Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Dicker

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh dear. Poyet didn't have a decent option on the left wing at his disposal until he was able to sign Lua Lua.

That isn't the point.

It's not a criticism of Poyet for [having to] playing him there.

His point is that it was unfair of some people to judge Dicker harshly on his recent performances, out of position.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That isn't the point.

It's not a criticism of Poyet for [having to] playing him there.

His point is that it was unfair of some people to judge Dicker harshly on his recent performances, out of position.

I am pretty sure Walt was using it as a stick to beat Poyet. Only he knows the answer to that one, I guess.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Superb goal, but otherwise he had a poor game, I lost count at how many miss places passes he gave away. He is normally a lot better than that. Still, he'll be remembered for his brilliant goal, and it certainly was a joy to behold!

Are you sure it wasn't Navarro? He had a shocker with his passing on Sat - either too quick, misplaced or too slow. Did well in defence and in intercepting their passes though. I thought Dicker had a solid all-round game and linked-up well with the forwards.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can't remember our first goal, how many players were in the corner when Bennett crossed it in?

[yt]RCTDgMHu0W4[/yt]

Bennett taking it, one albion player a few feet up the line from him, pulling two defenders to the edge of the box.

A bit of variety would be good, too. Those defenders were at the edge of the box, meaning they had less distance to cover to get back and help because they knew two being there would put them off the short corner, without over committing.

But, I think varience should come in delivery. They should actually use the short corner occasionally, when the two men are standing off like Exeter did for their goal. Sometimes they should play it to the edge of the box, the far post, toward the penalty spot. Really, we need to mix it up instead of playing the same ball, even if we always pull a player out for the near corner.

As for why not every manager does it, name me one tactic that is used. Not every team uses the offside trap, so should no one? Not every team tries to get the ball down the wings, so should no team? Not every team plays 4-5-1 so should no team? Not every team drops players onto the posts for corners, so should none? Not every team plays man-to-man marking for set pieces, so should none?

Different managers and coaches have different philosophies, different players and different groups of players have different strengths and weaknesses. The fact not every team uses the short corner tactic, doesn't mean it's bad or wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here