Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fracking in Sussex? Fracking Firm Test Drilling in Balcombe

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
We will never solve the energy problems, or the food problems, or the emission problems until we solve the biggest problem of all and that is the population problem.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
It still amazes me how many houses and buildings are lit with filament lights. Energy saving lights and now led bulbs make a huge difference to power consumption. I worked out the other day my house is now lit with less than 100W of energy for an investment of about £100 of long life LED bulbs. My parents kitchen and bathroom alone was 250W, the whole house probably >400W. The first target should be to get LED lighting affordable and installed wherever possible in homes and offices.

The majority of my house is lit with filament bulbs and will be for a very long time as I have stock piled them :thumbsup:
Dont mind the led's but can't stand the white energy saving ones, horrible light.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
The majority of my house is lit with filament bulbs and will be for a very long time as I have stock piled them :thumbsup:
Dont mind the led's but can't stand the white energy saving ones, horrible light.

crack open (smash) an energy save bulb - you'll probably get ill....so toxic......an epileptic has a bad turn around these too.

saving a few watts at home is not the problem - its the mega corps.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The coalition may be promoting the controversial practice of fracking for gas because senior figures from that industry sit in the heart of Government, campaigners have warned.

The former BP boss Lord Browne, Centrica chief executive Sam Laidlaw and BG Group director Baroness Hogg have all been accused of the potential for conflicts of interest, as they hold senior advisory roles at a time when the Government is heavily promoting fracking. This involves fracturing tightly packed shale rock with a high-pressure water and chemical mixture to release oil and gas.

Cuadrilla, which is chaired by Lord Browne, is searching for shale gas in Lancashire, but suspended operations there in 2011 after its drilling was found to be the likely cause of tremors in Blackpool.

The Government has signed up to the potential of shale gas after it transformed energy policy in the United States, despite severe criticism from environmentalists.

Last month, George Osborne spoke of "tax and planning changes which will put Britain at the forefront of exploiting shale gas". A recent report by the British Geological Survey found that the UK could have trillions of cubic feet of the gas in the North-west alone, but critics argue that it would be difficult to extract from deep beneath the ground even with modern drilling techniques.

Anti-fracking campaigners and industry insiders are concerned that major energy-sector figures have roles that gives them access to ministers in Whitehall. Among those said to be worried is a top executive at EDF, who believes that the Government's new-found commitment to shale has ended up hurting the French group's negotiations over building a nuclear power plant at Hinkley Point in Somerset.

There are more than 60 "non-executives" (Neds) who sit across Whitehall departments, largely drawn from Britain's most impressive corporate talent. Their job is to help ministries be run in a more business-like manner, and Lord Browne is the overall lead for this group.

Lord Browne sits within the Cabinet Office. The Cabinet Office minister Francis Maude's constituency includes Balcombe in West Sussex, another area where Cuadrilla is drilling. On his website, Mr Maude acknowledges that fracking "understandably rang alarm bells" after the tremors in Lancashire, but argues that "shale gas could help significantly by contributing both to improving our security and independence and to keeping prices down".

Mr Laidlaw has been the lead non-executive at the Department for Transport. Centrica, which owns British Gas, recently bought a one-quarter stake in Cuadrilla's most promising licence, which is the one in Lancashire.

Baroness Hogg sits in the Treasury, but she is also a non-executive director at BG Group, which has extensive shale gas interests in the US. There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing by any of these advisers.

Elsie Walker, a campaigner with the anti-fracking group Frack Off, said it is easy to argue that there is a "line blurred between the shale-gas lobby and Government". She added that the Government is "littered" with people who have current or recent ties to the fracking industry.

Ms Walker argued: "It doesn't take a genius or a cynic to realise that those who stand to make a serious amount of money from the success of a particular industry should be nowhere near those who will be making decisions that will influence the future health of that industry."

A government spokesman said: "All non-executive directors declare their interests to their departments to ensure there is no conflict of interest, and departments will make the necessary arrangements to manage any potential conflicts in the normal way. None of the Neds named sit on the board of the Department of Energy and Climate Change and therefore there is no conflict of interest."

Conflicts of interest?

Lord Browne

The former BP boss is chairman of Cuadrilla, which is exploring for shale gas in Lancashire and West Sussex. He is lead "non-executive" across Government, meaning that he helps recruit other non-executives to Whitehall.

Baroness Hogg

The non-executive for the Treasury sits on the board of BG Group, which has significant shale gas assets in the United States.

Sam Laidlaw

The non-executive to the Transport Department is also chief executive of British Gas owner Centrica, which recently bought a 25 per cent stake in Cuadrilla's most promising shale gas prospect.

Ben Moxham

A former executive at BP when Lord Browne was at the helm, he followed the peer to Riverstone Holdings, which owns 42 per cent of Cuadrilla. Moxham was energy adviser at No 10 but quit in May.

Lord Howell

George Osborne's father-in-law is also president of the British Institute of Economics, whose backers include BP and BG Group.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/revealed-fracking-industry-bosses-at-heart-of-coalition-8707589.html

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Here is an online petition to stop the application for fracking in Sussex.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Stop_the_poisoning_of_the_entire_Sussex_water_supply/?fMkNrbb

Why this is important
In less than two weeks Cuadrilla, a company involved in the controversial act of fracking, will be granted a licence to dispose of millions of gallons of toxic and radioactive waste from a drill site in Balcombe, somewhere in Sussex. The environment agency has requested concerns be raised by the 16/07/13 otherwise this proposal will be granted.

