the lower leagues what City are doing in the Premier League.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
i do agree with him, but he is a bit hypocritical when speaking out against anti-competition when he and others are pumping millions into Salford FC getting them promoted several times in a few short years. They are doing in the lower leagues what City are doing in the Premier League.

The English do hypocrisy very well. I'm English, and also a hypocrite.

My team had a wealthy local man who pumped millions of pounds into the club, built a new stadium, made signings, and was happy to take the hit on his own finances to get the team to the Premier League. Most others were powerless to do anything about it.

And I love him for it.

I support Brighton & Hove Albion.

Last edited:

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019

My club had a wealthy local man who pumped millions of pounds into the club, built a new stadium and was happy to take the hit on their own finances to get the team to the Premier League. Most teams were powerless to do anything about it.

And I love him for it.

Yes the English are hypocritical and fickle too.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

My team had a wealthy local man who pumped millions of pounds into the club, built a new stadium, made signings, and was happy to take the hit on his own finances to get the team to the Premier League. Most others were powerless to do anything about it.

And I love him for it.

Not really the same though is it?

That’s not uncompetitive, we found someone to invest in the club and he found us... fortunately for us all an Albion fan. Every other club has that possibility of finding an individual or a group to back them.

It’s not a closed shop, which is what the Super League is. That’s uncompetitive.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not really the same though is it?

That’s not uncompetitive, we found someone to invest in the club and he found us... fortunately for us all an Albion fan. Every other club has that possibility of finding an individual or a group to back them.

It’s not a closed shop, which is what the Super League is. That’s uncompetitive.

You're missing the reference.

The exchange was over accusations of hypocrisy because Gary Neville was guiding Salford City who have climbed the leagues on the back of investment and financing. Which is what Albion have done.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Name a team which hasn’t climbed the pyramid in recent years through some sort of financial injection. It’s almost impossible to do it entirely on merit these days. Even Leicester City’s title win was backed by the big financial injection from the owners and the bumper PL money pot. Most of the teams who go into the PL do it either on the back of a rich owner or parachute payments. Salford are no different, just their ownership is more famous and wealthy for the level of club they currently are compared to their current peers.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
There are many, many neutrals who see us as moneyed. They don't understand where we've come from or Bloom's historic links to the club, but they do have a point.
But us or Salford or almost everybody else is nothing like this.
We still had to beat teams, had to get promoted, had to get over the Palace loses etc. We had to earn it.
This is a farce.

Last edited:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
You're missing the reference.

The exchange was over accusations of hypocrisy because Gary Neville was guiding Salford City who have climbed the leagues on the back of investment and financing. Which is what Albion have done.

Oh Ok I see what you’re referencing now.

I don’t think that makes Gary Neville a hypocrite though. Unless I’ve missed it he has no issue with Man U or City spending money or being heavily invested in (I agree, that would make him a hypocrite).

He’s more against the anti competitive and underhanded arrogance of the greedy 6 wanting to close up shop in their private club and jeopardise our league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here