Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

From Crewe Rivals

JonC

Oct 18, 2004
Hi, it's Jon here off the Crewe site. I would like to clear a couple of things up because of the unnecessary abuse over my report.

I've followed Albion's plight for years (see article I wrote on site). As such I suppose I expected you all to be a group of 'fun' fans enjoying the day out, however the sheer amount of moaning that went on was unbelievable. The referee was not poor, as you seem to suggest -1st goal was a definite free kick, 3rd was the linesman's decision. However the amount of moaning and groaning was reminiscent of West Ham or Wigan fans, not the BHA I was expecting (not to mention the racist chanting which could be heard behind the goal where I reside).

Also. Was my article really put in the Observer. Anyone got a link. I certainly did not give my permission for its publication? I'm pretty disgusted if they have just copied my report, put it in their paper and then spelt my name wrong. I feel an angry email going to the sports editor.

Anyone know if I can sue for libel?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I was stood towards the back and the group I was with were definately not chantin racist abuse and for that matter did not hear any! We were giving the ball boy some grief and singing to the kiddies at half time, but that was it!!

I, like a lot of fans would love to see it (racism) booted out of footie and if I heard it would have certainly said something!! We are in 2004 not 1974!!

I for one would like to know where these racists comments were coming from!

:censored:

JonC

Oct 18, 2004
Not so much chanting as shouting but even so a number of us in the far right corner (near to your fans) commented on it.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I didn't hear any racist chanting?!

I wasn't convinced the first goal was a free kick but haven't seen a replay.

The third goal was the linesman and he took a lot of abuse for it.

We are fun fans but we're passionate to. The ref lost control. He made some crazy decision. The yellow card your player (Lunt?) recieved was rediculous.

We really, really missed our injured defenders - Cullip & Butters. A left back at center back and a midfielder at right back. I thought we played some really good passing football and created a lot of chances. For an away side we loads of chances.

I wouldn't say we were poor. We missed our two center backs though. With them we would have been more solid and organised.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
JonC said:
Not so much chanting as shouting but even so a number of us in the far right corner (near to your fans) commented on it.

If you are on the "far right" it may have been you!

'Cos I heard nothing in our stand! Unless you think Chav is a racial comment! :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

JonC

Oct 18, 2004
Obviously my sense of direction is not as good as my famous literary talent. I mean I sit in the far left of the stand behind the goal (far right as you look at it).

Uncle Buck - 2 messages up someone even admits there was racist shouting. I heard it, at least 3 of the people I was with heard it. Why try to brush it under the carpet?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
JonC said:
Obviously my sense of direction is not as good as my famous literary talent. I mean I sit in the far left of the stand behind the goal (far right as you look at it).

Uncle Buck - 2 messages up someone even admits there was racist shouting. I heard it, at least 3 of the people I was with heard it. Why try to brush it under the carpet?

I am saying I did not hear it, although if it happened after the 3rd goal I would not know, as I had had enough and buggered off to Bargin Booze to get supplies for the journey home.

24 cans of Stongbow for £13, best bit of the day.

JonC

Oct 18, 2004
Incidentally anyone know for sure whether my report was published in the Observer.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
JonC said:

Look! This could go on and on, but Believe me, the average Brighton fan will not use racial abuse and if there was any well they weren't associated with me or quite a large number of Brighton fans I know of!!

:shootself

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Jon,

There is a lot of difference between one racist shouting his BNP filth and racist 'chanting', which implies a significant group of us making such comments.

If you look elsewhere on NSC you will see that there was one person guilty of it, he was not only seen by the authorities but also pointed out to the stewards/police officers at half time, and they proceeded to do.........nothing.

As for fun loving, we had a great time in the pub before the game with the CAFC fans, and gave excellent support to the kids at half time when they had their mini game, despite being two down.

As for your comments on the free kick for the first goal, if you were in the far right corner, you must have been at least 80 yards away, so to say that it was definitely a free kick means you must have laser vision. In my view Jones made a meal of it, but shit happens, and with Leon Knight in the side we have won a few dodgy decisions in the last 18 months. The third goal did appear to be a poor decision by the linesman, but he was trying to see through a forest of players.

JonC

Oct 18, 2004
OK apologies.

Thought I heard a few people being racist but you seem to have it covered.

We have had similar problems before unfortunately (Walsall (A) last year - chants of BNP could be heard towards the Asian linesman who had made a series of terrible errors).

Perhaps the sweeping generalisations were a little harsh? You must remember that post-match copious amounts of alcohol are consumed before writing up the report. Therefore pehaps it is slightly skewed.

Anyway I'll be at the Withdean in a couple of weeks. Here's to another win.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
JonC said:

I've followed Albion's plight for years (see article I wrote on site). As such I suppose I expected you all to be a group of 'fun' fans enjoying the day out, however the sheer amount of moaning that went on was unbelievable. The referee was not poor, as you seem to suggest -1st goal was a definite free kick, 3rd was the linesman's decision. However the amount of moaning and groaning was reminiscent of West Ham or Wigan fans, not the BHA I was expecting (not to mention the racist chanting which could be heard behind the goal where I reside).

I dont think you can be allowed to get away with that one Jon.

Look at it from our point of view. The free kick was extremely harsh as your player jumped intpo Reid. If you have seen the goals on the telly this was quite obvious. The last goal, where we were we could not see the ball, but even people on your site who were next to the line reconed it was out.

Now how do you expect us to react? We are passionate fans..taking 1000+ to Crewe when we are both at the wrong end of the league I think shows that.

With regards to the racist chanting, I think you will see from the comments made here that we abhor this, however you highlighting it and tarring us all with the same brush is highly inflamatory and does nothing to endear yourself to us fans. It has been stated on here that there was one particular fan who was mainly responsible...one out of 1000. Hardly and issue is it? If your stewards had done their job properly he would have been removed. What is the point of wearing a "Kick Racism out of Football" badge and doing nothing about it?

Thankyou for tarring us with the same brush and besmirching the reputation of Brighton fans in the national press. Wether you knew anything about it is not the point. The damage has been done.

I do hope you will not be seeking the hospitality of the brighton fans if you come down in November. Having said that , apart from your whining and whinging about us I found the Crewe fans hospitable and good fun in the pub and also chatting outside the ground afterwards. It seems they dont all feel the same way as you.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I find the point about us being certanties for relegation a bit hard to take.

We all came into the season knowing it would be a long, hard season but I think there's some optimism now.

We're playing some really good football and getting some really good results.

I didn't think there was a huge amount between the sides on Sat. We missed some key players. Both sides had chances. You took yours, we didn't get the same breaks (dodgy free kick/ball off the pitch not given).

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
JonC said:
Incidentally anyone know for sure whether my report was published in the Observer.
Yes. They used a few sentences of your rivals report and called you Joe.
BTW Brighton fans might drink a lot and be mouthy but we honestly aren't racist.

JonC

Oct 18, 2004
Jesus mate. I was also chatting to fans - in the Brunswick pre match. May have seen OTLW (does he have his name on his back?).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here