Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fourth Investec Ashes Test, England v Australia, Chester le Street 9-13 Aug 2013

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Our batting (Bell aside) has been disgusting so far, plus with our extremely negative tactics it'll be 3 seamers + Swann.

Eh? Root & Pietersen have both scored tons in this series (Root's a biggie) & this Australian attack is good. Look how they fared against South Africa for evidence of that.

I don't think we've been completely at our best with the bat but disgusting is ridiculous

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
That surprises me. Given the build up he has had in the run up to this game, I thought he would have been nailed on. Personally, I think Trott is very lucky to have kept his place. James Taylor deserved a go on merit.

I wonder if you people watch cricket outside the Ashes. Trott is not lucky to have kept his place, he's had a tough series, it happens. His record in Test Match cricket is up there with the best & his overall record against Australia is exceptional. I'm a keen advocate of Taylor & I think he's a really talented player but this is just crazy talk. Trott will be England's number 3 in Australia this winter even if he weren't to score another run in the series, on merit. You can't score runs every innings, that's why you have 6 (or 7 in England's case) batsmen.

Get a grip.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So far on this thread we've had:
1) Taylor in for Trott
2) Panesar in for Swann

I, like T Soprano, should be banned from starting threads if this is what's going to happen either with results, or quality of posts...

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Since when has Chester-le-Street been a test ground? What's its capacity and has it replaced one of the other six? I imagine hotel rooms will be at a premium in such a little town!

Money (the Emirates sponsorship probably doesn't hurt either.)

Having said that Durham is a beautiful place and Chester Le Street, a lovely place to watch cricket.

Stumpy Tim

The way England start batting is infuriating. I'm all in favour of being careful at the start, but we take it to an extreme level. 1.9 runs an over isn't the way to win a test match... it just means we're on 160 when the second new ball is used, and we're probably 4 or 5 down. We need to be going for a run rate of 3-3.5 an over.

Taylor does deserve his chance, ahead of Bairstow who would be a useful batsman if he bowled like Bresnan. Unfortunately he doesn't.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The way England start batting is infuriating. I'm all in favour of being careful at the start, but we take it to an extreme level. 1.9 runs an over isn't the way to win a test match... it just means we're on 160 when the second new ball is used, and we're probably 4 or 5 down. We need to be going for a run rate of 3-3.5 an over.

Taylor does deserve his chance, ahead of Bairstow who would be a useful batsman if he bowled like Bresnan. Unfortunately he doesn't.

Our general tactics are exceptionally negative. This comes from Flower, and now being backed up by his captain Cook.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
So far on this thread we've had:
1) Taylor in for Trott
2) Panesar in for Swann

I, like T Soprano, should be banned from starting threads if this is what's going to happen either with results, or quality of posts...

I thought mine was a classic post but maybe I am just too clever.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

The ball is new and the Australian attack is decent. The pressure is on. You can't just turn on a tap and start hitting boundaries until you've created a platform from which to attack. This is proper cricket, with plenty of time left to get a result.

Re Bairstow - I think you need to look at your original point, i.e. slow scoring. Bairstow usually scores at a fair rate of knots, and his aggressive punchy style is one of the reasons he's in the side. He needs a score, but I don't think Taylor's done enough to displace him just yet.

Stumpy Tim

The ball is new and the Australian attack is decent. The pressure is on. You can't just turn on a tap and start hitting boundaries until you've created a platform from which to attack. This is proper cricket, with plenty of time left to get a result.

Re Bairstow - I think you need to look at your original point, i.e. slow scoring. Bairstow usually scores at a fair rate of knots, and his aggressive punchy style is one of the reasons he's in the side. He needs a score, but I don't think Taylor's done enough to displace him just yet.

The Australian attack is OK... nothing more. England put themselves under pressure by not scoring at a decent rate - I'm not asking them to smack boundaries around the park, but today there wasn't a single boundary in the first twelve overs & the Ozzies didn't bowl well.

In terms of Bairstow, I would have kept faith with Compton & had Root down the order. Bairstow is extremely lucky to be in this side.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
LUNCH: England 57-1 (27 overs)

Cook 21* Trott 13*

Scoring rate only 2.11 per over, but only one wicket in the session... no real advantage gained by either side, yet.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The Australian attack is OK... nothing more. England put themselves under pressure by not scoring at a decent rate - I'm not asking them to smack boundaries around the park, but today there wasn't a single boundary in the first twelve overs & the Ozzies didn't bowl well.

In terms of Bairstow, I would have kept faith with Compton & had Root down the order. Bairstow is extremely lucky to be in this side.

Nonsense. The outfield is really slow so boundries are hard to come by. It's a slow pitch which are always a bit harder to score on. Australia generally bowled a decent line.

The aussie bowlers are much better than you're giving credit for.

Stumpy Tim

Nonsense. The outfield is really slow so boundries are hard to come by. It's a slow pitch which are always a bit harder to score on. Australia generally bowled a decent line.

Has the outfield been slow on every pitch England have played on for the past two years?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Is it? I wouldn't have said it was quick, but from what I've seen so far I wouldn't describe it as slow either. Seems to be going through to Haddin quite nicely, as did Root's catch at a good height. This square has been a seamers paradise most of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here