Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

From today's Argus Amex Travel debate

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
Some valid points in the article, but he loses all credibility at the end when he seems to think the west stand is on the east of the ground.

The question that Don Macbeth is asking is: who is responsible for "solving the problem" - the Club or the transport operators?

The question that isn't being asked is: who is being adversely affected by "the problem" - supporters or the general public?

I have seen very little evidence of non-football people complaining about unacceptable transport conditions on match days. The "problems" - such as they are - have been gripes from supporters. But there has been a remarkable tolerance from most supporters of issues like how long it takes to get away from a game - most people realise that a 20,000 crowd takes longer to disperse than a 7,000 one.

It is only when non-football people get to be so badly affected by football matches that they start to suffer unacceptably that self-appointed spokespersons like Mr Macbeth might have a point to make. As things stand, we haven't reached that point.

Having said that, I happen to think that there are things that the Club could do to make the travelling experience of its customers better. Many of them have been discussed by supporters on NSC. But that is an entirely different issue.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
It is only when non-football people get to be so badly affected by football matches that they start to suffer unacceptably that self-appointed spokespersons like Mr Macbeth might have a point to make. As things stand, we haven't reached that point.

Having said that, I happen to think that there are things that the Club could do to make the travelling experience of its customers better. Many of them have been discussed by supporters on NSC. But that is an entirely different issue.

That is spot on Lord B - hence when things like the Coldean parking comments come up, the club need to be acting to debunk myths and deal with real issues (and live up to promises made). As you say the inconvenience is currently on fans, however the tolerance of supporters will start to erode after a bad defeat or a wet post game delay.

The club (with significant help from supporters and other agencies) have made good progress with the Bennets Field system, improved the park and ride organisation, starting to get the disabled parking better controlled.

The obvious next areas are;

- the train queuing (to ensure effective use of east and westbound services) and ensuring that trains are loaded to their reasonable capacity.

- signposting to park and ride sites either in advance of the match via websites or communications and on the day via main routes

- getting the travel voucher purchase more logical

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
- the train queuing (to ensure effective use of east and westbound services) and ensuring that trains are loaded to their reasonable capacity.
l

The trouble is the trains can only stand so long at Falmer without impacting the trains following, it needs to be stressed that if everyone moved right inside the train immediately instead of standing by the doors the trains could be loaded quicker and get more on

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The trouble is the trains can only stand so long at Falmer without impacting the trains following, it needs to be stressed that if everyone moved right inside the train immediately instead of standing by the doors the trains could be loaded quicker and get more on

I must admit EVERY time I have to stand on a train I move right inside. Maybe because I commute I do it naturally. People who just stand by the doors are IDIOTS, especially when you can see that its BUSY.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Having said that there is a real fat bastard who has got on the bus outside Falmer. He is a real, real fatty and instead of sitting down (generally he is first on so he has a pick of a seat) will insist on standing by the driver thus meaning EVERYONE else has to squeeze past him.

So if you are reading this, sit the f*** down so people can get on quicker.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
I've been at every home game and whilst the first 1 or 2 were kind of training exercises, we've got the hang of it using the train now.

Facility to buy travel vouchers on the gate of park n ride or university car parks would be good.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
Yeah - I couldn't work out how they had worked out the names of the stands. The East Stand is definately more "North" than "East" - hence the suntan I got from my seat in the East Stand at the Blackpool game. So, effectively, the North Stand fans are chanting "We're the North Stand" on behalf of us in the East.
:facepalm:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

Understand fully - we need those train depsatchers they have in tokyo that LITERALLY force people down into the train.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
ffs, he wants to go down to the aquarium roundabout at teatime, its f***ing gridlocked every day of the week. Were only talking about an hour or two, once a fortnight generally. Some people are never happy, so what it takes us an hour to get home, who gives a f***? I know I dont.

Poaching Stephen Reeves from B&HCC last month and appointing him as Transport Manager(?) would seem to be one of the better club signings before the window closed. Although not impacted directly, it seems to me that the developing fiasco at Bennett's Field was dealt with quickly and firmly as soon as SR became involved.
He'll also have first hand knowledge on what the Council's concerns, views etc are on sustainable transport, capacity extension etc.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Understand fully - we need those train depsatchers they have in tokyo that LITERALLY force people down into the train.

Either that or do what they do in India and travel on the roof! Just remember to "plank" when you get to the bridge.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
"To build such a huge stadium near the top of a rail tunnel running under a high point in the South Downs was, to me, a non-starter. "

A strange definition of non starter here - given that we have built the stadium and it all semms to be working pretty well

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
and exactly which tunnel is it close to??????

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
To build such a huge stadium near the top of a rail tunnel running under a high point in the South Downs

errrrrr............where is this tunnel "running under a high point of the south downs" ???????????????????????????

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I would wager a bet that the vast majority of supporters are very happy right now

I'm with Cheesy on this, I've been critical of the travel in the past (more about communication really) but it is improving and with the appointment of a new transport manager things can and will continue to improve.

That letter is utter bollocks - surprised they even gave credence to it by printing it

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
The problem with people like Don MacBeth is that he will seize upon anything which confirms his long held opinion that Falmer was an unsuitable site and has inadequate transport links, and choose to ignore anything that might suggest he was wrong. He has seen one letter in the Argus and this was enough for him to say "Ha! I was right all along." It's called confirmation bias.

Has he experienced this "mess" first hand? I suspect not.

Will he read a letter in the Argus that contradicts his belief and change his mind? Not a chance.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Still early days. We are at the Amex for the forseeable. We will all make it work.

Unfortunately this level of sanity does not prevail everywhere, although it should. Of course Falmer isn't the perfect location - such a place doesn't exist. But if waiting 15 minutes for a train is the price to pay for having such a superb home, it's one I'm more than happy to pay.

Bisto

Getting older everyday
Oct 25, 2010
Brighton

But please resolve this puzzle for me: why is the west stand on the east side of the stadium and vice-versa?

Similarly, the north and south stands appear to be the other way round.

Have I missed something or are my navigational skills in question?

R Hillman, Woodland Avenue, Hove

Firstly, though the stands are not due East, West, North and South they are generally in the directions if you want to get clarification on this talk to those in the East (respect) who have had to buy sunlasses for the afternoon games LOL

The travel by train has greatly improved since a shuttle from Lewes to Brighton was introduced inbetween the scheduled services meaning there is a train every 10 mins or so. (The Gillingham game chaos was the catalyst for this me thinks!)

Anything is 100% better than trying to get into the Withdean, and all the other suggested location had downsides can you imagine being at Toadhole Valley!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here