Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fracking in Sussex? Fracking Firm Test Drilling in Balcombe

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I think that this time and money would be better spent investing in technology to make clean and sustainable energy more viable. .
Those of us of a less militant but more open minded on here, will read that and wholeheartedly agree. Nuclear power is the only way forward, its clean, safe and economically the only solution. We should really stop pfaffing about with these outdated modes of power generation. Sadly those same protestors seen in Balcombe, will almost certainly object to that method of generation too.... I have said before, they have no answers.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Those of us of a less militant but more open minded on here, will read that and wholeheartedly agree. Nuclear power is the only way forward, its clean, safe and economically the only solution. We should really stop pfaffing about with these outdated modes of power generation.

What do we do with the nuclear waste that is produced?

This is the big question about nuclear for me.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Nuclear-Fuel-Cycle/Nuclear-Wastes/Waste-Management-Overview/#.UhRtcH-rRQU

Last edited:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
What do we do with the nuclear waste that is produced?

This is the big question about nuclear for me.
We recycle it, store it, process it, reprocess it...... as said many times before, the technology now is so safe and clean ( and getting better by the year) that it is, and will be the only viable option. You cannot object simply because it has a by-product,..... every method of generation barring maybe soloar power, has a by-product, its how that is managed that is the key. I am afraid the nay-sayers are simply denying the obvious, oil and gas WILL run out, 50-100 years it will become so expensive to extract what is left as to make it a less that attractive proposition, and energy companies are not a charity are they?

Some tidal and wind projects will emerge, but that will amount to maybe 5% of the worlds needs, everyone will look to nuclear, as France are now doing. France, in 30 years, will probably be the major force in generation in western Europe, and thus will hold all the bargaining chips when it comes to costs to you and me. We need to take our heads out of the sand and allow new nuclear generation to happen now, else we will be just a customer, begging and borrowing our power from uncle tom cobbly and all, each one of which could turn off the tap at a whim.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We recycle it, store it, process it, reprocess it...... as said many times before, the technology now is so safe and clean ( and getting better by the year) that it is, and will be the only viable option. You cannot object simply because it has a by-product,..... every method of generation barring maybe soloar power, has a by-product, its how that is managed that is the key. I am afraid the nay-sayers are simply denying the obvious, oil and gas WILL run out, 50-100 years it will become so expensive to extract what is left as to make it a less that attractive proposition, and energy companies are not a charity are they?

Some tidal and wind projects will emerge, but that will amount to maybe 5% of the worlds needs, everyone will look to nuclear, as France are now doing. France, in 30 years, will probably be the major force in generation in western Europe, and thus will hold all the bargaining chips when it comes to costs to you and me. We need to take our heads out of the sand and allow new nuclear generation to happen now, else we will be just a customer, begging and borrowing our power from uncle tom cobbly and all, each one of which could turn off the tap at a whim.

As more and more countries begin to rely on Nuclear then more and more waste will be produced and it will become harder to deal with and harder to dissipate. I agree that all option will have a by product, my worry about nuclear is that the by product from nuclear power is radio active and any accidents could be very dangerous.

you seem very informed on nuclear power, do you have any links that provide evidence that the safety of nuclear waste is not a concern?

Personally I think that it is worth pursuing other avenues of power. the sun produces far more energy that we can use, we just need to improve our science and collect it from source.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
. as said many times before, the technology now is so safe and clean .

Try telling this to someone in north Japan literally right now.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Good article,... this echos more or less my comments,..... pitched at the layman's level it should help educate those who block out nuclear through ignorance of the facts.

Hardly independent though is it?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
do you have any links that provide evidence that the safety of nuclear waste is not a concern?

the sun produces far more energy that we can use, we just need to improve our science and collect it from source.
1) There are many online, just google. 2) Sadly, solar is not viable in large parts of the world such as northern Europe, like wind can be seasonal, the sun often doesn't shine here for months at a time. Transport of power generated in for example the sahara to us here in Britain just wouldn't be an option, distance degrades the power to unusable levels. They have started looking at power stations in high orbit, as a theory, but they are already pondering the main obstacles to that, firstly how it would get transported to the surface, and secondly how they can clear the massive satellite debris already in orbit that would be a real danger to any power generator infrastructure also in orbit.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
1) There are many online, just google. 2) Sadly, solar is not viable in large parts of the world such as northern Europe, like wind can be seasonal, the sun often doesn't shine here for months at a time. Transport of power generated in for example the sahara to us here in Britain just wouldn't be an option, distance degrades the power to unusable levels. They have started looking at power stations in high orbit, as a theory, but they are already pondering the main obstacles to that, firstly how it would get transported to the surface, and secondly how they can clear the massive satellite debris already in orbit that would be a real danger to any power generator infrastructure also in orbit.

These are all problems which can and will be solved.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
These are all problems which can and will be solved.
Perhaps,... and I am sure you are equally as confident that the nuclear questions will be resolved too, those are actually happening, not theoretical and possibly centuries away.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Perhaps,... and I am sure you are equally as confident that the nuclear questions will be resolved too, those are actually happening, not theoretical and possibly centuries away.

No I am not confident that the nuclear questions will be resolved I think they will be brushed under the carpet (or the seas bed) to reappear as a disaster for future generations (let's face it we have a fine track record of this).

My main concern is that generating more and more radioactive waste and dumping it around the globe is an environmental disaster waiting to happen. I haven't really seen anything that has changed my mind about this.

Quality renewable and clean technology is also happening now and the technology is coming on in leaps and bounds (Although more investment could be made to push it along further of course).

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Try telling this to someone in north Japan literally right now.
Well of course, building them on and in known earthquake zones is asking for trouble, but who can legislate for a Tsunami?.... don't forget, 20k were killed by the waves, not nuclear issues.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Well of course, building them on and in known earthquake zones is asking for trouble, but who can legislate for a Tsunami?.... don't forget, 20k were killed by the waves, not nuclear issues.

don't forget, they're still lying about the leaking at the moment and still haven't sorted the mess.

Also thanks to the wonders of fracking anywhere in the world can now be an earthquake zone

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here