Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Former World Cup star playing at the AMEX?

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
I have it on good authority that Bobby Charlton wants to make a comeback. He played at The Goldstone as player manager for Preston - I was there and he was pretty poor - and he wants to make amends to show his true talent in front of the Brighton fans by showing his true talent at The Amex. Probably a better bet than Michael Owen who would be injured- at least we could put Bobby up front as a goal hanger to make up the numbers.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You havn`t answered my qustion ,what is it that Qwen could offer us?

Ok, as i said earlier IF and that is a big if, he still has the desire and proves his fitness he would be an fantastic signing. You question the fact he has not played much, well being behind Rooney, Hernandes(spelt wrong im sure) and Berbatov(top prem scorer) in the pecking order at Old Trafford does not mean he is spent. They are three world class strikers. What could he bring to us you ask, well not so long ago he was regarded by many as one of the best strikers in the world. Yes injuries and age have taken there toll a bit. But I say again, IF he is fit to play, a Michael Owen at 75% would still fill his boots and murder defences in the championship....So the answer to you question is very simple, 25 goals +.....will that do?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
This is not a dig at Barnes, but if Owen had the chances he has had this season he would have over 40 goals. That said Barnes has done very well for his age and experence and can only get better. Not sure if he is up to championship level though, his first touch is not great and you get half a second less in the championship.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
You havn`t answered my qustion ,what is it that Qwen could offer us?

If fit, and he has been for most of this season, the problem has been that Man Utd have three strikers much better than him, he would rip the Championship to shreds, I have no doubt about that. Not that I think he'll be coming.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
I would prefer us to sign Macheda. I have heard he has a problem with his ego but a talented hungry player that Gus can put back on the right track would be better than a has been who is injured too often.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Cannot believe we are suggesting signing players from Man United. Christ we only won league one :lolol: Although apparently Beckham is joining from LA Galaxy.

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
i personally wouldnt want owen here he is injury prone and his wages would cost alot id rather us get a good young prem striker rather than owen

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
The Owen rumour goes on and on, wonder if there is anything in it?....Would be a massive signing if he is fit and still has the passion for the game. But these are two massive IF'S....Although one would expect Gus to be satisfied on both fronts, were he to end up at the Amex. Bloom may like a gamble but he is not a fool and I dont belive for a second he would sanction a move like this, if all was not ok with the player.

Well this Seaford bird heard the MO rumour in Hove Actually - from a reliable souce - the same source that a while ago told me who the new club sponsors were going to be. I am also told that MO was seen leaving the Grand Hotel with TB

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Could it be a Murray for Owen swap? ???:laugh:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If it was Owen, it would only be because of personal connections with Bloom and no other reason, he could easily get into prem clubs like Sunderland or Blackburn and most established Championship clubs like Forest, Leeds would prob take him and be a more sure proposition than a just promoted League 1 team.

It would be a massive coup/statement of intent and would attract other higher calibre players.... but it is pure fantasy to suggest he would choose us over others for footballing reasons. It would only be because of personal connections

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
If it was Owen, it would only be because of personal connections with Bloom and no other reason, he could easily get into prem clubs like Sunderland or Blackburn and most established Championship clubs like Forest, Leeds would prob take him and be a more sure proposition than a just promoted League 1 team.

It would be a massive coup/statement of intent and would attract other higher calibre players.... but it is pure fantasy to suggest he would choose us over others for footballing reasons. It would only be because of personal connections
It has happened before when Bobby Smith signed straight from first division Spurs to join us in the fourth division. The class of players that followed the Smith signing was way above the fourth division and it proved to be a great success for the club. We walked the divison and the whole interest in the Albion just went through the roof. Could it happen again?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It has happened before when Bobby Smith signed straight from first division Spurs to join us in the fourth division. The class of players that followed the Smith signing was way above the fourth division and it proved to be a great success for the club. We walked the divison and the whole interest in the Albion just went through the roof. Could it happen again?

Bit didnt Smith sign because a local bookie waved his gambeling debts??......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here