Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fracking in Sussex? Fracking Firm Test Drilling in Balcombe

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
70% of villagers didn't bother to vote.

And a majority of people didn't vote in the referendum on Falmer but as far as I'm aware that didn't make the result invalid.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Those figures are false. 70% of villagers didn't bother to vote. I know a lot more about this than you sir so perhaps you could use real facts.

Real facts? Ha. You're just repeating what the int£r£sted parti£s are saying.

You are clearly of a sound and decisive mind.

I'm all for it. We need all the energy we can get. People will complain if they have no electricity in a coming bad winter.

I'm not particularly for or against

We don't have any other evidence, one way of another suggesting Balcombe residents are there or not, apart from 82% of those that bothered to respond to the flyers were opposed. You are using your pre-conceived judgement that it is just '1000s of job shy' people coming in.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
And a majority of people didn't vote in the referendum on Falmer but as far as I'm aware that didn't make the result invalid.

Quite right but BOF said that eighty odd per cent of villagers were against it, when they weren't.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Have you even been to Balcombe BOF?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ten pages without anyone being able to prove the benefits one way or the other. And neither can I. Fracking may indeed be very dangerous. It may be totally risk free. Or mostly harmless but unsightly and with a chance of accidents. Like, say, coal mining. The point is none of you know. Neither will you while this remains ideological. Green and Labour versus Tories. Sitting Bull and Swampy versus the police. Ideology led hysteria versus ideology led hysteria. The winner gets a general election.

All the time we continue like this we risk worse energy policy not better. The chances are that in the future we will need some (but less) fosil fuel, ~(some obtained by fracking) and some (but more) renewable energy (some abtained by unsightly wind farms) or people will die, pure and simple. The zealots on both sides are the ones causing future misery.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Have you even been to Balcombe BOF?

DD im not sure where you are heading but why would anyone want fracking in their local community given that there are so many unanswered questions environmentally. And don't try and fog the issue by saying its just about oil exploration, it fracking.

image_update_6344c949a3574f63_1376905103_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

Also i applaud Brighton MP Caroline Lucas on her arrest, the laws an arse.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Nice one, Lucas.

“Along with everyone else who took action today, I’m trying to stop a process which could cause enormous damage for decades to come. The evidence is clear that fracking undermines efforts to tackle the climate crisis and poses potential risks to the local environment.

“People today, myself included, took peaceful non-violent direct action only after exhausting every other means of protest available to us. I’m in the privileged position of being able to put questions to the Government directly and arrange debates in Parliament, but still ministers have refused to listen.

“Despite the opposition to fracking being abundantly clear, the Government has completely ignored the views of those they are supposed to represent. When the democratic deficit is so enormous, people are left with very little option but to take peaceful, non-violent direct action.”

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If you say so. I'm just amazed that one wouldn't believe that there is every possibility that a great tree with grow from a small acorn.

Shocking English there sir. Still it makes as much sense as most of the stuff you've put on here. Catch you later, after you've done your homework.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Shocking English there sir. Still it makes as much sense as most of the stuff you've put on here. Catch you later, after you've done your homework.

If you can't understand what I meant, then so be it. I'm not going to debate/argue with you (an ignoramus) any further. Good day to you.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
fracking in sussex....

Ten pages without anyone being able to prove the benefits one way or the other. And neither can I. Fracking may indeed be very dangerous. It may be totally risk free. Or mostly harmless but unsightly and with a chance of accidents. Like, say, coal mining. The point is none of you know. Neither will you while this remains ideological. Green and Labour versus Tories. Sitting Bull and Swampy versus the police. Ideology led hysteria versus ideology led hysteria. The winner gets a general election.

All the time we continue like this we risk worse energy policy not better. The chances are that in the future we will need some (but less) fosil fuel, ~(some obtained by fracking) and some (but more) renewable energy (some abtained by unsightly wind farms) or people will die, pure and simple. The zealots on both sides are the ones causing future misery.

The facts do prove that there are levels of radium and uranium that are up to 1500 times the safe limit in the vicinity of franking sites. The further from the sampled well you go, the less of these substances were found in harmful quantities.

I don't fancy having radioactive water in Sussex for the next few hundered years just so we can provide energy for half a dozen.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It depresses me that this whole circus has descended into a witch trial.
It would be nice if
Caroline Lucas could avoid hysterical tactics.
Labour could have an energy policy that actually talked about generation rather than limiting profits on distribution.
The government didn't think it could buy off opposition in the south by promising more community money.

It is just too easy to be anti these days and just pretend that affordable energy is someone else's problem. We need a combination of cheap domestic gas, onshore wind farms and nuclear power to see us safely through the next 25-30 years and no amount of hand wringing and pseudo science will fix this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here