Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fracking in Sussex? Fracking Firm Test Drilling in Balcombe

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It would be great if energy could all come from the renewal sector, but even in Germany, where they have gone for wind energy in a big way, they seem to be recognising its limitations now.

http://thebreakthrough.org/index.php/programs/energy-and-climate/germanys-green-energy-bust/

"But statistics on Germany’s electricity sector for the whole of 2012 are now in, and when you look beyond the cherry-picked hype, the results are dismal and disquieting. Despite massive construction of new capacity, electricity output from renewables, especially from wind and solar, grew at a sluggish rate. Germany is indeed avoiding blackouts—by opening new coal- and gas-fired plants. Renewable electricity is proving so unreliable and chaotic that it is starting to undermine the stability of the European grid and provoke international incidents. The spiraling cost of the renewables surge has sparked a backlash, including government proposals to slash subsidies and deployment rates. Worst of all, the Energiewende made no progress at all in clearing the German grid of fossil fuels or abating greenhouse emissions—nor is it likely to for at least a decade longer."

The other point to make here is that it is not cottage industries profiting from renewables, but our friends big business once again. Evil or not it requires serious investment to make renewables more efficient. It will come, but we still have a long way to go.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Can someone change the title of this thread to "Not Fracking in Sussex"? Thank you.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's entirely relevant. If there was a group of eminent Geology scientists picketing Balcombe and presenting empirical data to the cameras I'd probably be up there with them. The fact that it's the same old rent a mob with an agenda and a love of a good fight with the Old Bill, and that they organise using technology produced by vast corporations with terrible carbon footprints, suggests to me there might just be something in this fracking thing. It's you that needs to open your mind, not me.

Your posts are based on wild generalisations, stereotypes and your own discrimination. You seem to have based your opinion on fracking on your pereption of the people who are protesting.

It's entirely relevant. If there was a group of eminent Geology scientists picketing Balcombe and presenting empirical data to the cameras I'd probably be up there with them. The fact that it's the same old rent a mob with an agenda and a love of a good fight with the Old Bill, and that they organise using technology produced by vast corporations with terrible carbon footprints, suggests to me there might just be something in this fracking thing. It's you that needs to open your mind, not me.

Am struggling to come to terms with such circumlocutory logic. Perhaps I need more Guinness, much as I am partial too.

Sooner people realise that fracking is the result of the last throw of the dice for the American Dream the better. The technology was conceived years ago and is environmentally destructive. It will leave ruined landscapes looking like the Caspian Sea. If you want that for beautiful leafy Sussex, then it is going to result in tragedy. It represents the last saloon of an Oil Age in trouble. With Ghawar, North Sea et al being on its last legs, demand destruction and economic implosion (which is all too evident) affecting us all, fracking is the dregs. That people somehow think it is the answer, is a consequence of delusion, a tragedy of the commons.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Your posts are based on wild generalisations, stereotypes and your own discrimination. You seem to have based your opinion on fracking on your pereption of the people who are protesting.

Actually that's almost it. Almost but not quite. What I have said on other posts not related to Caroline Lucas is that I am not able to form an opinion on the usefulness of fracking or otherwise in the UK based on the very limited and contradictory data available. Neither are you. Neither are Cameron and Osborne. Neither is Caroline Lucas. What is actually needed IS proper testing and analysis thereof. There are two main blockers to this. Firstly the tax cuts the Tories offered designed to attract companies with pound signs in their eyes that would likely blur the results. Secondly a group of professional anarchists who are told what to do and think not by science but by their own far left propaganda machine.

Saying no to fracking in the UK without even trying it is luddite. But as the link I also posted suggests I know it's not the full answer, it simply needs to be available as part of a balance energy policy if proved safe.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
My simple mind says Greenpeace on side of planet, Government on side of their mates in big business. Government need to persuade me Greenpeace are wrong (as I'm naturally on the Planet's side). Government, to date, has failed to convince me. Many thanks to Lucas, the crusties and rent -a-mob who are protesting when I can't be arsed.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
We need our own fuel supply, and nothing else matters.

Anyone who tried to disrupt the trials should be locked-up - after getting a pasting by the old bill. ****ing swampies.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
£750,000 and counting is added to the Sussex police bill. Are you all willing to pay more council tax?

Jan 30, 2008
lucas and the lot of them can PISS OFF , have any of these clowns got a full time job??? ,usual suspects on show BANGING DRUMS AND DANCING AROUND LOOKING LIKE A LOAD OF SCRUFF BAGS :wanker:
regards
DR

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
lucas and the lot of them can PISS OFF , have any of these clowns got a full time job??? ,usual suspects on show BANGING DRUMS AND DANCING AROUND LOOKING LIKE A LOAD OF SCRUFF BAGS :wanker:
regards
DR

Good point, I have always wondered what Caroline Lucas MP does for a job?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My simple mind says Greenpeace on side of planet, Government on side of their mates in big business. Government need to persuade me Greenpeace are wrong (as I'm naturally on the Planet's side). Government, to date, has failed to convince me. Many thanks to Lucas, the crusties and rent -a-mob who are protesting when I can't be arsed.

A post which proves that it's not difficult to sum up a logiclal and obvious point of view succinctly.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
lucas and the lot of them can PISS OFF , have any of these clowns got a full time job??? ,usual suspects on show BANGING DRUMS AND DANCING AROUND LOOKING LIKE A LOAD SCRUFF BAGS :wanker:
regards
DR

I actually agree with the fairy on this one. They are protesting against Fracking - used for extracting gas, yet there is no fracking taking place at Balcombe, simply exploratory work for oil. There is a site in Nottinghamshire which has been fracking for gas since 1963 - why arent they protesting there ? They also say how it causes Earthquakes, referring to the incidents near Blackpool on the Fylde Coast where there is 3 sites marked for fracking - again there are no protests here despite it being such a key thing they are protesting against.

Protesting against fracking at a place where it isnt actually happening, but nothing taking place at sites where it actually is ? They are pretty pathetic !!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If this work had been done 6 months later I bet there'd be very few protesters. At the moment it's just a bit of fun in the sun.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My simple mind says Greenpeace on side of planet, Government on side of their mates in big business. Government need to persuade me Greenpeace are wrong (as I'm naturally on the Planet's side).

Greenpeace are on the side of Greenpeace. Oxfam are on the side of Oxfam. The ultimate aim of any charity or pressure group should be to success itself out of existence yet there's not one that's ever managed it.

Fancy earning 47K - 62K Euros a year doing something with a very corporate job description? Apply here. for a role with Greenpeace

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here