Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Form table

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Yes, but the obvious handball happened during the game. Fairly straight forward situation really, but been played up to death because it was Man Utd and it's a tale of woe for us.

When Solly scored there was 27 seconds left of the MINIMUM injury time. When the game kicked off again, therefore there should have been a minimum of 27 seconds left to play. The handball came 3 minutes and 16 seconds after kick off.
Now , I do realise what minimum means, and there is often longer actually played in a game than is indicated at the end of 90 minutes, but 2 and a half minutes? That’s an awful long time to add on to indicated injury time if no stoppages have happened i the remaining 27 seconds.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
When Solly scored there was 27 seconds left of the MINIMUM injury time. When the game kicked off again, therefore there should have been a minimum of 27 seconds left to play. The handball came 3 minutes and 16 seconds after kick off.
Now , I do realise what minimum means, and there is often longer actually played in a game than is indicated at the end of 90 minutes, but 2 and a half minutes? That’s an awful long time to add on to indicated injury time if no stoppages have happened i the remaining 27 seconds.

Which is why, IMO, they need to take the timing watch away from the on field Ref. I don't mind when play goes on after the final siren in rugby, because the rules say it does until one of a number of defined "game over" stoppages occurs. But with football, having play go on for an unspecified period of time purely on the say-so of the on field ref seems wrong. You get some refs who blow up for full time promptly the watch says they should, and others who let play go on ... and on ... and on, letting the side with possession continue to push for an equaliser / winner until the ref is forced to blow full time. It leaves things open to the on field ref to play advantage to one side over another just because the ref wants to, not because it's the correct thing to do.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Which is why, IMO, they need to take the timing watch away from the on field Ref. I don't mind when play goes on after the final siren in rugby, because the rules say it does until one of a number of defined "game over" stoppages occurs. But with football, having play go on for an unspecified period of time purely on the say-so of the on field ref seems wrong. You get some refs who blow up for full time promptly the watch says they should, and others who let play go on ... and on ... and on, letting the side with possession continue to push for an equaliser / winner until the ref is forced to blow full time. It leaves things open to the on field ref to play advantage to one side over another just because the ref wants to, not because it's the correct thing to do.

This.

In the Manchester United game, the penalty was from a corner that should never have been taken. There was a natural stoppage in the game, so the ref should have blown when the ball went out of play. Referees do , do this, I quite often bet on the number of corners and have lost bets when it’s an obvious corner but the whistle blows for full time before it is taken.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Re Dunk's disallowed goal the ref blew when the ball was in the air towards the goal, so all this let the natural stoppage is Reffbluff. Another vote for off field clock control.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Thanks for sharing the video.
It's hugely interesting and very poignant ahead of our game on Saturday.
16 minutes very well spent.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Victory over Newcastle would boost our 6 game form to 1.16 so I'm not sure how much use such a volatile figure is ? :shrug:

Its to keep us grounded whilst the hours past by until Saturday night and we do ! (or prepare us if we don't !)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Agree as well

It's clear that don't just end the game when the watch hits 90. It's usually at a particular point in the game.

The opacity around timekeeping, quite understandably, leads fans to be thinking that the refs are adding a few seconds to help particular clubs, (like Man U) find a late goal.

There is now no technological barrier to having the refs watch linked to a big screen at the ground.

This is the sort of technological improvement we need, not armpit offsides

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
That video is interesting, and makes me feel somewhat more positive about the rest of the season.

We do produce a lot of shots and we don't concede many, so according to the premise of the video the underlying performance is statistically better than the actual league position indicates. Then when you look at the on-field character and attitude of the team it certainly doesn't come across as one that is afraid of relegation.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Its to keep us grounded whilst the hours past by until Saturday night and we do ! (or prepare us if we don't !)

The last game I actually went to was 27th April 2019. Possibly the worst 1st half we played in the premier league.
Just hope we don't repeat that result and win with a couple of goals to spare.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here