Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gannon's body language yesterday said

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Class bloke, his reasons for turning us down we perfectly fair and he certainly didn't deserve the wanker chant. He turned down our poisoned chalice because of family commitments, and a commit to his hometown and adored club which was (and still is) up shit creek. Have some respect. ???

No. He can f*** right off.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I think "wanker" is a tad harsh.

Blinded by our devotion to the Albion we may be, but perhaps he didn't want to uproot his young family several hundred miles. Maybe he felt a strong sense of loyalty to Stockport's players and fans. I think that's quite admirable considering their circumstances: many people in his position would have jumped ship at the first opportunity.

To call him a wanker simply because he decided the Albion wasn't the right move for him at that point in his life is deeply unfair, IMHO. The likes of Ian Holloway and Alan Pardew, who go fluttering their eyelashes at every club who comes knocking, then piss off leaving their existing clubs in the lurch, deserve your abuse.

I don't see why Jim Gannon deserves to be booed under the circumstances. Loyalty is a rare quality in football, it's nice to see a bit for once.

100% agree although, I think JG can do one as we got baldy now!
:bowdown:

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
I Dont think its fair to judge him, listen we all know he turned us down but he turned us down not because he didnt want to become our boss and never did he say he didnt he said it was due to his family being settled and not wanting to move and the fact he felt like he couldnt just abandon the team he loves and for a manager to be like that is a breath of fresh air in my mind.
Sure, he turned us down but this does not make him a bad guy or a wanker I for one respected him:clap:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No. He can f*** right off.

So...if we were up shit creek financially, and Carlisle, for example, came calling attempting to tempt Russell Slade, you'd presumably be completely understanding if he walked out on the spot.

Or would you call him a fat, bald, disloyal, money grabbing bastard?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Gannon turned down our great club. TWICE by all accounts. Also he did his best to get us relegated. As far as I am concerned he is an utter C*NT.

If his motive was to get us relegated, Dicker wouldn't have been able to play. Remind me whose volley led to the crucial goal?

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Gannon's body language yesterday said...."Why did I choose to wear this aweful suit?!"

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Class bloke, his reasons for turning us down we perfectly fair and he certainly didn't deserve the wanker chant. He turned down our poisoned chalice because of family commitments, and a commit to his hometown and adored club which was (and still is) up shit creek. Have some respect. ???

Totally agree
If he had stated that he turned us down because we were worse than them or because stockport were a bigger club then yes I would be more than happy to call him a wanker but I personally respect his decision and he made it for the right reasons, for his family and the club he loves and doesnt want to abandon them because they are up shit creek with no paddle so to speak.
We have Slade now and im happy with him but i have upmost respect for him as a manager and a proffesional, afterall commitment is a main attribute of being a good manager

Uncle just to ask you a question say you were to take over as brighton boss the club you loved and supported the fans loved you and so did the players what would you of done in his position? Abandoned us? I HOPE NOT!:rant:

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Also he did his best to get us relegated. As far as I am concerned he is an utter C*NT.

Are you 12?

I don't understand that statement at all. He allowed the player who set up the goal that ensured our survival to play. He's a PROFESSIONAL football manager and hence will want the best for his team. If I was a manager, I'd be incredibly pissed off if my players didn't try, even if it was meaningless in terms of the season - remember the anger over Ghee's rollover and subsequent comments after the Stoke game.

Are Paul Trollope of Bristol Rovers and Lee Clarke of Huddersfield wankers? Their respective teams played exponentially better against us in the same set of circumstances than Stockport did yesterday.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I don't want Gannon to be our manager ,if Slade got a better offer, he would be a good alternative. Anyone who boos him is a bit ridiculous really. He probably had to come down and see what we had to offer and then turned us down pretty quickly so I think attacking him and calling him a w****r is extremely harsh. Some people on here really aren't happy unless they are having a go at someone and now Slade is doing well, they turn elsewhere.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Cant think of another manager that has chosen to stay at a club that he knew were deep in the shite when at the same time was being offered jobs not just from brighton,that sounds to me like the man is either raving mad or a bloody decent bloke who has belief in himself and the fans and players of stockport,cant call a man a wanker for being loyal. If it was for that suit fair enough

Gannon looked to me like a Man who was thinking. Oh f*** I have screwed it up haven't I ?.

What does anyone know - he might have already arranged to become OUR manager next season, so he kept his decorum with our (just very silly) fans.

That we fans are privvy to nothing at this club until after it has happened, has already been made abundantly clear.
Some would exclaim that Slade wants the job and they want him - but for all we know he's done the job he was asked to do and might not be the long-term manager.
If he is, why haven't we heard so much as a squeak from the boardroom that says his advances are welcomed, that they are as interested in keeping him on?

I don't want Gannon to be our manager ,if Slade got a better offer, he would be a good alternative. Anyone who boos him is a bit ridiculous really. He probably had to come down and see what we had to offer and then turned us down pretty quickly so I think attacking him and calling him a w****r is extremely harsh. Some people on here really aren't happy unless they are having a go at someone and now Slade is doing well, they turn elsewhere.

And it could be that he has a moral standard he upholds, and was tied to Stockport until the end of the season - and unlike Dowie is a man of his word. All quite feasible, even in the dodgy world of football managers.

Philcounty

Feb 25, 2009
Congleton
he did his best to get us relegated

How's that then? By allowing Dicker to play?

I don't get all the hostility, he was always very complimentary about Brighton. Yes he turned you down, but I think his reasons were fair enough.

The fact he decided to talk to you should, IMHO, be considered a compliment. He obviously thinks highly of your team to even consider a move away from the team he has such strong loyalties for.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World

I don't get all the hostility, he was always very complimentary about Brighton. Yes he turned you down, but I think his reasons were fair enough.

The fact he decided to talk to you should, IMHO, be considered a compliment. He obviously thinks highly of your team to even consider a move away from the team he has such strong loyalties for.

I second that. I'm rather disappointed at the people who say for him to "f*** himself" for turning us down.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

Don't worry phil, hopefully you can see that 90% of posters on this thread agree with you.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For what it is worth I was impressed with the way Stockport played the ball around rather than hoof ball so if Slade is not appointed I would be quite happy for DK to approach JG again .

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I think that most Brighton fans admire Gannon and can see that he has a lot of loyalty to Stockport and is clearly a very good manager. I think every club has its idiots and they were the people who were booing him yesterday. He did not take the piss when we tried to bring him in as manager and most fans appreciate that. He spoke highly of the way the board handled the situation and was clearly very professional throughout.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here