Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FPC Snipers Are Off Again?!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The Steward wanted to know why people are negative. I suggested it was maybe because they actually cared and are fed up with waiting.

Many fans who possibly didn't care as much have now deserted the club, probably never to return. Most have gone because of the difficulty getting tickets for Withdean. Falmer looks to be going along the same lines.

I do think there is a lot of truth in what you say.

Also there is the factor of learning from mistakes. If in the past more questions had been asked of the club, then maybe would not be in as much of a mess as we have been post 1997.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It was asking quetions of the club which enabled us to still have a club.

Scrutiny is HEALTHY.

And Timbo is talking a lot sense. Lots of people, some of my friends included, just can't be bothered with Brighton anymore. They watch local football or play themselves.

You won't win them back - Falmer or no Falmer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree. AONB should be difficult to build on.

Surely the club realised this though before they set out with Falmer as the only site and no plan B.

I'm sure the club would have preferred a more straightforward site themselves, but as the 2nd Public Inquiry proved, despite being AONB, Falmer was still the only really viable site for this stadium.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Steward wanted to know why people are negative. I suggested it was maybe because they actually cared and are fed up with waiting.

Many fans who possibly didn't care as much have now deserted the club, probably never to return. Most have gone because of the difficulty getting tickets for Withdean. Falmer looks to be going along the same lines.

Yeah, you already said that.

It's not really difficult to get tickets for Withdean. It will be far easier still (bordering on a piss of piss - you won't even have to leave your beer in the pub) to get tickets for Falmer.

What I want to know is what makes you say that?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Thats not actually true. You will be able to bowl up to the stadium at Falmer and buy a ticket there and then to get in.

Really? All I've heard about is paperless tickets, and phoning and ordering then collecting tickets from the station and other things that people will not be bothered with. Todays folk are incredibly lazy and until you can walk up to a turnstile, hand over cash and stroll in, thousands won't be bothered.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, you already said that.

It's not really difficult to get tickets for Withdean. It will be far easier still (bordering on a piss of piss - you won't even have to leave your beer in the pub) to get tickets for Falmer.

What I want to know is what makes you say that?

Whilst yes it will be much easier to get tickets at Falmer, the fact that you will not be able to just role up to the ground and get them on match day will put some off.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
It will be far easier still (bordering on a piss of piss - you won't even have to leave your beer in the pub) to get tickets for Falmer.

Is that the system where you have to apply for a store card type thing, wait for it to be posted to you, ring up to put credit on it, and then queue at the ticket office at the ground, then queue again to go through the turnstyle, where you wave you plastic card thing at a reader??

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Is that the system where you have to apply for a store card type thing, wait for it to be posted to you, ring up to put credit on it, and then queue at the ticket office at the ground, then queue again to go through the turnstyle, where you wave you plastic card thing at a reader??

Yep, piece of piss. I'll explain all that to any mates that decide they fancy going at 12.00 o clock on Saturday morning.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
It was asking quetions of the club which enabled us to still have a club.

Scrutiny is HEALTHY.

And Timbo is talking a lot sense. Lots of people, some of my friends included, just can't be bothered with Brighton anymore. They watch local football or play themselves.

You won't win them back - Falmer or no Falmer.

Not all of them but a large amount will come back just to be nosey at the stadium to begin with and they will catch the bug again :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Really? All I've heard about is paperless tickets, and phoning and ordering then collecting tickets from the station and other things that people will not be bothered with. Todays folk are incredibly lazy and until you can walk up to a turnstile, hand over cash and stroll in, thousands won't be bothered.

I can only go by what Dick Knight said at the Falmer Roadshow:
"Will you be able to arrive at the stadium on the day and buy a ticket there for the game ?"

"Yes"

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not having an in-depth knowledge of the process or being privvy to the club's business records etc probably not in the best position to give examples...

I don't think for one minute he is stringing things out for personal gain. But people are bound to speculate that when a project is 11 years old that someone else may have taken less time.

It is similar to having a striker who scores a goal every other game. Doing a good job but what is to say another player might not have scored more?

You have as much information of the Falmer process as the rest of us (save the Falmer Project Team, of course). Or, at least, you have access to the same information. Everything in the Public Inquiry was... in public.

Picking holes, the project has only been a full-time issue for eight years. Yeah, we identified Falmer in 1998, but weren't been able to work on it full-time until late 1999, we needed to get another stadium ready first. It was - and is - an extremely complicated application in four parts, and as such takes time to put through and for bureaucracy to grind through.

So speculation on whether anyone other than Martin Perry could have got anything done faster is kind of pointless - for nearly six out of those eight years, it was out of his hands. Five of those years were at the behest of HM Government. (Application submitted late 2001, approved by the Council in 2002, finally approved properly by the government in 2007). No-one can make the grinding wheels of government turn faster - you can thank the civil servants for that one.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
But then who on here really does have in-depth knowledge of these things?

I worked on the build process for Heathrow T5, Wembley and the Emirates

I am currently working with a client on the tender documents for the new stadium

The Quantity surveyor is

Franklin and Andrews has been appointed QS for the new Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club stadium.

The consultancy’s Peter Gray will lead QS work on the stadium at Falmer and will cooperate with the project’s design team.

Architect KSS developed the stadium plans and Bianchi Morley, Webb Yates and Hemsley Orrell Partnership are providing civil and structural engineering services.

The 22,500 seat stadium is set to be up and running for the club’s 2010 - 2011 season. After first project applications were rejected, the government granted planning permission for the new stadium on 25 July 2007.

Plans for the site include the club’s offices and a retail outlet, corporate hospitality facilities, a community learning hub, and independent education space for two local colleges.

A bus and coach interchange is also part of the development, to encourage the use of sustainable transport by the football supporters.

Barry Winterton, Franklin and Andrews’ sports business director, said: “Franklin and Andrews has an excellent track record in sports stadia cost consultancy and we look forward to helping deliver a stadium for Brighton & Hove’s team and fans that can be enjoyed for generations to come.”

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

That's one way of buying them, if you wanted to be cack-handed about it. I'd get the store card with credit already put on it.

I was thinking of the one where your phone has a barcode uploaded onto it, and you wave that into a machine. You can get your barcode while you're sitting in the boozer if you feel like it.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton

There is a concern over this and the club are well aware, I will speak to the operations manager tomorrow regarding this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here