Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Friday grumble - "Americanisms"

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've noticed a few more Americanisms (is that really a word?) creeping into NSC's lexicon - and thw wider world - more and more, recently.

Off season - Surely it's 'close season'. Where did the current fad for saying 'off-season' come from?

'Like', 'You Know', 'No WAY' etc. - Like, I suppose it must be great, you know, being an, like, an American teenager. It's way cool. :rolleyes:

'Can I GET a Ham Salad sandwich?' - For fucketty f*** sake... :rant:

Moan.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The main thing that annoys me? Is going up at the end of every sentence? Like it's a question?

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I agree with your first one as it is the "close season" and not the "off season"...Anyway in just over a week it will be become "pre-season".

As for "like" I have found that Mancs & Scousers have been using it at the end of their sentences for years, as in: "I am off down the pub, like"

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I agree with your first one as it is the "close season" and not the "off season"...Anyway in just over a week it will be become "pre-season".

As for "like" I have found that Mancs & Scousers have been using it at the end of their sentences for years, as in: "I am off down the pub, like"

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

One could argue that the 'Off Season' is the season - well it is for the hoolies anyhow.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA
Different usage.

'Like', in this context, seems to be a substitute for any verb - though usually for a conjugation of the verb 'to say'.

And she was, like, 'yeah', and I was, like, 'no way'... etc.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I've noticed a few more Americanisms (is that really a word?) creeping into NSC's lexicon - and thw wider world - more and more, recently.

Off season - Surely it's 'close season'. Where did the current fad for saying 'off-season' come from?

'Like', 'You Know', 'No WAY' etc. - Like, I suppose it must be great, you know, being an, like, an American teenager. It's way cool. :rolleyes:

'Can I GET a Ham Salad sandwich?' - For fucketty f*** sake... :rant:

Moan.

Pretty sure 'Close season is not am American expression, can't remember hearing it when I was there. 'Like' and 'You know' are most definitely not new, I remember footballers using those two at the end of sentence over thirty years ago. 'No way; and the word 'So' are though.

'Can I get' definately but the one I heard a lot was 'I need' when a simple 'please could I have' would have been more polite. Used quite shock a lot of Americans when I used the word 'Please' not to mention 'Thank you', mind you those two are getting rare here too. That is an Americanism.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Different usage.

'Like', in this context, seems to be a substitute for any verb - though usually for a conjugation of the verb 'to say'.

Is it any different to our over use of questioning a persons comment rather a statement of acceptance?

e.g. "I went to the cricket last night"

"Did you?"

"No I did not and am glad you challenged me as I generally lie to you!"

and what about the phrase 'turned around'

"So she turned around and told me to get lost"

Was the lady really standing with her back to you such that she needed to revolve 180 degrees before addressing you or is a queer phrase to use?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The one that really grates with me is use of the word "so" as a form of emphasis...such as: you are so going to get laid tonight,...what is wrong with using the word really?

I am guessing that this is a saying picked up from another one of those shite American sit-coms that seem to plague our television screens, people think it makes them look cool or clever by using them in their common parlance.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
'Can I get' definately but the one I heard a lot was 'I need' when a simple 'please could I have' would have been more polite. Used quite shock a lot of Americans when I used the word 'Please' not to mention 'Thank you', mind you those two are getting rare here too. That is an Americanism.
Now the English pedant in me would correct that to 'Please MAY I have'

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Is it any different to our over use of questioning a persons comment rather a statement of acceptance?

e.g. "I went to the cricket last night"

"Did you?"

"No I did not and am glad you challenged me as I generally lie to you!"

and what about the phrase 'turned around'

"So she turned around and told me to get lost"

Was the lady really standing with her back to you such that she needed to revolve 180 degrees before addressing you or is a queer phrase to use?
Fair enough, but it's not as bad the carelessness we seem to have in the UK.

For instance, there is the number of people - especially old friends - that we 'bumped into' recently'.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Personally, I hate it when people use "Z" (zee) in words like organize (organise), energize, organization ........

:rant:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"Can I get..." is f***ing toss.

"Can I get a large fries and six big macs with my peanut butter shake"

"I don't know. Can you? If not, you'd better f***ing ask me to do NICELY, and that means using the word 'PLEASE'"

However, the Australianism of turning every sentence into a question with an inflex in your voice at the end of the sentence is by far the worst thing to happen to the English language ever.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
"Can I get..." is f***ing toss.

"Can I get a large fries and six big macs with my peanut butter shake"

"I don't know. Can you? If not, you'd better f***ing ask me to do NICELY, and that means using the word 'PLEASE'"

However, the Australianism of turning every sentence into a question with an inflex in your voice at the end of the sentence is by far the worst thing to happen to the English language ever.

I thought you had given up that weekend job Simster?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Different usage.

Yeah right...... (does that count?)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I get very annoyed at the Yoof talking like 70 year old black men from Barbados when they come from some toss-hole like Croydon. Y'get me?

I also hate

Chav 1 - "I got arrested for robbing up Greggs"
Chav 2 - "Is it?"

What the f*** does that mean "is it"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here