Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fracking in Sussex? Fracking Firm Test Drilling in Balcombe

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Nope - absolutely I agree with you. For once my post wasn't sarcasm - I actually do believe that wind farms look good.

Wind farms are beautiful, and most people are in agreement. Unfortunately as usual it's the minority that are hell bent on stopping them.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Re: fracking in sussex....

Work has now stopped on the Balcombe site as up to 1000 new protesters are expected to arrive this weekend. Sussex Police have advised Cuadra to stop activities due to the expected protests. A resident of Balcombe has said that locals are now tiring of the protests, and that the atmosphere is changing as the profile of the protestors changes. She requested that those continuing to protest do so within the law etc etc. Hats off to a sensible lady, but.......

What the f**k?

Our constabulary, paid for via our taxes, are effectively saying that rent-a-gob protesters can do what they want? Totally farcical!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Our constabulary, paid for via our taxes, are effectively saying that rent-a-gob protesters can do what they want? Totally farcical!

Damned if the do damned if they don't

Its time the decent tax paying community stood up and kicked these lazy work shy unwashed tax burdens out of this country

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Richard Ponsford, who owns Sidney Farm, said the activists came on his land without his permission......... they set up camp on his land, claim they represent the local and national opinion,... they are nothing but an anti-establishment rent a mob... I have said before, they are the same peop[le who campaign against wind power, tidal barrages, fossil fuel pollution, nuclear power and now fracking..... they have no answers.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Work has now stopped on the Balcombe site as up to 1000 new protesters are expected to arrive this weekend. Sussex Police have advised Cuadra to stop activities due to the expected protests. A resident of Balcombe has said that locals are now tiring of the protests, and that the atmosphere is changing as the profile of the protestors changes. She requested that those continuing to protest do so within the law etc etc. Hats off to a sensible lady, but.......

What the f**k?

That's my old friend Ali, she's lovely and a civil engineer by trade as is her husband so she knows a thing or two about construction and drilling. Been family friends for more than 40 years.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5889771 said:
I find it hard to imagine how anyone can support fracking. It's environmentally hazardous and uneconomical. :shrug:

Just as well they aren't and have no plans to frack in Sussex then.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5889857 said:
Hilarious! :clap2:

So you are one of the know nothings then?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5889960 said:
Well as you seem to be in the know, and I know nothing, can you please explain to me how fracking is cost effective, and also how introducing a cocktail of chemicals in to the earth and water supply is not harmful to the environment?

My point was that nobody is fracking in this country at present but nobody seems to be bothered to find this out. I'm not particularly for or against but I'm definitely against 1,000 job-shy rent a mob types invading my county and pretending to be backing the locals.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Re: fracking in sussex....

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5889771 said:
I find it hard to imagine how anyone can support fracking. It's uneconomical. :shrug:

Someone had better tell the Yanks, they have thousands of fracking rigs.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
My point was that nobody is fracking in this country at present but nobody seems to be bothered to find this out. I'm not particularly for or against but I'm definitely against 1,000 job-shy rent a mob types invading my county and pretending to be backing the locals.

Job shy? How do you know that?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος

I'm definitely against the rent a mob lot as I believe they actually do more harm to the anti fracking movement in the UK than good. But I know plenty of good people from all over Sussex who are concerned by fracking in the area.

They are obviously drilling an exploratory well at the moment, but this will perhaps lead the way to a series of fracking sites across Sussex and other parts of the UK.

In my opinion everything should be done to prevent fracking as it is PROVEN to contaminate water. The only people who ignore this is the Governments involved, and of course the drilling companies.

The companies will make a big buck, but the governments are being blinded by false hope. For example, the Marcellus Shale (the largest resource of shale gas in the US) was touted as being able to supply enough energy to supply the US for 17 years. However this has now been to revised to just 6 years supply - hardly solving the governments energy conundrum but still enough to make a few men very, very rich, and the surrounding areas very, very contaminated. For example, around the Marcellus Shale in the Pennsylvania they have found amounts of Radium in the water supply that are 1500 times higher than the federal limit. I could go on and on, in fact I'd be suprised if anyone's read this much :lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5890035 said:
In my opinion everything should be done to prevent fracking as it is PROVEN to contaminate water.

due to poor practice, not the process itself. in your opinion should everthing be done to prevent coal, oil, gas exploration, solar panels and wind turbine manufacturing as they are proven to contaminate water?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Poor practice or unpredictability of what lies beneath?

the commonly reported accounts of leaks into drinking water in Pennsylvania were due to drill casing or simply not deep enough to avoid water aquafers. generally they know pretty well whats down there to know where to drill. fracking is carried out 2-3 miles down, aquafers a few hundred meters down, with solid rock inbetween.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Went up to the protest site today, what a fracking mess, just a load of stinky smelly hippies protesting for the sake of it.
Whilst chatting to the police, most of them just tour round eg Dale Farm, Hastings by-pass etc not there for the real reason....anti fracking.
They seem intent on making it difficult for the police by constantly winding them up, when lets be honest the police are only doing their job, they don't want to be there guarding a track to a field.
If it does kick off I might go back up and give the Bobbies a hand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here