Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fred The Argus Seller. RIP

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
burrish gull said:
Very sad news, he managed to get me and my dad a spare ticket for the last ever game at The Goldstone.....god bless you Fred I'll always remember the way you shouted to punters

'Argus, Football, Match or Shoot!!!!'

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Just reinterating what my brother is saying there.

( Although I'm sure it was "Argus, Football, Shoot or Match". )

Our family go to know him a bit outside of the Goldstone because he would routinely visitmy dad's stand at Heathfield Show - selling the Argus of course.

My dad got to know him originally just chatting at the football.

We would prepare his favourite sandwiches and in return we didn't pay for the paper at the footy for a few weeks after.

The argus should print a tribute.

Not being from Brighton (the other side of Sussex) I still associate the paper with Fred.

Fred was the Argus to me when I was a kid.

Last edited:

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
My Dad used to know him really well, especially chatting to him at the sussex cricket.
One brilliant story about him was when we saw him at Epsom on Derby day one year, we always go with about 15 of the family in a minibus and fred came round selling his argus as usual. We asked him if he had any tips for that day and he said he`d just been in the weighing room and spoken to a few of the jockeys and "Moccasin Run" was going to win the 2 yr old sprint race with Dettori up. The horse was trained by Ian Balding but hadnt run before so there was no form to go on but everyone on the Minibus was on it at around 9-2 and 5-1. It duly romped home to massive cheers! Great memories, dont seem to have characters like him around anymore! RIP Fred, from all my family.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here