Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fred The Argus Seller. RIP

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
That's real sad news, remember him from the glory days at the Goldstone.

Would of loved to have seen him do a one-off argus selling job at the opening game at Falmer.

RIP.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Yes, indeed, Fred is one of my first memories of the Goldstone, always shouting what sounded like, "Arguts" to me. I must admit that I bought it off him a few times when I hadn't intended to get a copy. He was also one of the fixtures at the County Ground, along with Keith (the disabled guy) selling his dodgy lottery tickets who I think is still there.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
West Hoathly Seagull said:
Yes, indeed, Fred is one of my first memories of the Goldstone, always shouting what sounded like, "Arguts" to me. I must admit that I bought it off him a few times when I hadn't intended to get a copy. He was also one of the fixtures at the County Ground, along with Keith (the disabled guy) selling his dodgy lottery tickets who I think is still there.

Keith still there. Saw him yesterday getting very confused by the new decking in the NW corner!

Last edited:

That is deperately sad.

He was a lovely chap and always ready to have a chat with you about the cricket or football (he had some choice stories of B****i)

Difficult to believe we won't see him strolling around the round, papers over one arm, his white coat and leather maeny bag festooned with entry badges......

A minute silence in tribute at withdeam is the least we can do for a man who touched all our lives.

Fred Oliver :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Shiver me bumcakes that's sad news. The white coat, the paperboy's bag, selling the Saturday Argus and copies of Shoot! back in the glory days.

RIP Fred, a Legend.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
The Oldman said:
Have emailed the News Editor asking if they would print a tribute.

To be absolutely frank it is disgusting they haven't done. Fred was part of the furniture at the Goldstone, the local racetracks, the County Ground and latterly Withdean. He was an extremely well loved local character.

I worked with Fred a couple of times when I was 15 selling papers at the racecourse and he was a lovely bloke.

I have not seen any coverage in the Argus and it is absolutely disgusting that a full and fitting tribute has not been made by the Argus. Lets hope the club pick up on it and have a tribute to him at the next game.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Agree there should be a piece in the programme and a tribute in the Argus.

He was a piece of Goldstone history.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
That is very sad news. The sound of his voice shouting out "arrrrggggggggggsssssss" is a childhood memory that is just so synonymous with my early Goldstone memories. Then seeing him at the end of the Imperial Arcade, or at the Cricket Ground, it was like a friendly old grandparent that I seemed to take with me everywhere, whether it be football, cricket or a trip to Gamleys.

RIP Fred.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He used to let me in the racecourse (for a £5) when he worked on the gate, God bless you Fred.:angel:

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Very sad news.
Along the same lines, does anyone know if Argus Bill is still around? He used to sell them at the dog track.

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
That's really sad news. His shouts of "Argus, Shoot or Match" are among my earliest memories of going to the Goldstone and were as much a part of the day as the visit to the sweet shop before the match and the walk from Hove station carrying a box to stand on to see over front wall.
As someone said earlier, he never seemed to age. Still looked the exact same as Withdean as he did 25 years ago.

RIP Fred.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
RIP
:bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here