Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Form table

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
That's true. Confidence will fuel ability. I don't think it means a flukey shot off the shin will go in but a player is more likely to take that shot at the first attempt rather than take an unnecessary extra touch.

It's in all sports. In American Football they call it 'hot hands'. The complete opposite can happen and in golf they call it the 'yips'. We've had the yips in front of goal, and hopefully we'll now have a few games of hot hands. :thumbsup:

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
10 games seems way too much to be called 'form'. 5 max, and on that count I think you'd see us much nearer the bottom.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
6 game table which is the standard metric for form:

e3bc066bbfb5a353223bf0717c0192ce.jpg

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Great to see Potterball manifesting itself in high scoring games, not. Only 3 teams scored fewer, and only Chelsea conceded fewer.

Not being miserable git, it is good stuff but sort of quirky given how Potter has been lauded for style of play. But then again, if we take more chances, CL beckoning....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Great table to show how well Graham and the team have done last 10 :clap2:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's in all sports. In American Football they call it 'hot hands'. The complete opposite can happen and in golf they call it the 'yips'. We've had the yips in front of goal, and hopefully we'll now have a few games of hot hands. :thumbsup:

The key word you use is 'hopefully'. That's the season in a nutshell.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
If only we had a quality striker... No offense to Maupay and Connolly... but still, if only we had a quality striker...

I think if Welbeck stays fit he may help to bring the best out of other players like Maupay and Trossard. Graham Potter is producing a style of play that creates chances but unfortunately we have scored over 13 goals less than our Xg. We’ve also conceded 5 more than we should have although we have been far better of late defensively. The truly unbelievable stat is our Xp is 17 under what it should be. If all the teams were placed by their expected points so far this season, we’d be 5th in the table! Can you imagine that? UTA.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think if Welbeck stays fit he may help to bring the best out of other players like Maupay and Trossard. Graham Potter is producing a style of play that creates chances but unfortunately we have scored over 13 goals less than our Xg. We’ve also conceded 5 more than we should have although we have been far better of late defensively. The truly unbelievable stat is our Xp is 17 under what it should be. If all the teams were placed by their expected points so far this season, we’d be 5th in the table! Can you imagine that? UTA.

I can, actually!

Man Utd don't get that 95th minute penalty +1
We score one of the penalties or disallowed free kick against WBA, go on to get a deserved winner, +3
AJ scores that last minute header against Sheff Utd +2
The accidental handball leading to a goal rule is relaxed earlier, before Fulham Away +2
Saints don't get a last minute penalty given due a foul outside the box +1
Sanchez doesn't have a brain fart against Leicester +1
Martinez doesn't play a worldie against us +2
Palace home nuff said +3
We don't change to a back 4 late on against West Brom at home +2.

There, that's 17, and doesn't include battering Fulham and Burnley at home 0-0, or being 10 minutes from victory against West Ham, or missing two early gilt edged opportunities against Liverpool, or Palace getting a penalty that wasn't at Selhurst, or chances to beat Wolves at 3-3.

Of course we didn't do any of those things, which is why we are where we are, if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle, etc etc. But does show the fine margins in this game.

We are kind of having the opposite of Sheffield Uniteds 2019-20 season, where all their games were close and every small margin seemed to go in their favour. Would be nice if next season we have the complete opposite of Sheffield Uniteds 2020-21 season :)

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I can, actually!

We score one of the penalties or disallowed free kick against WBA, go on to get a deserved winner, +3
The accidental handball leading to a goal rule is relaxed earlier, before Fulham Away +2
Palace home nuff said +3

There, that's 17, and doesn't include battering Fulham and Burnley at home 0-0, or being 10 minutes from victory against West Ham, or missing two early gilt edged opportunities against Liverpool, or Palace getting a penalty that wasn't at Selhurst, or chances to beat Wolves at 3-3.

Of course we didn't do any of those things, which is why we are where we are, if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle, etc etc. But does show the fine margins in this game.

We are kind of having the opposite of Sheffield Uniteds 2019-20 season, where all their games were close and every small margin seemed to go in their favour. Would be nice if next season we have the complete opposite of Sheffield Uniteds 2020-21 season :)

But you haven't taken into account all the times when it's gone the other way ... the times when we've had crazy refereeing decisions go in our favour, or we've scraped undeserved points through lucky goals like .... well .. like ... um ...

Yeh actually good points KG

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I can, actually!

Palace home nuff said +3

Exactly. Something the Potter outs don’t see with regards to the bigger picture, just how close we are to being a top half team. As you say, fine margins indeed.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I can, actually!

Palace home nuff said +3

+1 - Tottenham not being given a penalty after Kane fouled Lallana.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I can, actually!

Palace home nuff said +3

The penalty against Wolves, the ball had gone out of play and should have been a throw into us, and Trossard scored a perfectly good goal that was given as a foul, even though nobody apart from the officials thought it was.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Over 10 games only 1 side has conceded less goals than us. We are definitely in a precarious position. Doesn't necessarily justify the extent of the criticism and not seeing the effort and quality of the performances, acknowledging the key injuries that have impacted our form, and the inexplicable opportunities we've missed.

We've played a lot better in other games than we did against Saints yesterday, dominated more, had much better chances and lost. Those are the breaks. Call it luck, good fortune, whatever else, but we took our chances yesterday. Fingers crossed we continue to do so.

Agree with this. It's small margins and, for a variety of reasons (although our finishing is the most important factor for me), these have gone against us far more than for us this season. It's why I don't buy the widespread view that xG is a nonsense metric. Of course it's not as important as points on the board, but goal difference and xG are also revealing.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
To be fair, our form hasn’t really wavered all season. No one has stuffed us and we have always been in matches with a chance of winning. With a bit more luck we would be mid table. With a couple of better strikers - who knows? We really could be competing as a top 8 club.
OK, our position in the table is actually poor, but as a football club we have never had it so good, and never had such aspirations as we do now.

This is how I see it too. Our squad, the DS, and Tony's overall plan makes this such an exciting time to be a B&HA fan.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
6 game table which is the standard metric for form:

Albion would finish on 37 points if this 6 game form continued for last 10 games. ie: 0.83 pts per game.
And Fulham would finish on 37 points as well. Newcastle would finish on 38...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here