Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

G.O.S.B.T.S. Who Started It's Demise?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Liverpool's "You'll Never Walk Alone", WHU's "Bubbles", Birmingham's "Keep Right On 'Til The End of The Road" and many more anthems I'm sure, send a shiver down your spine when sung by the massed ranks of fans.
Sung slowly and passionately with real meaning.
Believe it or not, G.O.S.B.T.S. also used to be sung in a similar way back in the day, when you left the North Stand with your ears ringing.
Over time, it has degenerated in to a race to see who can sing it the quickest.
Lets' get it out of the way quick. Sing it as fast as you can, the more intelligable the better.
WHY?
If that's what people prefer, please explain.
Otherwise, we need to do something to resurrect our anthem and make it a serious hymn once again.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It doesn't help that they play a hundred-mile-an-hour version of GOSBTS over the tannoy when we win at withdean.

Not that we hear it much.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
All the clubs you've listed play the songs with full lyrics before and after each match. Making it easy for fans to sing along and know the words.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
All the clubs you've listed play the songs with full lyrics before and after each match. Making it easy for fans to sing along and know the words.

I don't think JS is suggesting the full works - rather, returning to singing the same words as now (going up to win the cup), but slowly.

In which case, I agree.

Is the 'race to finish' due to young people's attention spans?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sussex by the Sea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I have sung this many times in concerts etc and we were always told before we started to imagine it is the night before you are about to go "over the top". You remember the green fields, the rolling Downs, your loved ones at home who chances are you will never see again and to think of your comrades who would be feeling exactly the same as you awaiting your fate.

Put that in a football context and it doesn't quite work.

We once sang it in Arundel cathederal, the only light coming from the candles and the organists music stand.....it was hauntingly beautiful

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I don't think JS is suggesting the full works - rather, returning to singing the same words as now (going up to win the cup), but slowly.

In which case, I agree.

Yes but it also helps to give an idea of the tempo.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Spot-on there Mr Straw: enough is enough!

Sort it out people. :angry:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I

I think there's something in this.
People who have joined us at the Albion perhaps in the last 15 years or so have been born into the "sing it as quick as you can" way.
These people would be of a younger generation, so can't really be blamed if they don't know any other way.
We must reverse the trend and start to slow it down again.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I thought that if you didnt finish it within 7 seconds the world ended?

I dont know why all the songs are song so fast. Even we are Brighton is really fast.

When one of our chants is played on the tannoy system, we cant even sing in time - just listen out next to you here Hey Jude or Carnival de Paris, our fans sing it faster even with the guide of the original song being played loudly.

Pet hate of mine, songs being sung fast, mainly because I cant keep up :lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think there's something in this.
People who have joined us at the Albion perhaps in the last 15 years or so have been born into the "sing it as quick as you can" way.
These people would be of a younger generation, so can't really be blamed if they don't know any other way.
We must reverse the trend and start to slow it down again.

Not only is it 'sung' quickly, it also seems to be sung on one note.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
It desparetly needs a single person, with say a megaphone, to lead the timing - Step forward Crispies ?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
This may be a shit suggestion and verging on being a little ‘gay’ but can we not have a flyer passed around at Orient demanding GOSBTS is sung at the appropriate speed?

The seagull love review managed to distribute a song sheet of forever blowing bubbles for Millwall away last year so perhaps they could spearhead the campaign with another leaflet or front page announcement.

I only raise this because I feel our current rendition is a crock of f***ing shite and borders on embarrassing.

Ps. I blame that Tom hark fella.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here