Fracking has been described by an eminent scientist as the most effective way to poison a population through it's water supply. Among the risks are:

Millions of gallons of fracking fluid, pumped into the ground, containing over 600 chemicals:
25% of which are linked with cancer and mutations
37% affect hormones
40-50% affect kidneys and nervous, immune and cardiovascular systems
75% affect respiratory and gastrointestinal systems and sensory organs

Toxic, radioactive wastewater is stored in open pits and sprayed to evaporate quickly before being trucked away. This process releases lethal radon into the air which carries for miles.
60% of wells leak
Toxic fluids seeping through natural fractures can reach drinking water aquifers in as little as 3 years
30-70% of fracking fluid is not recovered and stays in the ground

Cuadrilla has licence to drill 1,200 of these wells across the Sussex Downs, not to mention the numerous substations and mile upon mile of pipeline. This is nothing short of the wholesale industrialisation of the Sussex countryside along with the irreversible pollution of our drinking water.

Please help stop this from happening by taking 2 minutes to sign this petition to the environment Agency before the closing date of the 16th of July. Every single person makes a difference and with your help we can protect our home for ourselves and future generations from the threat of greedy corporations whose only concerns are increased profits. Thank you.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Here is an online petition to stop the application for fracking in Sussex.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Stop_the_poisoning_of_the_entire_Sussex_water_supply/?fMkNrbb

Why this is important
In less than two weeks Cuadrilla, a company involved in the controversial act of fracking, will be granted a licence to dispose of millions of gallons of toxic and radioactive waste from a drill site in Balcombe, somewhere in Sussex. The environment agency has requested concerns be raised by the 16/07/13 otherwise this proposal will be granted.

Fracking has been described by an eminent scientist as the most effective way to poison a population through it's water supply. Among the risks are:

Millions of gallons of fracking fluid, pumped into the ground, containing over 600 chemicals:
25% of which are linked with cancer and mutations
37% affect hormones
40-50% affect kidneys and nervous, immune and cardiovascular systems
75% affect respiratory and gastrointestinal systems and sensory organs

Toxic, radioactive wastewater is stored in open pits and sprayed to evaporate quickly before being trucked away. This process releases lethal radon into the air which carries for miles.
60% of wells leak
Toxic fluids seeping through natural fractures can reach drinking water aquifers in as little as 3 years
30-70% of fracking fluid is not recovered and stays in the ground

Cuadrilla has licence to drill 1,200 of these wells across the Sussex Downs, not to mention the numerous substations and mile upon mile of pipeline. This is nothing short of the wholesale industrialisation of the Sussex countryside along with the irreversible pollution of our drinking water.

Please help stop this from happening by taking 2 minutes to sign this petition to the environment Agency before the closing date of the 16th of July. Every single person makes a difference and with your help we can protect our home for ourselves and future generations from the threat of greedy corporations whose only concerns are increased profits. Thank you.

That was Hybrid_x open gambit and it's been dismissed as scaremongering.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
There were people on the Southern news yesterday getting angry because some farmers want to put some solar panels in their fields. Nimbyism is getting out of hand lately.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Allow wind farms and solar farms and large green houses to grow local food and stop stopping things that will help save the planet. I agree with dougdeep!

There are methods now for growing veggies and fruit with little water. Which leads me to another concern, Sussex is water constrained and it is not going to be helping much using millions of gallons that could be used for drinking.

When Easter Islanders tried to allay fears of scaremongering as they chopped down the trees......
Ditto Mayans with their monoculture on maize.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
This is bad news for Sussex if fracking goes ahead at Balcombe and if they find gas then there will be wells all over mid Sussex within a few years.
To the person saying you can't see the site from the train, you might be able to once a 30ft flare is burning! As a commuter to London I'm not sure that doing something which caused tremors in Blackpool less than a quarter of a mile from a Victorian railway viaduct is a great idea either....

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
This is bad news for Sussex if fracking goes ahead at Balcombe and if they find gas then there will be wells all over mid Sussex within a few years.

I hope so. Then perhaps we won't run out of fuel in the coming winters.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Do you? In that case then you really should go out and experience more of the world.

Not sure I understand this reply, what does my experience of the world have to do with anything?

I do hope that the information is just scaremongering because if it is not and it is accurate then things could be very bad for Sussex and other places they are trying to introduce fracking.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I remember hearing from a former miner, who is now a expert on energy issues. I cannot remember his name, but he was quite insistent that there was clean gas, which could used in turbines next to the old colliery sites for our energy requirements.

I personally like the idea of everyone attempting to make their own power, or attempting to put a little into the grid via small wind turbines, etc.

I proposed an idea to Southern Water some time ago, that they should have hydro electric generators on the feeds in and out of the drop tanks, in the Southeast. Their reply was it was not economically viable.

Recipe for Fracking Curry

5 Garlic cloves
10 Naga Jolokia chilli peppers
Hydrochloric acid to garnish
20 gallons of water

Method
Use bowl and mix together using sledge hammer, leave in fridge until side of the bowl has melted after 5 mins. Transfer to ultra steel casing bowl. Put mixture into blender and mix with methyl bromide. Put remainder in sink and let toxic waste fester until someone notices washing up needs doing.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Ah well, goodbye to the beautiful countryside of Balcombe. Lets hope the earthquakes don't affect the viaduct too much. Bottled water for all.

And if you voted Tory, you asked for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here