Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gannon or Slade next season?

Who should we have managing the Albion next season?

• Total voters

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
If Gannon gets the job, it has all been sorted since before RS was appointed. I don't believe they would go for anyone else if Slade does indeed keep us up. The only way it would be Gannon is if he agreed to come at the end of the season whichever division we were in (but timing wasn't right before).

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
If Gannon gets the job, it has all been sorted since before RS was appointed. I don't believe they would go for anyone else if Slade does indeed keep us up. The only way it would be Gannon is if he agreed to come at the end of the season whichever division we were in (but timing wasn't right before).

I really hope that isn't true.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Slade is due for a promotion having missed out twice before in the playoffs. Third time lucky with us at Wembley next season would be quite acceptable.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I think Slade should be allowed to take on his own backroom staff.

HE might be quite happy with the two currently doing the job. And before all of the usual suspects start banging on about "jobs for the boys" and other unproven bollocks-I'm sure that if they are kept on it will only be because Slade wants them.

Gannon - turned us down , TWICE and wanted to stay at Stockport County FFS
Slade - 12 points in 5 games and bleeds BHAFC already

Difficult choice.

But would he have been your choice after the Swindon game? Too many people on here are fickle about their likes and dislikes purely based on results.

Of course results are hugely important but it was clear BEFORE RS got the results we deserved that he had made a massive impact on the team and was perhaps worthy of being kept anyway. Many on here were not of the same opinion and waxed lyrical their pessimism about results bla bla bla - a little sincere humble pie wouldn't go amiss.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
What a guy! He has to stay.Just looking at how the team played last night it never turned into the nerveracking siege you'd expect away from home fighting for survival.It would be very exciting to see what he could do with a whole season in Div1 if we stay up(being deliberately cautious).This wouldn't have happened with Mickey

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Tell Gannon that the jobs his, get him to resign and buy a house in brighton, then tell him to f*** right off because we've changed our minds and he doesn't match our aspirations.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Didn't want Cannon ,didn't like his tv show.But Slade was brilliant in Little Britain , and he should obviously be retained - if he wants it.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
100% behind Slade now. He has done pretty much everything right and you can't argue with the results he's produced.

SLADE IN

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
logically, its GOT to be slade. he's turned the side around, he has got supporters supporting the team again and looking forward to going to games, and only just after a month in charge is already well on the way to becoming one of the most popular managers in YEARS

but if last seasons managerial cock up was anything to go by, we could still end up with gannon

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Lest we forget one of the excuses given for the Wilkins debacle was that he didn't have the support of the dressing room and it is no secret he didn't get on with OGH (who he released) among others.

I don't think you could say the same about Slade right now, in fact I'd wager that OGH likes Mr Slade an awful lot right now, almost as much as we love OGH.

So, assuming things continue in this vein Knight would surely have NO excuse to incur the wrath of us fans again by making a costly judgment.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
It's my understanding from one of our players currently out on loan that Slade is also extremely popular with all the players (which I guess is obvious given recent results), and they desperately want him to stay too.

Despite what all the Dick Knight haters say, I would be absolutely astonished that, if in the bonus that DK talked about for Slade keeping us up, it also didn't include an extended contract. Not even Knight is that unclever.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Gannon had his chance, he didn't take it. Russell Slade was offered a deal until the end of the season with no guarantee of getting the job longer term and he took it. He's united all the fans and players together and he's getting results, Rusell Slade is 100% the right man longer term now and I really hope Dick sees that. He's not a big name manager and he's not someone who is going to get poached off us, but he's a good manager doing a brilliant job with this bunch of players and if he's left to mould the squad his way, we'll do well next season.

Given the remarkable turnaround in our fortunes made even more impressive by the non availability of star players like Murray and Forster should the board still be contemplating trying to tempt 1st choice Gannon to take over as manager next season?

Personally I think the board should go with the flow, give us some continuity and give Slade at least a years contract and not even consider re-approaching Gannon.

Who would you prefer

I was not at all convinced about Slade's appointment but I was wrong and I don't remember the last Albion manager who had such a good bond with the fans, although it's early days.

Tsk. So you already have decided you were wrong, and now everyone else is going to put their faith in?
It's too early!
Even if we stay up, I as a fan would prefer to be convinced by the manager and the team next season - for a whole season - and not just based on the desperation of our relegation-threatened end-of-season period. Look, RS's side has still has lost more points than gained up to now, but I bet there are those who are calling him "Albion legend".

I think that would be an insult to proper legends of this club - but I'm certainly open to RS earning that accolade and behind him in that effort - and especially before some other bloke who has turned the job down!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
In the last few phone ins, NMH, I have agreed with pretty much everything you've said. But not about Russell Slade last night, he's done more than enough to prove he's worth a longer term contract for me, I don't think we can rule out relegation completely but I firmly believe we won't be back in the bottom 4 again now. Russell Slade has done what he came here do, 9/10ths of the way atleast.

Lest we forget one of the excuses given for the Wilkins debacle was that he didn't have the support of the dressing room and it is no secret he didn't get on with OGH (who he released) among others.

I don't think you could say the same about Slade right now, in fact I'd wager that OGH likes Mr Slade an awful lot right now, almost as much as we love OGH.

So, assuming things continue in this vein Knight would surely have NO excuse to incur the wrath of us fans again by making a costly judgment.

Now of course OGH has put in a worthy performance and has renewed confidence so suits the agenda for anyone suggesting that DW was rightly sacked.
He hadn't "lost the dressing room" as people seem to want to suggest. As you say, he was losing Hart and Reid and Mayo - that isn't the same as losing the team players.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Slade all the way.

I agree that, although his efforts in the last month or two are great and somewhat unexpected, it doesnt mean he could maintain this for a whole season, but the point is he`s deserved a try at a whole season, in fact i`d give him a 2 yr contract with the proviso that hes got to try and get us up within 2 yrs, bloody hard in my opinion if you realise who is coming down from the championshp, the likes of charlton, southampton?, norwich? but he seems tactically aware, isnt prone to putting on strange subs, ala mickey adams, and has the passion that mickey showed when he first came (which was strangely missing on his second stint).

Gannon?, not now, no, never, had his chance, blew it, wally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here