Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Nah I genuinely can't be doing with it.

I have a loathing for stuff like weeding etc.

I just can't be doing with all the faff.
Then doing all over again and again.

Chop it all down once a year, bag it up, go to the tip, then forget about it for the next 361 days.

Do you not do showers either? :lol:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
c45ef86e20e1e1d5bd0bf94bf0cb1ff8.jpg

Is this rose “dead”? And/or would be better off replacing it as it is clearly not going to do much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I know there is one shoot that shows as being green, but there is a lot of die back.
Get rid I say, but seeing as I hate roses, I'd say that about a healthy one!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
There appears to be half a dozen green stems. Cut these back to about 6". The rest, cut them back as far as you can and remove. Don't let it dry out.

Of course, it might just be easier to get a new one.

Rose.jpg

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
You might also want to increase the size of the planting area......the circle where it's planted in the grass. I'd go for at least twice the diameter of what you've already got and keep it plant and weed free.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
While on 'Rose Chat', how do I reintroduce my climbing rose to the wall behind it?

The annual autumn hedgetrim has turned my climber into something a bit more bush-like.

I basically want to nail it to the brick wall but feel that might not be the best course of action.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
While on 'Rose Chat', how do I reintroduce my climbing rose to the wall behind it?

The annual autumn hedgetrim has turned my climber into something a bit more bush-like.

I basically want to nail it to the brick wall but feel that might not be the best course of action.

You may have to drill in some "vine eyes"....a metal ring that will screw in (available on line or at most big garden centres)

You then put wires across and tie in the rose shoots to the wire. Anything you can't tie in, you should be able to cut off in order to maintain the shape.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

You seem to have a chronic case of what us gardeners know as "Supermarket Car Park Syndrome"! Symptoms are exactly how you describe. Get the hedge-trimmer out once a year in August, and if it's green, cut it, regardless of what it is. The only advantage of this treatment is that everything looks neat and tidy, but that's about it. If that's all you want, all well and good.
However, there are more plants than not that won't do what they should. The classic example is the poor old Forsythia. It spends all summer producing growth that will hold all those lovely bright yellow flowers in spring, but alas, if it suffers from SCPS, it will virtually all be cut off and you'll be lucky to get any colour at all.
Roses, whether bush or climbers which succumb to SCPS will produce thinner and weedier growth as the years go by, which won't be thick enough to produce flowers, and will suffer from a lot of "blind" shoots.
Going back to the original question re your climbing rose, I would cut all the branches back to about 300mm. It should then produce a few lovely strong new shoots which should grow at quite a pace. As they get longer and thicker, tie to the wire as suggested by Jevs. Don't cut anything off. Just tie these growths in. At the end of the summer, you will have a framework of branches which may or may not produce flowers this year, but next year they will. Then Google "How to prune climbing roses" to save me getting really, really boring!
Simple game this old gardening malarkey!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You seem to have a chronic case of what us gardeners know as "Supermarket Car Park Syndrome"! Symptoms are exactly how you describe. Get the hedge-trimmer out once a year in August, and if it's green, cut it, regardless of what it is. The only advantage of this treatment is that everything looks neat and tidy, but that's about it. If that's all you want, all well and good.
However, there are more plants than not that won't do what they should. The classic example is the poor old Forsythia. It spends all summer producing growth that will hold all those lovely bright yellow flowers in spring, but alas, if it suffers from SCPS, it will virtually all be cut off and you'll be lucky to get any colour at all.
Roses, whether bush or climbers which succumb to SCPS will produce thinner and weedier growth as the years go by, which won't be thick enough to produce flowers, and will suffer from a lot of "blind" shoots.
Going back to the original question re your climbing rose, I would cut all the branches back to about 300mm. It should then produce a few lovely strong new shoots which should grow at quite a pace. As they get longer and thicker, tie to the wire as suggested by Jevs. Don't cut anything off. Just tie these growths in. At the end of the summer, you will have a framework of branches which may or may not produce flowers this year, but next year they will. Then Google "How to prune climbing roses" to save me getting really, really boring!
Simple game this old gardening malarkey!!

Thanks.

It looks pretty strong and healthy.
It has previously grown against the wall of it's own accorded, but as said this year it's looking more bushy.
Granted this is the first time I've looked at it, for a few years, but there are a couple of decent stems now growing the wrong way.

