Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

foreign football firms

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Lets get this into perspective anyway, football hooliganism , was , for a significant minority a bit of a laugh in the 80's, and thats just what it was, a 70's and 80's phenomenon.
There are people on here who are in their f***ing 40's and discussing "firms" like 18 year olds would, I'll put my hands up to being involved as a15-18 year old with Chelsea and the west st firm, but that was 30 f***ing years ago, and even then I think for most people it was a fashion statement with a bit of travelling away, a drink a laugh and the occasional ruck thrown in.
I dont particularly enjoy the happy clappy sanitised experience that football has become , it certainly has led to a lot less passion and a lack of atmosphere at games but for people on here to be discussing dresdens "firm" in such detail is ridiculous, if they're under 40 , then i'd say give it up mate , it was a period of time that can never be recreated for a whole host of reasons, if you're over 40 then grow the f*** up and get a hobby.

Wow. Great post.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
'The 'scene' started on Merseyside in 1977 '

I had to explain this to the admin of the Liverpool EDL page who was announcing that it was a 'southern' thing...the mind boggles.

The EDL are as relevant to the true casual scene as the Taliban. Every time I watch those bellends on the telly they're in snide Stone Island, and when I saw them in the flesh in Birmingham City Centre the Saturday of our match there, I must have counted 8 snides, including a beautiful Raso Tomato on some massive fat cunt.

Jan 30, 2008
The EDL are as relevant to the true casual scene as the Taliban. Every time I watch those bellends on the telly they're in snide Stone Island, and when I saw them in the flesh in Birmingham City Centre the Saturday of our match there, I must have counted 8 snides, including a beautiful Raso Tomato on some massive fat cunt.
MARCH FOR THE FLAG seem to attract though?

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
There are people on here who are in their f***ing 40's and discussing "firms" like 18 year olds would, I'll put my hands up to being involved as a15-18 year old with Chelsea and the west st firm, but that was 30 f***ing years ago, and even then I think for most people it was a fashion statement with a bit of travelling away, a drink a laugh and the occasional ruck thrown in.

You get in any scraps in the Top Rank Suite c 1985 Bushy? Still trying to find out which of the WSF to thank for my ability ever since to sniff round corners!

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Theres a huge difference between war and murdering children in their beds in my opinion, sorry.

Afghan is not a war though. Wars is where two sides fight. My Nephew in the Marines said on his return that they came under fire most days for 6 months, bullets, RPG's etc but on only 5 occassions where they allowed to fire back. WAR........thats not war.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
It was/is all about the clothes for me. The 80s casuals were not just about acting up at the match. They have been vilified by a liberal press because A) They were working class, B) The middle class press hadn't thought them up, like the hippies and punks, C) They were more fashionable than the posh f***ing hacks, and wore only the best, and invented 'cool' in the 80s, with the press still looking for scarf-wearing & bonehead-with-Doc-Martens-on at the match.

They were the direct descendents of the Victorian scuttlers, the Teddy Boys, Mods, and early skinhead/suedeheads - all working class, all to do with oneupmanship in clothes, attitude, and yes, fighting ability - that good old fashioned working class male pastime, handed down since the middle ages - the punch-up. The common thread through all these bottom-up youth cultures was dressing and acting way above your supposed position in the disgraceful class system of this country. That's why the mods spent every penny on a weekend suit, and the casuals would go looking for trouble in a £800 Italian designer coat. It wasn't about being the best, it was looking the best too.

The liberal press hadn't a f***ing clue about the casuals until 84-85, when Millwall ripped up Luton and legged the coppers everywhere, in expensive leather coats, nice haircuts and Lois jeans. The 'scene' started on Merseyside in 1977 FFS, that's how long it took the press to catch on something was there among the youth that they knew f*** all about. The casual scene was frowned upon because their style and ethos hadn't been dictated to by GQ, or NME, or any other liberal establishment rag.

I think personally, when the present feeding frenzy over badly written and downright untruthful hooligan memoirs dies down, there will be a proper cultural look at the football casual and that whole era, which still lives on. History, I think, will judge it a more important youth culture than the middle class punk poseurs who are now the suits of today, the new liberal establishment - who frown on working class culture and have completely taken over our game. Many a good 'lad' died young from living too hard and fast, and many became Ecstasy casualties when they took a break from the terraces and virtually invented the rave scene.

Already books like the classic 'Casuals' by Phil Thornton have gone beyond the fighting, and looked at the clothes, the days out, the music, the drugs, of those great days. 'A Casual Look' by our own Nick 'Harvey' is another one.

It's easy to buy the press line of 'mindless thugs', but the scene is/was far, far more than that. It has influenced more than you think too, but that's another story not fit for an already too long post on this place.

quality post.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Afghan is not a war though. Wars is where two sides fight. My Nephew in the Marines said on his return that they came under fire most days for 6 months, bullets, RPG's etc but on only 5 occassions where they allowed to fire back. WAR........thats not war.
The official term for this is "courageous restraint" an absolute joke in my opinion, nobody in their right mind wants to see innocent civilians killed, but i bet this wouldnt be policy if euan f***ing blair or one of camerons kids was doing a tour.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
It was a f*** up waiting to happen from the beginning imo...just pull them out. Its terrible that weve lost so many, but for the sake of future lives ffs.. the theory about defending us is ridiculous anyway.

back to football..Ive not seen anything happen here really...you see isolated fights during some matches on tv, but ive not seen anything in reality here. Banik Ostrava seem to be the bad boys, and I think they team up with some Polish teams fans for matches in CZ and Poland..

Jan 30, 2008
It was a f*** up waiting to happen from the beginning imo...just pull them out. Its terrible that weve lost so many, but for the sake of future lives ffs.. the theory about defending us is ridiculous anyway.

back to football..Ive not seen anything happen here really...you see isolated fights during some matches on tv, but ive not seen anything in reality here. Banik Ostrava seem to be the bad boys, and I think they team up with some Polish teams fans for matches in CZ and Poland..
Bratislava ?

Dec 29, 2011
this thread alone is enough to stop you wanting to go to the Euros and I hope Brighton dont quality for Europe any time soon!!

If some charming Pompey fans I was infront of on Saturday are anything to go by, i'd say we're never going to be in Europe.

"YOU f***ing AIDS SCUM YOU'LL NEVER WIN THE FA CUP OR BE IN EUROPE". Can only laugh really can't ya.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here