Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My short reply would be "Yes!"
It looks like the rose has been planted a good 300mm too deep. That would be like planting a tree with just the top poking out of the ground!

Hang on, back to being confused again.
Because he's only just dug it out from 'inside' the grass.

Jnr cut the obviously dead stems off, leaving the only sign of life then planted that across the garden.

Is he to just pull the newly replanted rose root ball out?

Sorry I know I'm being really fick.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Jnr cut the obviously dead stems off, leaving the only sign of life then planted that across the garden.

A lot of roses are actually two different plants 'grafted' together. (Think Frankenstein but with less gore!). The top bit is a rose which has lots of good flowers, but not such great roots. The bottom bit has great roots but no flowers.

Your top one is dead, but your bottom one is making a great come back. If you want to have lots of leaves up your wall, but with no flowers on you go. If you want flowers, bin it and buy a new one.

My specialty is gardening for thickos (at least that was how it was explained to me) :wink:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

In, a nutshell, chuck it, it's had it! Please see what WATFORD zero has stated in another very recent post on this thread. He has explained it layman's terms, something I'm not good at!!

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Until someone who knows what they are talking about comes along and corrects me, I'm guessing freesia.
Great effort. I'll second that, although I'm going to check by consulting a fellow gardening friend of mine.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Haha.....yes, Freesia. Should smell divine.

Freesias, wisteria, honeysuckle, you use the word divine more than all the other hammers supporters I have ever met put together :wink:

I recognise when I'm in the presence of genius. I get reminded every time I drive by :bowdown:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Freesias, wisteria, honeysuckle, you use the word divine more than all the other hammers supporters I have ever met put together :wink:

I recognise when I'm in the presence of genius. I get reminded every time I drive by :bowdown:

Thank you Sir. Some big fantastic news to come in the next few months regarding the Rockery. :whistle:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No rain on the horizon....up to 22c forecast for tomorrow and then Tuesday night down to 1c :moo:

Tuesday night should be fine, especially on the coast, weather people tend to overestimate how low a night time temperature might get in case they get lots of complaints from people who were hardening off their Tomato's

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As he's now on the side of the garden with the path, today I'll be buying Jnr an edge cutter

Exciting times.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
As he's now on the side of the garden with the path, today I'll be buying Jnr an edge cutter

Exciting times.

Is that what common people cut their hedges with, or is it a half-moon, (D-iron)?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thank you Sir. Some big fantastic news to come in the next few months regarding the Rockery. :whistle:

You've bought some more coffee and my tomatoes are ready to pick up?! :kiss:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is that what common people cut their hedges with, or is it a half-moon, (D-iron)?

Half moon, hopefully the post office will sell diamond encrusted ones, so I can hang out with the kool kids.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
i’m going to plant out my sweet corn sometime during the next week as they are roughly a foot tall now. when i do it should i plant level soil level or a bit deeper as per tomatoes?. Same question also re my cucumber plants

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here