I shall now endeavour to push them back towards the wall, without stepping on the poppies!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thanks.

It looks pretty strong and healthy.
It has previously grown against the wall of it's own accorded, but as said this year it's looking more bushy.
Granted this is the first time I've looked at it, for a few years, but there are a couple of decent stems now growing the wrong way.

I shall now endeavour to push them back towards the wall, without stepping on the poppies!
Concentrate on tying in as many nice long new growths as you can. You may have to wait before they're long enough and flexible enough to move to where you want to tie them without them breaking.
If you've got any real "birds nests" of growth, cut them out.
Are the mature leaves made up of 5 or 7 leaflets? If it's 5, you've got a good rose. If it's 7, it's a sucker or vigorous rambler.
We love a photo on this thread!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Concentrate on tying in as many nice long new growths as you can. You may have to wait before they're long enough and flexible enough to move to where you want to tie them without them breaking.
If you've got any real "birds nests" of growth, cut them out.
We love a photo on this thread!

What a photo (preferably a video) of SB gardening....ye all for it I need something to laugh at :whistle:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's the rose in question which is too stooopid to know there's a wall behind it:-

IMG_20200508_100358.jpg

IMG_20200508_100333.jpg
If you look closely in this one you might even be able to see some 3 week old baby poppies.

and here it is now, grateful for the advise and incredibly thankful it's owner is a freakin genius:-

IMG_20200508_102904.jpg

Last edited:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Climbers, or ramblers, have by nature quite lax stems. Once you've pruned these stems to length, remove any outward facing ones. They 'learn' to keep to the wall and you don't take your eye out working near them

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Encouraged by Pa Stats hard work this morning Jnr has started on t'other of the garden.

Straight off the bat he found a single stem rose growing out of a grass thing ("that should be by a pond")

Not the clearest of pics but he is now attempting to dig out the roses root ball in order to put it somewhere else.

IMG_20200508_122310.jpg

Now for the row:-

I say the experts will tell us to cut back the only living stem.

Jnr says they wont.

IMG_20200508_124036.jpg

IMG_20200508_125106.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Encouraged by Pa Stats hard work this morning Jnr has started on t'other of the garden.

Straight off the bat he found a single stem rose growing out of a grass thing ("that should be by a pond")

Not the clearest of pics but he is now attempting to dig out the roses root ball in order to put it somewhere else.

View attachment 123302

Now for the row:-

I say the experts will tell us to cut back the only living stem.

Jnr says they wont.

View attachment 123311

View attachment 123312

Are photos 2 and 3 the same rose?
In the bottom photo, the fully-grown leaves have 7 leaflets and the colour of the stem is a light minty green. This is more than likely a "sucker" although suckers tend not to have hardly any thorns. A sucker is the term given to a growth that comes from below where the named variety was budded on to the root-stock, usually a wild briar to either give or reduce vigour. As suckers usually come from just below or just above ground level, the may continue to grow when the named variety above it has died off. That what looks like has happened in the second photo.
https://www.gardenseeker.com/plant-care/roses/suckers/
The "rose" is dead but the roots are still living.

As for cutting back, you don't want any dead, dying or diseased growth on any plants. They need to be cut right out.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are photos 2 and 3 the same rose?
In the bottom photo, the fully-grown leaves have 7 leaflets and the colour of the stem is a light minty green. This is more than likely a "sucker" although suckers tend not to have hardly any thorns. A sucker is the term given to a growth that comes from below where the named variety was budded on to the root-stock, usually a wild briar to either give or reduce vigour. As suckers come from just below ground level, the may continue to grow when the named variety above it has died off. That what looks like has happened in the second photo.
https://www.gardenseeker.com/plant-care/roses/suckers/
The "rose" is dead but the roots are still living.
Yep all 3 photos are the same.

I don't fully understand what you've written so are you saying the whole thing can go on the rubbish pile now?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Yep all 3 photos are the same.

I don't fully understand what you've written so are you saying the whole thing can go on the rubbish pile now?
My short reply would be "Yes!"
It looks like the rose has been planted a good 300mm too deep. That would be like planting a tree with just the top poking out of the ground!

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Mistley Essex
Can anyone tell me what these are ( I know they're flowers) just appeared this spring in an old flower container. IMG_20200508_140546.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here