Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fracking in Sussex? Fracking Firm Test Drilling in Balcombe

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
As an aside, I remember me and a couple of mates finding a stash of torn out page 3 stunners mid 80s in the woods around lower stumble where they're drilling. We never did find out whose they were but finders keepers as they say! There's more in those woods than just oil and gas!!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Nice to see the Police digging their knuckles into protesters faces in the Guardian coverage. The rozzers really do themselves no favours do they? Vile.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The Lloyds broker on the news yesterday, "I just made smoked salmon and scrambled egg for my wife and little boy and decided I had to do something". What a jebend.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The last protester I heard interviewed said in an american accent " This fracking site is only 2 fields away from the Ardin Lee reservoir" Sums it up really.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The last protester I heard interviewed said in an american accent " This fracking site is only 2 fields away from the Ardin Lee reservoir" Sums it up really.

yep. aside from the non-local, is the lack of knowledge. the reservior is about a mile away and collects surface water out of the Ouse, so not about to be contaiminated by a 2 mile deep drill.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
yep. aside from the non-local, is the lack of knowledge. the reservior is about a mile away and collects surface water out of the Ouse, so not about to be contaiminated by a 2 mile deep drill.

Well Depth.jpg

I think you will find that some wells are typically over 3 miles deep (e.g. a photo from one of my work projects on the North Sea Tartan Platform) still let's not facts get in the way of a good story eh?

Goat lung

Jan 27, 2013
we could try wave power/tidal power
plenty of sea and rivers out there

maybe King Canute had it right

actually Canute is spelled without the a and the e
but the bloody censor won't allow me to spell it that way because it looks and sounds naughty PHAAAAAAAAAA

Canute is spelled ****,

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I happen to have a little bit of insight into government policy due to my current job role, and there is no doubt that Fracking is going to occur all over the country.

DECC (Department of Energy and Climate Change) are wholesale behind supporting and pushing through fracking projects, and I have heard from people who work within DECC that "there is no way that Fracking will not be happening in the UK within the next 10 years".

All I hope is that the government at least puts a lot more restrictions on what can go into the fracking liquid, the disposal of the old fracking liquid and making sure that water sources are protected compared to what they have done in the USA.

Anybody who genuinely believes that you can pump super high pressure water (with added chemicals and sand) deep underground, fracture rock and the successfully extract gas and all of the fracking liquid with absolutely no environmental impact is a lunatic. If Fracking is going to happen, we just need to hope and pray that it is done as cleanly as possible. There will be some environmental disasters, this is inevitable. There will also be Fracking wells popping up all over our countryside, often in AONBs and National Parks, and I guess we just need to get used to that too.

We need energy. Gas = energy. Until the gas and oil properly runs out nobody is going to truly care about renewables.

If any of you care enough individually to want to do something, a simple thing is to buy your energy from a provider who only sources it in renewable ways. Good Energy are a green energy provider for example. You will pay more for it, but at least you are not individually contributing to the current unsustainable model.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

The Environment agency:“The Environment Agency would not allow hydraulic fracking to take place in an area where there are aquifers used to supply drinking water.

“If there were sensitive ground waters present in an area where a company wanted to carry out hydraulic fracturing, we would object during the company’s planning application and refuse to grant an environmental permit.”

Cameron yesterday: “There is no reason why fracking should cause contamination of water supplies or other environmental damage if properly regulated.”

Who do you trust? A regulated body trusted to look after the environment, or someone who's in it for the money? Ummm.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Environment agency:“The Environment Agency would not allow hydraulic fracking to take place in an area where there are aquifers used to supply drinking water.

“If there were sensitive ground waters present in an area where a company wanted to carry out hydraulic fracturing, we would object during the company’s planning application and refuse to grant an environmental permit.”

Cameron yesterday: “There is no reason why fracking should cause contamination of water supplies or other environmental damage if properly regulated.”

Who do you trust? A regulated body trusted to look after the environment, or someone who's in it for the money? Ummm.

Judging by his previous post I think I'll trust 00snook !

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
For Christ sake,most of the people who are getting over excited about fracking are the same people who rant about the cost of energy in this country.
Got to give fracking a go,it would be sheer lunacy not to explore the possibilities it offers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here