Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Friday grumble - "Americanisms"

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Shakespeare would consider Queen Elizabeth II's version of English to be incorrect - or 'corrupted'. *shrugs*

Shakespeare considered Queen Elizabeth I's version of English to be insufficient. That's why he 'corrupted' it himself by inventing new words left right and centre - over 1700, most of which we happily still use today...

Shakespeare's Influence

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But the language isn't evolving is it. It is getting corrupted.
Verily thou speakest the truth young Nibble, son of Nibble. But let not thy counternance by rendered glum by these occurences. Nay, I say unto thee that the 'corruption' that thou protesteth against is merely the trickle of sand through the hourglass of change. Settest not thyself against our goodly neighbours from across the ocean and the utterances they make, instead join me in dancing gaily round the maypole of scrumulousness.

Like, y'know, whatever.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Verily thou speakest the truth young Nibble, son of Nibble. But let not thy counternance by rendered glum by these occurences. Nay, I say unto thee that the 'corruption' that thou protesteth against is merely the trickle of sand through the hourglass of change. Settest not thyself against our goodly neighbours from across the ocean and the utterances they make, instead join me in dancing gaily round the maypole of scrumulousness.

Like, y'know, whatever.

Yes, thou doth partake in the most ample of agreement. However, indulge my most frivolous of follies whileth I enquire with abundant politeness, what news of our Lord Buckingham?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I had to explain to an american what a full stop was the other day, he couldn't quite grasp the fact that I hadn't used the word "period"

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, thou doth partake in the most ample of agreement. However, indulge my most frivolous of follies whileth I enquire with abundant politeness, what news of our Lord Buckingham?

Alas I fear my accquantance with the good Lord Bucklingham is not sufficient for him to disclose unto me his earthly whereabouts. However if perchance during my wanderings I should stumble across his august presence I will impart unto him your good wishes.

In the meantime I fear I must depart this thread, and so good Nibble may I wish you an extremely pleasant weekend. I remain your humble servant.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
I had to explain to an american what a full stop was the other day, he couldn't quite grasp the fact that I hadn't used the word "period"

Shouldn't there be a period at the end of that sentence?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This entire thread makes me proud to be English. Well, half-English ...

All languages evolve. Otherwise we'd all be speaking like 18th century sailors, much like the inhabitants of Pitcairn, aka Incest Island.

It's somewhat ineivitable (sp?) American culture will have an influence on our speak, their media is all around us.

The way I see it, we'll all be dead one day so we won't have to worry about it soon.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But EVERYONE in this thread uses Americanisms, such as:

as a language we like to adopt words and phrases from everywhere, so it doesn bother me if we adopt usfull american terms. what pisses me off is how they devalue words meaning though overuse or inappropriate use, and how their film and other media injects that into our culture as if it were ours. it was ok when we had a seperate identity but thats being eroded.

Shakespeare ... why he 'corrupted' it himself by inventing new words left right and centre

Well, there's a fair bit of debate there. He was the first to use a large number of words and phrases IN PRINT. We don't know if he just took common 'street' language and used it in his plays, or whether he made them up. Chances are the large majority weren't invented by him.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well, there's a fair bit of debate there. He was the first to use a large number of words and phrases IN PRINT. We don't know if he just took common 'street' language and used it in his plays, or whether he made them up. Chances are the large majority weren't invented by him.

i was thinking that when i read the link - how would people have known what he was on about if there were so many new, unheard of words?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003

Surely no one else could have come up with such gems as "Hey nonny nonny"?

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
But the language isn't evolving is it. It is getting corrupted.

Poppycock!

It must have evolved from cavemen grunting at each other so when did it peak and stop evolving....devolving, whate-vaaaaaa?

When was the English language at it's finest? Just before Friends started airing over here?

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
It annoys me soo much when people use 'like' every other word in a sentence!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here