Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

foreign football firms

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
i wasn't referring to them sausage (and you know it), i feel for those guys , put your life on the line but don't forget to be nice to the poor little villagers or you'll get court- marshalled.......what a load of bollocks ,is it a war zone or is it not ...?? if it is then let them get on with it , if it isn't then bring them home .
fair enough, i agree.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Its not out of context at all.... Its not the first time this has happened.... Americans, and British soldiers have been guilty of it previously. I dont believe the object of the war is to kill every living soul in the country. I do agree they shouldnt be there, and never should have been, but thats another argument :)

Jan 30, 2008
Its not out of context at all.... Its not the first time this has happened.... Americans, and British soldiers have been guilty of it previously. I dont believe the object of the war is to kill every living soul in the country. I do agree they shouldnt be there, and never should have been, but thats another argument :)
war's a dirty job dave, in an ideal world it wouldn't have happened.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Theres a huge difference between war and murdering children in their beds in my opinion, sorry.

i don't think they do that on purpose mate .......no doubt they feel like shit now but it could easily have been an r.p.g pointing at them as a nine year old.....r.i.p. it's a no win shituation.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
See footage of Juve v someone I can\'t recall where two massive firms meet up offside without a police presence...not a single punch thrown. Just rocks and bottles exchanged.

The last Turin derby I went to we couldn't read our tickets because of all the tear gas and we just got waved in to the Ultras section. We were welcomed for being British, but it wasn't that intimidating, just animated. Whereas in Poland, Turkey or Bulgaria you wouldn't want to get caught up in things.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
It was/is all about the clothes for me. The 80s casuals were not just about acting up at the match. They have been vilified by a liberal press because A) They were working class, B) The middle class press hadn't thought them up, like the hippies and punks, C) They were more fashionable than the posh f***ing hacks, and wore only the best, and invented 'cool' in the 80s, with the press still looking for scarf-wearing & bonehead-with-Doc-Martens-on at the match.

They were the direct descendents of the Victorian scuttlers, the Teddy Boys, Mods, and early skinhead/suedeheads - all working class, all to do with oneupmanship in clothes, attitude, and yes, fighting ability - that good old fashioned working class male pastime, handed down since the middle ages - the punch-up. The common thread through all these bottom-up youth cultures was dressing and acting way above your supposed position in the disgraceful class system of this country. That's why the mods spent every penny on a weekend suit, and the casuals would go looking for trouble in a £800 Italian designer coat. It wasn't about being the best, it was looking the best too.

The liberal press hadn't a f***ing clue about the casuals until 84-85, when Millwall ripped up Luton and legged the coppers everywhere, in expensive leather coats, nice haircuts and Lois jeans. The 'scene' started on Merseyside in 1977 FFS, that's how long it took the press to catch on something was there among the youth that they knew f*** all about. The casual scene was frowned upon because their style and ethos hadn't been dictated to by GQ, or NME, or any other liberal establishment rag.

I think personally, when the present feeding frenzy over badly written and downright untruthful hooligan memoirs dies down, there will be a proper cultural look at the football casual and that whole era, which still lives on. History, I think, will judge it a more important youth culture than the middle class punk poseurs who are now the suits of today, the new liberal establishment - who frown on working class culture and have completely taken over our game. Many a good 'lad' died young from living too hard and fast, and many became Ecstasy casualties when they took a break from the terraces and virtually invented the rave scene.

Already books like the classic 'Casuals' by Phil Thornton have gone beyond the fighting, and looked at the clothes, the days out, the music, the drugs, of those great days. 'A Casual Look' by our own Nick 'Harvey' is another one.

It's easy to buy the press line of 'mindless thugs', but the scene is/was far, far more than that. It has influenced more than you think too, but that's another story not fit for an already too long post on this place.

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
It was/is all about the clothes for me. The 80s casuals were not just about acting up at the match. They have been vilified by a liberal press because A) They were working class, B) The middle class press hadn't thought them up, like the hippies and punks, C) They were more fashionable than the posh f***ing hacks, and wore only the best, and invented 'cool' in the 80s, with the press still looking for scarf-wearing & bonehead-with-Doc-Martens-on at the match.

They were the direct descendents of the Victorian scuttlers, the Teddy Boys, Mods, and early skinhead/suedeheads - all working class, all to do with oneupmanship in clothes, attitude, and yes, fighting ability - that good old fashioned working class male pastime, handed down since the middle ages - the punch-up. The common thread through all these bottom-up youth cultures was dressing and acting way above your supposed position in the disgraceful class system of this country. That's why the mods spent every penny on a weekend suit, and the casuals would go looking for trouble in a £800 Italian designer coat. It wasn't about being the best, it was looking the best too.

The liberal press hadn't a f***ing clue about the casuals until 84-85, when Millwall ripped up Luton and legged the coppers everywhere, in expensive leather coats, nice haircuts and Lois jeans. The casual scene was frowned upon because their style and ethos hadn't been dictated to by GQ, or NME, or any other liberal establishment rag.

I think personally, when the present feeding frenzy over badly written and downright untruthful hooligan memoirs dies down, there will be a proper cultural look at the football casual and that whole era, which still lives on. History, I think, will judge it a more important youth culture than the middle class punk poseurs who are now the suits of today, the new liberal establishment - who frown on working class culture and have completely taken over our game. Many a good 'lad' died young from living too hard and fast, and many became Ecstasy casualties when they took a break from the terraces and virtually invented the rave scene.

Already books like the classic 'Casuals' by Phil Thornton have gone beyond the fighting, and looked at the clothes, the days out, the music, the drugs, of those great days. 'A Casual Look' by our own Nick 'Harvey' is another one.

It's easy to buy the press line of 'mindless thugs', but the scene is/was far, far more than that. It has influenced more than you think too, but that's another story not fit for an already too long post on this place.
unless you were part of the scene this breakdown will go straight over the heads of a lot of people on here

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

The liberal press hadn't a f***ing clue about the casuals until 84-85, when Millwall ripped up Luton and legged the coppers everywhere, in expensive leather coats, nice haircuts and Lois jeans. The 'scene' started on Merseyside in 1977 FFS, that's how long it took the press to catch on something was there among the youth that they knew f*** all about. The casual scene was frowned upon because their style and ethos hadn't been dictated to by GQ, or NME, or any other liberal establishment rag.

:thumbsup: it was different then.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
'The 'scene' started on Merseyside in 1977 '

I had to explain this to the admin of the Liverpool EDL page who was announcing that it was a 'southern' thing...the mind boggles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here