Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gary Neville rant

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yes,and I think this is the fear of the likes of man u Liverpool and arsenal is that one day they may well fall out of being part of "the elite club's" so the best way of ensuring you stay 'elite" is create your own"elite" league where no one else is allowed in.

Yes that is totally true. Agnelli the Chairman of Juventus is one of the big advocates of a Super League and they lost again today meaning their top 4 and Champions League place is under serious threat.

They’re all paranoid about missing out and getting overtaken by ‘new money’ clubs like City and PSG. All about self interest.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

May I offer you some advice?

Don't engage with people I have on ignore.

I can PM my list if it may help you save time :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes,and I think this is the fear of the likes of man u Liverpool and arsenal is that one day they may well fall out of being part of "the elite club's" so the best way of ensuring you stay 'elite" is create your own"elite" league where no one else is allowed in.

Did someone say Russell Group University?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Whataboutery makes me want to glass myself but we needed this kind of ranting from Neville (or any high-profile figures in the game) when there was talk about an ESL in the late 90s, or when the Glazers took over, or when Bury went under. It all has a contributory effect that leads to days like today. The game has long needed the proper regulation he's now so animated about and it shouldn't take an outlandish display of greed involving the top clubs to hasten that.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
He was spot on. These owners are not football supporters but business men. It will be boring with no relegation and very few away fans .Eventually games between two clubs will be played in China or Saudi for the global supporters.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Whataboutery makes me want to glass myself but we needed this kind of ranting from Neville (or any high-profile figures in the game) when there was talk about an ESL in the late 90s, or when the Glazers took over, or when Bury went under. It all has a contributory effect that leads to days like today. The game has long needed the proper regulation he's now so animated about and it shouldn't take an outlandish display of greed involving the top clubs to hasten that.

But it has. We are where we are

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Hats off Gary, absolutely brilliant!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. Neville is spot on.
2. Taking points off the Top 6 have been some of the best moments of the last 4 years and I don't want them to leave.
3. This Super League will decimate the integrity of all of Europe's main leagues.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
As irritating as he is, Gary Neville sees football from the tradition of a lifelong United fan, not the self serving revenue orientated owners of these institutions.

Disgraceful proposals that will surely never happen

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
With no relegation....for starters the product sounds crap.

Good on the owners of Bayern ..Dortmund and PSG for not getting involved

The Germans effectively can't be involved. By law 49% of ownership is fan based. Getting the other 51% to vote for Christmas is not something German turkeys are likely to consider.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
The problem is that there is very little fan ownership in the top tiers these days

Foreign investors with no links to the club or local area

There was a statement a few years ago stating that the television money was so much that each club could let the fans in for free and the club would still make more money than the previous season

With “fans” all over Asia and Africa paying to watch there’s very little thought as to what the fans want

The fans are no longer keeping the club afloat at that level

Very sad times indeed

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
It feels like some kind of ESL is inevitable given the regularity with which it comes up.

Would be interesting re the players who play for the breakaway clubs not being able to play international (wonder if that sort of ban would be legally enforceable?) but I suspect money would win out, as it always does, and if forced to make a choice most players would choose the presumably larger wages of the ESL clubs over international football anyway.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The problem is that there is very little fan ownership in the top tiers these days

Foreign investors with no links to the club or local area

There was a statement a few years ago stating that the television money was so much that each club could let the fans in for free and the club would still make more money than the previous season

With “fans” all over Asia and Africa paying to watch there’s very little thought as to what the fans want

The fans are no longer keeping the club afloat at that level

Very sad times indeed

I'm curious to know how this Covid period of no fans in the ground has affected clubs in the Premier League financially.

I know that clubs outside of the top flight have suffered, but I wonder if these so called 'top six' have discovered that a 'global audience', without fans in the ground, sustains their business model just fine?

I wonder if El Pres has any figures to share on this period?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here