Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Barlow/X factor tonite

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The Complete Bateman:
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just ONE of the signs of truly great pop songs is the number of people who cover the song and give it their own interpretation.

Now I am no Paul McCartney fan but I can think of so many songs of his and Lennon's that have been covered by artists from various genres. Stand out being "Yesterday" which I personally hate BUT it is great songwriting and has been covered by hundreds maybe even thousands of artists

Remind me again of who has covered Take That/Gary Barlow songs ( which are good for the most part I admit, but great? ...laughable)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Beatles were around 50 years ago. Take That have been in the business for a third of that, and you could argue that much of their finest work is no more than five years old. Hardly a fair comparison is it? We'll reconvene in 2040 and see who has covered TT by then.

Hmm the Beatles recorded from about 1963 to 1969 so it's a totally fair comparison as Take That have almost certainly been recording for much longer than that. People were queuing up to record Beatles songs from the very early days and their songs were covered or they wrote songs for loads of other people whilst they were a band. Who have TT written songs for, who is recording covers of their songs? If they were that fantastic people would be doing it now..surely???

Unfortunately most of the Beatles songs that get airplay these days are quite crap ones. Hey Jude, The Long and Winding Road etc. The stuff off the White Album and Revolver rarely get airtime.

Last edited:

Lush

Mods' Pet
With the greatest of respect, it would appear you're talking bollocks. How can some washed-up Scouser who wrote the same song 100 different ways and just happened to cash in on a period in history when life was shit and there was no competition be superior to the man who gave us Rule the World? Jesus.

173776193.jpg

*facepalm*

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The Beatles: Broke the mould of British bands at the time by writing their own songs and in three years went from Please Please Me to A Day In The Life in three years, inventing the modern album including studio experimentation along the way. Went on to showcase proto-dance music (Tomorrow Never Knows), punk (Helter Skelter) and MOR (Here Comes The Sun). Having said that Macca has done much since, possibly early Wings apart.

Take That: Barlow will probably go down with Noel Gallagher as the top songwriters of the 90s but does struggle with up tempo stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here