Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fracking in Sussex? Fracking Firm Test Drilling in Balcombe

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ah well, goodbye to the beautiful countryside of Balcombe. Lets hope the earthquakes don't affect the viaduct too much. Bottled water for all.

I'd be more worried about the Balcombe tunnel. If that ever caves in, its going to be replacement bus services forevermore with entire counties snookered getting-to-work-wise.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'd be more worried about the Balcombe tunnel. If that ever caves in, its going to be replacement bus services forevermore with entire counties snookered getting-to-work-wise.

that depends, many in the the county could retrain to roles in the oil and gas industry. isnt that we all want, local manufacturing jobs? they need lots of project managers, Analysts, Supervisor Offiers, admins and whatnot too. winner :cheers:

that depends, many in the the county could retrain to roles in the oil and gas industry. isnt that we all want, local manufacturing jobs? they need lots of project managers, Analysts, Supervisor Offiers, admins and whatnot too. winner :cheers:

May apply for Supervisor Offier myself "You go off there, you go off down there, you boy, before you can eat your pudding you go off there"

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Ah well, goodbye to the beautiful countryside of Balcombe. Lets hope the earthquakes don't affect the viaduct too much. Bottled water for all.

And if you voted Tory, you asked for it.

i think you left out Pedophiles as a possible cause/effect

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Ah, poor babies. Are those nasty policemen being too rough?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I see our friend Marina Pepper turned up and of all the 12 that were arrested not one was from Sussex. Just a few of the usual jobless rent-a-mob.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
It's quite easy to check arrest figures.

There were presumably other people present who were not arrested though. The ones that were arrested would be the 'professional' protesters, i.e. the ones that are not particularly concerned with the cause, but just want a day out to challenge authority and to cause trouble. What I have seen of the news coverage, a good number of people were there at the scene who were local to the area, but of course their presence will be focused on less than the ones causing trouble.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The NiMBY's have just been duffed up, on 5-live, by the Chief Exec.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation about.

NiMBY was asked 'so no to fracking would you be happy with wind turbines on the land'.
Absolute silent, followed by guff, then eventually big society talk.

Its a shame the follow up question to her reply 'people should be responsible for their own energy'.

'What if Balcombe is Fracking central and all of Balcombe's residents could earn a decent wage from it?'
Would you still be protesting?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Re: fracking in sussex....

NiMBY was asked 'so no to fracking would you be happy with wind turbines on the land'.

Its a shame the follow up question to her reply 'people should be responsible for their own energy'.

'What if Balcombe is Fracking central and all of Balcombe's residents could earn a decent wage from it?'

Back to the caves!

Luddites are the new elite!

Lamb shankers the lot of 'em.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Here's a great video about this:

you have to laugh at those sorts of videos. is there an app that makes them, picks some dramatic music and sets your text amongst some unrelated clip art? i particularly liked the random dead cow and the sink hole in the middle of a non-discript town. on that, thats a new one, not read of sink holes relating to fracking before. typical to form, nimby's claims are exgerrated and then embelished with false claims.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

listen here:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01dhyjl

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Having read the article it seems a most sensible way of getting rid of a potential hazard while generating energy.

I love the ignorance of the local MP - "If the noise levels and possible smell from the methane are an issue we shouldn't allow it"

Anyone who has worked in Gas Power generation knows that we have very effective technology to silence Gas Turbines and methane is, er, odourless! :facepalm:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I'm from the village man and boy so ive been following this story for a few years now. Parents live there and I know many local people simply aren't opposed to it, recognising its only exploratory at this stage (for oil, not gas no licence for fracking even been made yet!) and the need for energy means sacrifices. But at this stage its simply a hole being drilled, the same as in the mid 80s which nobody complained about back then i seem to recall!! Most of the protesters are professional, from South Wales and so forth, and the locals are highly bemused by all the attention and more concerned that the protesters are now costing them in terms of increased rates for policing; or house prices falling. In fact main concern is the protesters are going to stay long term.l As one person said, once bianca jagger arrived you've lost all credibility! I can see their point. And not a little similarity with our own battle to build the Amex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here