Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fourth Investec Ashes Test, England v Australia, Chester le Street 9-13 Aug 2013

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Nonsense. The outfield is really slow so boundries are hard to come by. It's a slow pitch which are always a bit harder to score on. Australia generally bowled a decent line.

The aussie bowlers are much better than you're giving credit for.

Yup. The Aussie seam attack is as good as if not a smidgen better than our own. They don't have a Swann which makes a difference but watching this series I understand where Mickey Arthur was coming from with his "best attack in the world" comment. Give it a couple of years & a decent spinner & they might just be that.

We've batted pretty well, not brilliantly but pretty well. When the pressure's been on, someone's delivered that's always a good sign. How many times did Gilchrist (or even Jason Gillespie!!!) save Australia after their top order had failed in the old days. More than most would credit I bet.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The Australian attack is OK... nothing more. England put themselves under pressure by not scoring at a decent rate - I'm not asking them to smack boundaries around the park, but today there wasn't a single boundary in the first twelve overs & the Ozzies didn't bowl well.

In terms of Bairstow, I would have kept faith with Compton & had Root down the order. Bairstow is extremely lucky to be in this side.

I do not think Root at the top of the order would be an issue, if he had been picked to play there in India, New Zealand and the home series with the Ram Raiders. However to chuck him up the order for the Ashes series is a bit silly. Compton, to me, is a pick of England selectors from the 90's. Good season in county cricket, getting a bit near 30, so they pick him.

Bairstow should be sent back to him county (watch him get 250 now), but I do not understand why number 6 is such a problem position. It should be made for an attacking batsman, instead everyone who is picked there since Collingwood retired and Bell moved to 5 has failed.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yup. The Aussie seam attack is as good as if not a smidgen better than our own. They don't have a Swann which makes a difference but watching this series I understand where Mickey Arthur was coming from with his "best attack in the world" comment. Give it a couple of years & a decent spinner & they might just be that.

We've batted pretty well, not brilliantly but pretty well. When the pressure's been on, someone's delivered that's always a good sign. How many times did Gilchrist (or even Jason Gillespie!!!) save Australia after their top order had failed in the old days. More than most would credit I bet.

I am not sure they are better than ours. If you look at the players that are here, Starc has looked toothless. Siddle is angry and has bowled well. Harris cannot stay fit to have a run in the side. Long term Pattersen and Cummins could be superb though.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Has the outfield been slow on every pitch England have played on for the past two years?

Now you're being facetious! England have batted slow and steady for the best part of 10 years and it's been successful, this team won't all of a sudden do a Langer & Hayden impression on day 1 of a test when the outfield is sluggish and boundries are at a premium. If they did we'd be about 50/5 by now.

Is it? I wouldn't have said it was quick, but from what I've seen so far I wouldn't describe it as slow either. Seems to be going through to Haddin quite nicely, as did Root's catch at a good height. This square has been a seamers paradise most of the season.

But it's been hot and dry for two months. From what they're saying in the commentry the weather in the last week or so has affected conditions quite a lot.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Run a minute since lunch, the bookies have England at evens now, 5/1 Australia.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The run rate has increased significantly after lunch... 31 in the last 10 overs.

Yep, both batsmen now punishing the wide ball, but still sensibly leaving just outside off. Positive without being reckless.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Pity.. Trott out for 49.... nick onto pads playing Lyon down the leg side... caught at short leg.

107-2

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
KP has started in pretty aggressive if slightly streaky fashion... 12* from 6 balls (2 fours of Lyon)...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Pity.. Trott out for 49.... nick onto pads playing Lyon down the leg side... caught at short leg.

107-2

He seems to be getting out to these run of the mill shots onto the leg side. Crap way to get out.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This will be a good battle. Pietersen loves taking apart meat and drink offspin but Lyon is a canny operator.

Regardless, I like the fact that Pietersen wants to hit him out of the attack. If he's successful it will be a long day for the seamers. If he's not the haters will be on here spouting their usual rubbish.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
KP has 25 from 25 balls... Harris the latest to take some stick... can he keep this up?

And now up to 7730 Test runs, FIFTH in the all time England Test runs scorers. Just gone ahead of Atherton... only behind Gooch, Stewart, Gower and Boycott.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here