Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

From today's Argus Amex Travel debate

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
and exactly which tunnel is it close to??????

The one about 400 yards from Falmer station in the Lewes direction. But what it's got to do with anything is beyond me. Does its presence make it harder to extend the Falmer platforms, or what? The man Macbeth is raving.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
There is a tunnel underneath Falmer village I think.(not affected by the stadium in any way) But the rest of his whinging is unwarranted.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Don McBeth must be mildly cretinous. "A high point" - the adjacent village is on higher ground as is the Uni of Brighton, not to mention every vista from every 360 angle you care to look at from the ground. As for the transport issues, if anyone thinks this is really a huge problem (ignoring obvious teething issues and improvements that can be made) then show me a significantly sized stadium that has no issues as "big" as ours (you wont because they dont exist). Apart from the sport, the letters page is the one good thing about the Argus - its always a laugh.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
i read his quote to mean a railway tunnel. is there one close by - clayton tunnel and patcham tunnel do not count as "close by"

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Poaching Stephen Reeves from B&HCC last month and appointing him as Transport Manager(?) would seem to be one of the better club signings before the window closed. Although not impacted directly, it seems to me that the developing fiasco at Bennett's Field was dealt with quickly and firmly as soon as SR became involved.
He'll also have first hand knowledge on what the Council's concerns, views etc are on sustainable transport, capacity extension etc.
Agreed. I'll admit that the travel hasn't been nearly as bad as I was expecting; I thought the initial teething problems would be much worse, especially the westbound trains after the match. Admittedly I haven't done an evening game yet and we've yet to have an 'incident' on the railways that brings everything to a halt, but the early signs are good.

I've only minor issues: the current travel voucher scheme needs revising for next season, we do need some more Park & Ride sites (if possible), and ideally a few extra buses. I've already emailed the bus company and asked if the 5b could run its weekday schedule on Saturdays as well, and they said they said it was a 'potential future timetable adjustment'.

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
I'm a lifelong albion supported and I'm not happy! Yeah, i know we've got a shiny new stadium, and I know we're top of the league, and I know we've got a squad of quality players and I know we've got one of the best managers around and I know we've got a chairman who's not short of a bob or too, but it takes me 30 minutes longer than it should to get to and from the game and the final straw is that the stadium isn't alligned exactly with my compass.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
You can agree that the the travel arrangements initially were not the best, but tbf half a dozen or so games into our first season things have improved massively, to deem it as anything like the bloke on the argus is laughable tbh - a bit like saying we have won the league already. I've met a few of the anti falmer brigade around Lewes, some have been pleasantly surprised and others are still very much anti but that's just one of those things I suppose :shrug:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I'm a lifelong albion supported and I'm not happy! Yeah, i know we've got a shiny new stadium, and I know we're top of the league, and I know we've got a squad of quality players and I know we've got one of the best managers around and I know we've got a chairman who's not short of a bob or too, but it takes me 30 minutes longer than it should to get to and from the game and the final straw is that the stadium isn't alligned exactly with my compass.

I AGREE and would like to add that it is also annoying when it runs out of Harveys and the occasional pie is serverd too hot or too cold.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I think this fells the argument at the first fence.........................

"I am a lifelong supporter of the Albion but have always regarded the positioning of the stadium at Falmer as folly. "

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Lifelong supporter my arse - I would wager a bet that the vast majority of supporters are very happy right now, with the transport options available to bring in and out 20,000 people in a short space of time.

Exactly! Any "lifelong suppporter" I know is still deliriously happy at everything about teh stadium and the season. Also, any "lifelong supporter" would have experienced trying to get away from grounds like White Hart Lane and Upton Park in the last few years, and would have realised that even with the full might of the London Underground, and numerous buses, it is just a slow process getting away. That is a function of teh numbers rather than the transport links.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Any 'lifelong supporter', regardless of their perceived issues with the stadium, be they transport, orientation, location, catering or whatever bonkers reasons they come up with to complain about it*, would know that we were hugely inconvenienced both financially and in timescale in proving that this is the only possible site it could have gone on. We should no longer have to be saying that.

