Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Friday grumble - "Americanisms"

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Working in the States it's interesting to see that some "Englishisms" are now creeping into their language. Quite a few people talk about their mobile instead of cell phones and some companies even talk of CVs instead of resumes. Have to admit I like some of their sayings as they just cut down the number of words - why say getting your car ready for winter when you can "winterize' it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Working in the States it's interesting to see that some "Englishisms" are now creeping into their language. Quite a few people talk about their mobile instead of cell phones and some companies even talk of CVs instead of resumes. Have to admit I like some of their sayings as they just cut down the number of words - why say getting your car ready for winter when you can "winterize' it.

:thud:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
To the cunning linguists of NSC - I give you, like, the coffee house scenario:

Assistant: Hey, what can I get you today?

Me: A Mocha please.

Assistant: Is that like Regular, Large or Grande?

Me: Just a small one please.

Assistant: That'll be a regular then? (note the use of the question mark - thus turning a statement into a question)

Me: Is it? :)dunce:)

Assistant (looking less than amused): Is that TO GO??

Me: AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH! :shutup:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
To the cunning linguists of NSC - I give you, like, the coffee house scenario:

Assistant: Hey, what can I get you today?

Me: A Mocha please.

Assistant: Is that like Regular, Large or Grande?

Me: Just a small one please.

Assistant: That'll be a regular then? (note the use of the question mark - thus turning a statement into a question)

Me: Is it? :)dunce:)

Assistant (looking less than amused): Is that TO GO??

Me: AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH! :shutup:
Of course, if you really want to throw them, just ask 'could I have a cup of coffee, please?

Watch their confusion, despondency, panic and terror followed by them ultimately crumbling to dust.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Of course, if you really want to throw them, just ask 'could I have a cup of coffee, please?

Watch their confusion, despondency, panic and terror followed by them ultimately crumbling to dust.

Last time I did that, I was given the predictable & protracted shpeel concerning their bill o' beverage fare! Needless to say, I was within an ace of chinning the bugger :annoyed:

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Yes, like the rest of you grumpy old people, I have issues with the oftern heard mid seventies American dialect. The best I have heard was a young lad on the back of the 22, playing is I Pod and when I asked him to turn it down, the reply was. "Hey steady man. Does you knows I is a Hawka?"

"Oh. Really." I replied. "I presume that meansyou live in Whitehawk. Fine, but turn that row down please, because it's plain noise to an old git like me."

He now looks around, and sees that most of the top deck is looking at him. "Sorry mate," he now replies in Estuary English, "Fair cop."

I get off at the Junction, he stays on the bus to "The Hawk."

It's phone text speak that gets my goat though.

1066gull

I'm having a desire to live and work in America. I'm gonna see how the next 3 years for me goes.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I've noticed that a lot of people on tv say 'congradulations'
It's 'congraTulations.
:rant::rant::rant::rant:

That's just the CHAV youth of today whose parents really don't care!!

Working alongside Brighton council i sometimes have to go out to the social housing properties for one reason or another. The state of the properties and the way the children are just not looked after is beyond belief.

Remember the really bad house in the tele series "How clean is your house" Well seen 10 times worse than that! try £20,000 of taxpayers money just to clear the junk before the repairs could be done!!!!!!!!!! One i had to go to there was a child there who must have been 8 or 9 and he didn't even know his own name properly!!!

Some parents care and a lot don't, The ones that do their children will get a job and support the children of the ones that don't and will never be employable!!!!!!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I'm having a desire to live and work in America. I'm gonna see how the next 3 years for me goes.

I made the move to New York 6 months ago - and believe me mate, apart from friends, family and the Albion, there is bugger all I miss about the UK. If you are thinking about living / working in the States make the move - you will not regret it.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
What a bunch of whinging poms.

Get a grip, language develops all the time and moaning about different nations speaking duffrently (ha ha) is like trying to fight the tides

Find something worthwhile to moan about.

And for what it's worth, the English are welcomed with open arms to the US, shame the Brits feel the need to take the piss when Americans turn up in the uk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here