Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Foul language from BHA fans.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
BrightonBird said:
Not being a woman, you will not understand that using that word is the worst thing for a woman. You ask most women on here and I think they will agree with me. That word is something that most women hate hearing (obviously at a football match I hear it all the time, but in the street, etc, I get shocked). I swear when I am het up, but it's usually the f word.

What else would i not understand because i am a man?
Language is the same for everyone. I know a lot of women who use the word freely, unconditioned by social norm of connotation.
But, the main point is that whether it comes from male or female mouth, the impact is the same. To distinguish between the two sets back feminist debate about 40 years.

Meade's_Ball said:
I think the point about women using the c-word is an utter load of rubbish. As if feminine lips ought to be pure?

I completely agree. People can choose to use it if they want, but to think that as a female they mustn't use it is bollocks. The word only has the taboo status now because it used to be used offensively against women. These days it is used in exactly the same ways as the word f***, and that is almost acceptable, or at least you would think so the amount of time it appears within acceptable society (TV, radio etc.)

If women were to use the word then they would reclaim it and it would no longer be the offensive derogatory cliche that it is at the moment. Much in the same way as black people reclaimed the racist bile that is "******". It's just a word.

As for swearing at football and in front of kids. I do swear, and at football I will swear if the frustration gets the better of me. I do keep an eye out for kids, although not many sit near me, but sometimes it all gets too much. That said, because of the diverse mix of people at games there is nothing that can really be done about it.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
BrightonBird said:
Not being a woman, you will not understand that using that word is the worst thing for a woman. You ask most women on here and I think they will agree with me. That word is something that most women hate hearing (obviously at a football match I hear it all the time, but in the street, etc, I get shocked).

I would agree with that. It always sounds worse from a woman as most women find it extremely offensive to hear too.

I have only used the f word a couple of times in my entire life and that in extreme circumstances.

My Dad told me back in the 60's that I would hear bad language at a football match (and we didn't have the chants and songs back then either) but it was never to be used at home. I only ever heard my Dad swear at a football match (apart from the milder bugger or sods)

Meade's_Ball said:
Language is the same for everyone. I know a lot of women who use the word freely, unconditioned by social norm of connotation.
But, the main point is that whether it comes from male or female mouth, the impact is the same. To distinguish between the two sets back feminist debate about 40 years.

Well the women I know don't like it. Just my opinion and view.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Meade's_Ball said:

I am not a feminist nor would I want to be. I may be old fashioned but I think a lady should act like a lady.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
BrightonBird said:
Well the women I know don't like it. Just my opinion and view.

Its totally up to you what you find offensive or not. I just worry about the thoughts behind why its worse for a woman to say. I would have thought such notions follow classical oppressive sterotypes of virginal purity.

I only debate, not attack, i hope you know.

:)

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I think a certain "type" of woman uses the word ****

Cheap, common, lack of class, and definately without manners are traits of this "type" of woman

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Meade's_Ball said:
I don't think i know any of them. WHat do they do?

We haven't been introduced, have we?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Meade's_Ball said:
No, i'm afraid not. I'll spot you out of the crowd no doubt. You'll be the one acting like a lady.
:)

:lolol: Very true

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
BrightonBird said:
Not being a woman, you will not understand that using that word is the worst thing for a woman. You ask most women on here and I think they will agree with me. That word is something that most women hate hearing (obviously at a football match I hear it all the time, but in the street, etc, I get shocked). I swear when I am het up, but it's usually the f word.

I take your point entirely BB. I know it's not germain to this conversation that much but I can say that you hardly ever hear the 'C-word' in the US (even from men) as it is so aborent to them.

I had a particular female boss who swore all the time (including the C-word frequently). All her superiors, her peers and anybody else thought she was nothing but a cheap slut. I suppose she thought she was being 'hard' but frankly she just looked a complete idiot.

Last edited:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
bhaexpress said:
I take your point entirely BB. I know it's not germain to this conversation that much but I can say that you hardly ever hear the 'C-word' in the US (even from men) as it is so aborent to them.

I would have thought that a word that unnerves Americans ought to be used more often.

There was a very good episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm from HBO that dealt with the lunacy of being so insulted.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Meade's_Ball said:
I would have thought that a word that unnerves Americans ought to be used more often.

There was a very good episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm from HBO that dealt with the lunacy of being so insulted.

Although it's neither big or clever I have had several huge rucks with Mrs BHA ex husband (who is 'C-word believe me) where the C-word has unnerved him to the point that he won't come near the house when I am there !

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Swearing is only good if it's amusing or out of sheer frustration - I don't see the need for consistent effing and blinding. That woman at the top of the thread needs to be reported, simple as that.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
larus said:
I was in the main away section with some friends and our kids. My boy is 9, one other is 10 and another 6.

There was a woman (looked like a real slapper) sat near me with 3 other guys and she was shouting obscenities all match long, i.e. c***, w***er, f***, etc, etc.

When we moved a few seats along because of our kids, she even seemed proud. Comments such as 'Where have those kids gone that were in front of you?. Oh, looks like they didn't like my foul mouth'

I realise that it's a football match and you're going to hear bad language, but is it too much to expect some restraint from people if there are young kids around?

I bet this woman had long black hair and glasses on,if so I saw her getting a beer in the ground before the game,and she was in full flow then,and if it was her she also had a couple of kids with her when I saw her!!:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here