The horse has bolted, spent some months at liberty, been caught, shot, eaten and its bones turned to glue, and this numpty has only now turned up to close the bloody door. :facepalm:

*Genuine reasons for concern such as those offered by the disabled supporters about access and parking are of course not in the category of 'bonkers'.

Agreed. I'll admit that the travel hasn't been nearly as bad as I was expecting; I thought the initial teething problems would be much worse, especially the westbound trains after the match. Admittedly I haven't done an evening game yet and we've yet to have an 'incident' on the railways that brings everything to a halt, but the early signs are good.

I've only minor issues: the current travel voucher scheme needs revising for next season, we do need some more Park & Ride sites (if possible), and ideally a few extra buses. I've already emailed the bus company and asked if the 5b could run its weekday schedule on Saturdays as well, and they said they said it was a 'potential future timetable adjustment'.

Platform congestion was shite at the Gillingham game, particularly going towards Lewes where the tailbacks over the station footbridge prevented/delayed everyone trying to get back to the Univ of Sx C/Ps - those in wheelchairs etc had a real problem. I don't think there were any special trains after the game that night though - at the Sunderland game, things were fine.

At the Racecourse P&R Planning Committee mtg it became clear that some members of the committee (not just Green party members) are not convinced that P&R represents "sustainable transport" so the club has to win this debate if it's to use additional P&R as a transport option in the "capacity extension application". Reeves is probably a good person to have in your camp for this though, shame he wasn't on board this time last year.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
i read his quote to mean a railway tunnel. is there one close by - clayton tunnel and patcham tunnel do not count as "close by"

Have you not seen the tunnel entrance just east of the station?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In Falmer Hundred in as recorded in the doomsday book in 1085

The Canons of Malling hold Stanmer from the Archbishop
Before 1066 and now it answered for 20 hides. Land for 20 ploughs, in lordship 4 ploughs.
49 Villagers with 10 smallholders have 26 ploughs.
Woodland at 6 pigs.
Value before 1066, later, and now £15.00
Attached to this manor are 7 sites in Lewes which pay 21 pence a year.

We hold this sacred ground for the King.

In Falmer Hundred in as observed after 2007

The Canons of ignorant politicians hold Falmer to ransom. Before 2007 and now it answered for a beautiful medieval church, spectacular downland, rich farmland worked by descendants of the 46 villagers, with farms and ploughs, whose numbers and way of life have little changed over the centuries.

Woodland now gone, there now exists a new and sinister steel and concrete carbuncle, dedicated to the lord of avarice. Attached to the monstrosity are car parks. Value before 2007 priceless, later and now….worthless.

We hold these sacred hills for our children. They are not ours to destroy."

Don McBeth - as quoted on NSC via The Argus - July 2007.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
In Falmer Hundred in as observed after 2007

The Canons of ignorant politicians hold Falmer to ransom. Before 2007 and now it answered for a beautiful medieval church, spectacular downland, rich farmland worked by descendants of the 46 villagers, with farms and ploughs, whose numbers and way of life have little changed over the centuries.

Woodland now gone, there now exists a new and sinister steel and concrete carbuncle, dedicated to the lord of avarice. Attached to the monstrosity are car parks. Value before 2007 priceless, later and now….worthless.

We hold these sacred hills for our children. They are not ours to destroy."

Don McBeth - as quoted on NSC via The Argus - July 2007.

Utter bullshit where are the mentions of the dual carriageways and railways then? Poncy CUNTTTT

I would love to meet Mr Scottish play and shake him warmly by the throat. Sorry hand, I meant hand.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
My journey to the Amex means leaving slightly earlier and arriving back slightly later a very small price to pay for such a spectacular new stadium

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The trouble is the trains can only stand so long at Falmer without impacting the trains following, it needs to be stressed that if everyone moved right inside the train immediately instead of standing by the doors the trains could be loaded quicker and get more on

There is also the problem on the East Bound side that there are still loads of people on the platform when a train leaves because people refuse to get the first train and change at Lewes. Therefore the rail staff cannot know whether the train is full or not

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here